Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Traditional knives I like to carry.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Traditional knives I like to carry.
on: February 01, 2023, 10:25:17 PM
TLDR, I have lots of wonderful trads.       

I find myself picking my trads similar to how I would a pair my suit, shirt, tie, belt or braces, shoes, socks, pocket square, cuff links, and so on.  Yeah I pick patterns to compliment each other.  I pick shapes that match well.   

In no particular order. 

Size of knife.  Since I'll usually start with my Tony Bose stockman I'm more looking to add smaller knives.   Larger knives have their place but shouldn't take the place of smaller knives IMO.  If I'm choosing something other than my TB Stockman then I'll still be a larger knife.  One that comes to mind is my Large Copperhead another is my Tribal Lock and on that note my Copper lock.  There are a couple that I'd also consider large but lets move on to the next size. 

My medium size trads are mostly my worker trads.  I find this size suitable for most things I use a folding knife for.  Case medium stockman comes to mind.  I also enjoy carrying my Robeson stockman.  My Barlows also fit this size for me and clearly are made to work.  What I like about this size most is my larger trads tend to be food prep while these are my working knives. 

I really enjoy carrying a smaller trad.  These are incredibly useful when discretion is needed or wanted.  They are terrific box/package openers.  Your favorite chip bag needs opening?  I reach for my mini copperhead.  I don't even use my fingers for foil tops anymore, I use my mini/small trads.  My little ones are great and to my mind are akin to my 58mm SAKs complimenting my larger SAK.

Blade materials.  I like carbon just like the next person.  I also appreciate SS for many reasons.  Because trads come in many flavors these days I can be choosy.  Well, somewhat since my collection has only a few flavors ;)

My Tony Bose Stockman is 154CM.  Can't hardly beat that material for a blade.  Being a stockman thats 3 blades in 154CM so a major win for me.  154CM is a versatile steel so using it on any and everything is no problem.  My carbon choices are almost always my utility blades.  My worker blades if you will.  They take a keen edge and are quick to touch up.  I also appreciate patina.  Case SS is a great choice for me as my go to for all things food.  No wiping of blades for me, I like to wash them when prepping or using on food. 

Number of Blades.  Lets talk stockmen.  Why would I "need" any other knives?  If I have 3 terrific blade choices to choose from what gives?  On my TB stockman I have three 154CM blades at that.  Well, glad ya asked.  Cause I want to.  Its really this simple.

I have long gone away from thinking I have too many cutting edges with me.  I'm a knife enthusiast.  I enjoy blades.  Its not about always have a sharp edge on me.  It not always having the right knife for the job.  I enjoy knives so I'll carry what I like.       

Pattern.  Have I mentioned my TB stockman?  What else does one need/want beyond that?  I'll tell you.  In my everyday life I cook, garden, work, clean house, shop, fix things around the house, open mail, take out the trash, yard work ( not garden ), and many other things like most of you.  I'm farily busy day to day.  While I could use my stockman for all thee above, why?  Seriously.  Why would I?  I am not limited to only that knife.  Have I mentioned I like and enjoy knives?  I have learned quite a lot so I have picked up several patterns.  Each one try I like.  I'm easy that way.

I like Barlows for what they are, working knives.  They are stout and can take the work they are intended for.  The same goes for my Sodbuster, its a great working knife. 
I like Copperhead pattern for the ergos.  The build lends itself to the bolster covering the tang when closed.  The edge of the tang is not sticking up.  I appreciate this.  I have some sunken joint knives but the Copperhead is one I fancy. 
Stockman pattern is one I immediately liked.     
Trapper, yes I like it as well.  While I don't skin or process animals I've caught, I do use mine in the kitchen.
I am still learning many pattern names but with each one I get I truly enjoy it.         

While work days have me carrying 1 trad, most off days have me carrying 2-3.  Ok they don't have drivers or saws, no they don't have other tools, they are incredibly fun.   Most of mine have had previous owners.  I love a tool with history.  While I may never learn of my trads history I can sure romanticize about it.  What I can learn is lot about the pattern and company that produced it.  Thats been a fun part of carrying and collecting trads for me. 

