Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

// US Pat JPST - SLR - Can Opener Variants

us Offline Legend

// US Pat JPST - SLR - Can Opener Variants
on: January 28, 2023, 06:48:22 AM
Collecting PST takes me down some very strange paths.  You get one, then another, then add yourself a Japan BIG LETTER version.

Next, you look closer and hunt down different handle stampings like these US Patent versions.

You’re sitting pretty good, then realize this US Patent version was the first to feature the added lanyard ring, but there are 3 variations of that too based on size and placement of those lanyard rings.  You grab one of each, a duplicate, then compare and you see yet another level to the insanity.

This is such a small nuanced difference, but it marks one of the first major component design overhauls to the original PST.  Somewhere in the chain of production of these two PST’s, which are completely identical all the way down the file, each PST caught one slight component variation: the can opener. 

The older style Japan can opener received a major restyle to make it more right hand friendly.

Featured here: Left vs. Right Handed Can Openers on my US Pat JPST Small Lanyard Ring Variants.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: // US Pat JPST - SLR - Can Opener Variants
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2023, 02:22:58 PM
Legend, thank you for sharing!

The can openers are very different to be sure.

I just caught my first PST this summer, and handling it frequently since, I appreciate the handiness of the tool and it’s design.  Knowing that AWL other LM tools were spawned from this original😎

Strange, it never occurred to me that I could collect different variants  :oops: :twak: :twak:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Legend

Reply #2 on: January 28, 2023, 02:46:03 PM
Legend, thank you for sharing!

The can openers are very different to be sure.

I just caught my first PST this summer, and handling it frequently since, I appreciate the handiness of the tool and it’s design.  Knowing that AWL other LM tools were spawned from this original

Strange, it never occurred to me that I could collect different variants  :oops: :twak: :twak:
It’s a great big rabbit hole, but much less expensive than collecting some of the more modern models.  Plus, it’s a journey into the heritage of Leatherman tools and how it all progressed.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2023, 05:15:33 PM
The PST is a fun one to collect for sure  :tu: it can get a bit expensive even with the price some can be had for but most of them that you buy can be totally different from the last one :woohoo: Great left and right hand can opener pics, Legend :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Legend

Reply #4 on: January 28, 2023, 05:28:44 PM
The PST is a fun one to collect for sure  :tu: it can get a bit expensive even with the price some can be had for but most of them that you buy can be totally different from the last one :woohoo: Great left and right hand can opener pics, Legend :woohoo: :like:
I agree.  Thanks Poncho.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD