Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why no back tools on the wood saw?

us Online Enginears

Why no back tools on the wood saw?
on: February 18, 2023, 02:19:39 AM
I am curious if anyone has insight as to why victorinox has multiple springs for the wood saw? Like on the Camper and Huntsman you get no backside tool, but on the swiss champ and Handyman you do. Is this a kind of incentive or differentiation to set apart the big knives and the smaller?  Is there any other layer that has multiple springs depending on the knife?

us Offline tjfarrington2000

Re: Why no back tools on the wood saw?
Reply #1 on: February 18, 2023, 02:37:03 AM
It must be down to manufacturing cost, complexity and marketing.
If you think about it why would Victorinox put the maximum number of tools in a layer when they can sell a more expensive product that costs only marginally more to produce and has much higher margins? Not to mention the Swisschamp appeals to people who are willing and able to pay more for maximum perceived utility, whereas the huntsman is aimed at more price sensitive consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Helvetica Bold

Reply #2 on: February 18, 2023, 10:16:30 AM
Possibly price but as they are making the back tool springs anyway how much more would a chisel or small screwdriver actually add I wonder I think it’s more differentiation or just that the huntsman is such a classic and perfectly honed toolset why change it ;0)

us Online Enginears

Reply #3 on: February 18, 2023, 08:18:23 PM
It must be down to manufacturing cost, complexity and marketing.
If you think about it why would Victorinox put the maximum number of tools in a layer when they can sell a more expensive product that costs only marginally more to produce and has much higher margins? Not to mention the Swisschamp appeals to people who are willing and able to pay more for maximum perceived utility, whereas the huntsman is aimed at more price sensitive consumers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It may be. Maybe in the assembly lines or tooling setups there is some manufacturing pro for retaining two different springs. Its interesting that they did not retain the old scissor spring for the smaller models with scissors.

Possibly price but as they are making the back tool springs anyway how much more would a chisel or small screwdriver actually add I wonder I think it’s more differentiation or just that the huntsman is such a classic and perfectly honed toolset why change it ;0)

I am on the fence about the price, surely it is more to maintain two sets of manufacturing gear for the two different saw springs. The Huntsman was my first love, I have never owned one that had the old scissor spring, but it is quite perfect with the hook. I don’t know though, can’t help but wonder would the camper and huntsman be better if they had a back chisel? Maybe on the fieldmaster it would be the small flathead.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #4 on: February 19, 2023, 02:54:50 AM
It's usually the electrician's screwdriver on the back of the saw... and yet a chisel would make for some useful woodworking and bushcrafting functions.

us Offline FolderBeholder

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #5 on: February 19, 2023, 03:06:29 AM
I would have loved to have had a small screw driver on the back of my first Camper.  I didn't know certain saw springs accommodate a back tool.  Appreciate the information.  :hatsoff:
Rest in peace ColoSwiss, you will always be remembered.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: February 19, 2023, 06:03:35 AM
It's usually the electrician's screwdriver on the back of the saw... and yet a chisel would make for some useful woodworking and bushcrafting functions.
:iagree: I like the chisel, but the metal saw is something I have little use for.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #7 on: February 20, 2023, 02:44:13 AM
:iagree: I like the chisel, but the metal saw is something I have little use for.
If you use the woodsaw for anything, then the metal saw/file comes in handy for filing down the rough-sawn edges.
Useful for general woodworking, and essential if what you just sawed will be handled by small children...

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2023, 05:55:49 AM
If you use the woodsaw for anything, then the metal saw/file comes in handy for filing down the rough-sawn edges.
I've never found the teeth on the metal saw particularly effective, but the file does a bang-up job. I shouldn't overlook it!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

gb Offline Tasky

Reply #9 on: February 20, 2023, 09:36:51 PM
I've never found the teeth on the metal saw particularly effective, but the file does a bang-up job. I shouldn't overlook it!
In lieu of Vic offering nail files instead of the pen blade on most models, the Fine side of the file also works on finger and toe nails... plus the tip is intended as a nail cleaner, as well as working very well on many small Phillips screws - Good compliment to the can opener tip, which does 3mm slotted screws and some larger Phillips screws.
The metal saw edge is OK, but not meant for heavy use or really tough metals... but does well on soft metals and things like plastic.
I made much use of it when I was cutting holes in plastic electrical junction boxes, which is where I also made the most use of the electricians' screwdriver on the back side.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%