Thank you for reading.  Whats your story?

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Traditional knives I like to carry.
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 05:35:29 AM

:like:

My abbreviated story is that I like Traditional knives and their history. I like to carry them as well as collect them   :D

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 05:59:01 AM
Good read! :tu:

My trad journey started with admiring my Dad's Old Timer. I bought a Case Peanut and was delighted with its look and craftsmanship. Then I discovered Trappers...and that they were a little large for me to legally carry in the city. I went for the Stockman next. Nowadays, any trad other than a Barlow or a leg knife might appeal to me, but I really like those decked out in Micarta.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 03:03:06 PM
I should have said exactly what you did Steve since it agree fully.  The more I learn the more I am loving them.

FarmerX, unfortunately I didn't have anyone's trad to admire growing up.  It was 2012 or 2013 that I got my first.  I was too immersed in my LM journey to go anywhere with trads then. 

Thanks to the traditional thread I stayed connected. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: February 03, 2023, 12:44:52 AM
I don't carry trads near enough anymore but I got my first one almost before I could talk :D

My dad and both grandfathers always had a knife and also one of my grandmothers :cheers:

That older generation and my dad's generation really put a love of sharp and shinys in me that I still have today :woohoo:

I have lots of different ones to choose from but apart from trappers and tockman (sowbellys in particular  :drool: ) I really love the congress pattern :whistle: not many here seem to carry that pattern but even today my dad used his trusty 4 bladed congress to cut a plastic strap or two, so we could unload some lumber :cheers:

I have a bit of this and that in handle material but I would say that stag is a favorite followed by bone :tu: other newer materials are great but that is what I enjoy in a trad :like:

Having said all that, I carry a SAK and a knife I built for myself (Charge Knife) that ticks all the boxes for me and also usually a couple blades in a MT, so I don't carry a trad near as much as I use to :facepalm: :D

They are still very nice to look at though :D :drool: :like: :like:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 03, 2023, 12:54:03 AM
I have now had this little half congress Boker for at least 30 years :o definitely a favorite of mine :salute: I even remember the day my dad and mom bought it for me at the Flea Market  :D they made sure to let me know that it is a really good knife and  needed to take care of it (I was rough on everything back them :ahhh :rofl: ) but I loved this knife (it is about the same size as a Vic Executive) and carried it a lot over the years  :dd:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: February 03, 2023, 03:46:59 AM
And this is why I love trads.  Awesome knife.  It seems your baby girl is also a bit of a sharp thing lover.   :D  Good for you. 

2023 vault pattern from Case this year is the Congress. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: February 03, 2023, 12:28:08 PM
She does indeed love knives but not hardly as much as me  :D She uses them as tools which does make me very proud though 8) :like:

Did not know that the 2023 Vault Pattern for Case was the congress :ahhh :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: February 03, 2023, 03:53:24 PM
All the more awesome about your daughter. 

Yes I was excited to see the Congress this year.  So many great handle materials I'm sure will come down the pipeline. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #9 on: February 03, 2023, 05:31:18 PM
Back when I was a kid the only knives I knew about were the Barlows that I saw on the hardware store checkout counters.  It was only after I got a second hand Boy Scout knife, from my cousin, that I realized there was more to this knife thing.
For years after, I was an accumulator.  Whenever we went on vacation I'd always pick up something that I liked.
In 2002 I picked up my first CASE Seahorse Whittler.  This started my collecting.
Nowadays, I almost always have a large stockman knife.  While I do have plenty smaller knives,  a larger than 4 inch stockman is my preference.  This old Rough Rider at 4.5 inches has to be my favorite.

rough rider edc.jpg
* rough rider edc.jpg (Filesize: 199.46 KB)

It was red jigged bone but it's been smoothed and dyed brown.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 06:07:30 PM
Thats a fine looking knife.  The Seahorse whittler is also a nice looking knife. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 06:54:42 PM
 :iagree: :tu:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #12 on: February 03, 2023, 08:05:08 PM
Thats a fine looking knife.  The Seahorse whittler is also a nice looking knife. 
Thanks.
I absolutely love the Seahorse when I'm carving peach pits.  The wharnie is perfect, just not for everyday needs.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: February 03, 2023, 08:52:57 PM
I do not leave the house without a traditional style knife in my pocket.  I take as much time selecting my carry as I do the shirt I will wear. 

