Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Listing for this year's Swiss Spirit. New model: Companion w/ package opener.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
https://capa.com.vn/products/dao-xep-da-nang-victorinox-companion-wood-swiss-spirit-limited-edition-2023

First sign of an actual listing for the new Companion as this year's Swiss Spirit with some nice wood scales. The same site also has listings for some new thumb studded Hunter Pros.

Can't confirm, but looks legit to me.

companion.jpg
* companion.jpg (Filesize: 122.59 KB)

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Nice set of tools on that SAK, is it sold as a regular model also?

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
It's not listed on the site, but nothing I've heard suggests that it'll be super limited edition only. There's been a few mockups of it in the traditional red cellidor scales floating around, but I don't think I've seen anything official.

I would say that I don't see how doing unique tooling for an LE like this would make sense, but Vic's been doing it quite a bit lately. Everything I've heard has pointed to it dropping as a regular model "summerish" this year.

it Offline Mini

It's interesting, if there will be a cellidor version I will buy one.

us Offline Enginears

I think that toolset has the potential to appeal to a lot people who EDC a sak in urban settings, and need a little more prying and screwing than the compact offers. I had my doubts about a package opener tool, but it looks like you will still have the prying and 2d phillips functions intact still.

gb Offline Rizio Il Ghiro

• No Life Club
Interesting - what is that new can opener? The new box cutter blade?  :dunno:

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
For me, it just comes down to what does the package opener actually do? I'm willing to consider swapping my second blade for a file. But the can opener does a lot of work (extra-small blade, can opener, package opener, bigger hook...) If all it does is open clamshells a bit better, I can't see making the trade.

us Offline marlowe221

I’m with you there.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the ideas of ANY new tool on a SAK is pretty exciting. After all, it doesn’t happen very often.

That said, I’ll be very curious to see a real life image of it and what it can actually do. The current can opener is a great tool as it stands right now, so who knows.

Also, I will be waiting for a standard cellidor version as well.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Same. I assume I'll get one (probably in celli, unless the spirit is very reasonably priced) just to check it out. First new 91 tool since I got into SAKs.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

So are clamshells somewhere else such a chore to open you need a special tool over a sharp knife?

Never been opening one with my sharp knife  and wished I had a special tool for the job.

That said the 91mm compatible finger nail cleaner/file has my pants pretty tight.

us Offline Enginears

So are clamshells somewhere else such a chore to open you need a special tool over a sharp knife?

Never been opening one with my sharp knife  and wished I had a special tool for the job.

That said the 91mm compatible finger nail cleaner/file has my pants pretty tight.

I feel about the same. I like opening clam shell packages with a sharp blade. I am curious to see a demo of how that tool will puncture the plastic initially, some of them are pretty tough.

Offline mansedan

If the Companion is legit, it's going to absolutely blow up the Instagram EDC community. 

us Offline Sos24

I will give it a try.

I was hoping the package opener would resemble the SwissTool Spirit chisel tool/package opener and be in place of small blade.  I don’t usually open cans when I’m mot home with a regular can opener, and even then many cans now have pull tabs.  So if it can be used to open packages and still work as a phillips, it could still meet my needs.  Plus I love the file addition.

au Offline Echotech

I will give it a try.

I was hoping the package opener would resemble the SwissTool Spirit chisel tool/package opener and be in place of small blade.  I don’t usually open cans when I’m mot home with a regular can opener, and even then many cans now have pull tabs.  So if it can be used to open packages and still work as a phillips, it could still meet my needs.  Plus I love the file addition.

:iagree:

You've summed summed up my thoughts pretty exactly Sos  :tu:

I miss the nail cleaner/file from the cadet when not carrying it (the one on the rambler being a flathead isn't as effective), would've liked the chiselly thing from the spirit and don't open cans nearly as often as clamshells so think this newbie could be a winner

us Offline marlowe221

I agree about clamshells and a sharp knife.

That said, some people like to half-jokingly refer to the can opener as the "Macgyver tool" because it has so many great unofficial uses. If the mutation of the can opener into the "package opener" adds anything to the Macgyver-ness of the current can opener, I would be pretty excited about that.

us Online nate j

• No Life Club
Assuming this is legit, it’s interesting.  I am glad to see Vic at least try something different.

However, as some others have noted, I just can’t see much value in a dedicated package opener on a MT that already has a knife blade.  (Now, if it were able to be included on a “TSA approved” bladeless version, it would be worth having in that context IMO.)

While I don’t use the SAK can opener regularly, it has saved the day (or at least the meal) for me a few times, whether camping, moving, or on vacation, so I appreciate having it.

At least they kept the small flat screwdriver portion on the package opener.

While I do like more than one blade, I have to admit that replacing the small blade with the nail file expands the capabilities of the MT.  And I normally carry more than one knife anyway…

us Offline Buzzbait

I think the package opener tool is not elegant looking. LOL.

But, I'm cool with the new tool if it works well. I don't enjoy using a knife blade to open clamshells, because you often have to cut your way around a square of circle, and starting the cut often requires quite a bit of force. The knife blade easily flies through the clamshell and exits in an uncontrolled manner. Really easy to cut yourself or something else. The new tool looks far safer than a blade.

Scissors work well on clamshells, but SAK scissors always seem a bit underpowered for that particular task.

I'm also very cool with the nail file replacing the small blade. The small spear blade is always the one tool I never seem to use of a SAK. It's very redundant. Nail file is good. A sheepsfoot blade would be welcome as well.
--
'Buzz

Offline Helvetica Bold

I like the small blade but also think a file is pretty much essential on an urban edc so that’s a good extension to choice on the 91s for me. Not a fan of the box cutter design and can’t really see why a tool with a blade, scissors and and the reamer - not to mention the already sharp and adaptable can opener would really need one. I like the fact that a new tool had been developed but probably not for me this one…until it’s readily available as a standard cello for model and I can’t help myself of course!  :rofl:

us Offline Sos24

I know several people have said “why do you need a package opener when you have a blade” or similar. 

In answer, I personally like a separate tool to open packages in order to help preserve the sharpness of the blade for other knife tasks.  No you don’t need it, but it is nice.  It is similar to the reason some people like multiple blades.

Now if the “package opener” is only good at clamshell packages then yes it is a waste.  But if it can cut tape, open boxes and open clamshells while still having the mini driver; that could be nice.

I guess in the end, its utility remains to be seen until the first of those willing to try it.

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
I don't think this is legit. It doesn't look right.
Of all the blades I've ever used to open packages, cut boxes and so on, serrated blades were always the least effective and the most faff to clean up afterward... and all the dedicated box cutter/package opener tools I could find on Google seem to support the use of straight blades, regardless of individual configuration or shape.

Offline gadgetman7

I’d like to see a video of the package opener before I pass judgment on it. However, I do not like the file in place of the small blade. I use the small blade all of the time and have no use for a dedicated nail file.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
February Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Feb 29
Total Receipts: $183.42
PayPal Fees: $9.67
Net Balance: $173.75
Below Goal: $126.25
Site Currency: USD
58%