Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How do I return my damaged SAK

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
How do I return my damaged SAK
on: February 02, 2023, 04:16:56 PM
So I have an old Champion Plus with a bent saw and in rough shape.

I want to send it in for repair/tune up and rooted around on the Victorinox web site and there was something about how much I would be willing to pay for the repair.

It isn’t free? Am I looni g at the wrong thing?

us Offline cody6268

Re: How do I return my damaged SAK
Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 04:28:30 PM
Technically, I think it's just a preauthorization of what your estimate is; and they call if it costs more than that.

I think I slapped down $10 on a totally worn-out 84mm Craftsman, and less on a Pioneer (broken awl), and a mess of a SwissTool.

I got billed just that, and the Craftsman was fully rebuilt, and the Pioneer and SwissTool totally replaced (and I got the old ones back--put the Pioneer to use as a work knife, and the SwissTool honestly I wish they'd kept).

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 04:34:39 PM
Technically, I think it's just a preauthorization of what your estimate is; and they call if it costs more than that.

I think I slapped down $10 on a totally worn-out 84mm Craftsman, and less on a Pioneer (broken awl), and a mess of a SwissTool.

I got billed just that, and the Craftsman was fully rebuilt, and the Pioneer and SwissTool totally replaced (and I got the old ones back--put the Pioneer to use as a work knife, and the SwissTool honestly I wish they'd kept).

Ok so I am in the right place. Interesting they have a pre approval like that.

The tools will go all the way back to Switzerland for repair? I am in the US.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #3 on: February 04, 2023, 06:09:17 AM
The two I sent in for repair stayed stateside, and I only paid shipping both ways.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 11:48:26 AM
It used to be free- you paid to ship it to them and they fixed or replaced at their discretion and sent it back.  I think the policy has been abused far too many times, and so the payment system was initiated to try and mitigate people taking advantage.

I know of a few eBay sellers that would buy TSA lots, weed out the nasty ones and send them to Victorinox for warranty replacement than sell the brand new knives that they paid next to nothing for.

As I recall, Leatherman has been considering a similar policy, but I don't know if they ever implemented it.  I imagine most manufacturers that have a similar type warranty have been experiencing the same issue.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%