The Canoe pattern is my pattern of choice normally, the Tribal Lock by Case my 2nd with Stockman third or some days awl three.

Buck 112 is go to for work knife. And hunting choice.

My first knife I bought for me was a Trapper from a drug store, snuck the purchase as I road the few miles there early morning.  Used that knife for farm work, then cleaning rabbits and trapped muskrats for fur. Still have that knife.

Swiss Army size knives filled my pocket, viz my professional career.  Classic to Manager (Vagabond).   Then as business was absorbed, I was relieved Red d then moved into speciality construction, and tactical and MTs took over. But my involvement here reintroduced me to the older style pocket knives, aka Traditionals, Slip joints, Jack knife, etc.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:24:25 PM by LoopCutter »
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #14 on: February 03, 2023, 11:27:43 PM
Its sure is nice to have you back, with traditionals.  The pics you take are great.  I also love seeing your Canoes.  It really neat to hear what each of us gravitates to.  I'm all over the place but I'm still young with traditionals. 

I really like the Stockman pattern.  Today I also carried my Tribal lock.  Such a wonderful knife in every way. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #15 on: February 04, 2023, 06:20:54 AM
I really love the congress pattern :whistle:
I'm a recent convert. It's nice to have a bigger knife that doesn't run afoul of blade length limits.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #16 on: February 08, 2023, 07:42:52 PM
Today I selected two knives for my carry.

But, before departure I pulled the Schrade and set o the counter, no tobacco to cut today🙄

A newer Canoe in Burlwood was tucked into the pocket.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #17 on: February 08, 2023, 10:02:33 PM
That Schrade is a beauty.  Burl wood Canoe  :D

I went with my Sowbelly today.  I also had my Copperhead which I laid down on the kitchen counter and never put it back into my pocket  ;).

* IMG_7443.jpg (Filesize: 123.07 KB)

* IMG_7447.jpg (Filesize: 162.37 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: February 10, 2023, 04:12:30 PM
Heres a good example of SS and Carbon goodness.  I like the combination of both type blade steels.  The slender blade of the Kutmaster and small pen blade make for really nice all around knives.  My Copperhead is food and "clean" stuff. 

* IMG_7468.jpg (Filesize: 171.18 KB)
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #19 on: February 10, 2023, 05:15:56 PM
Dang, that blue ones nice!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2023, 05:37:14 PM
My picture didn't do it any justice.  Its really very pretty.  Catherine dang near took it when she saw it.  After several negotiations  :rofl: I kept it.  Who knew she was also into trads? 

She did end up with a very nice grey Case peanut  :(.
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #21 on: February 10, 2023, 09:45:45 PM
You were very fortunate to negotiate a solution.  From my 46 years of being with my dear partner, my experience was if she wanted it, it became hers. 

Then, in the end, I got it awl back😢

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #22 on: February 11, 2023, 06:36:37 AM
Perhaps Catherine would like a Peanut in Caribbean blue bone?

https://www.casexx.com/Details/?ProductCode=25596&Patid=40
USN 2000-2006

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: February 12, 2023, 04:28:10 PM
I would too  :rofl:.  I'll have to show her this  :salute:.  Thank you.  SHC is a dangerous place for me.  I spied a few Tony Bose knives  :ahhh.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #24 on: February 13, 2023, 06:06:27 AM
One can indeed spend a lot of money at Shepherd Hills. Proceed with caution!
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%