Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The LTT (Linus Tech Tips) screwdriver.

wales Offline Smashie

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Smurf it!
on: February 06, 2023, 10:06:45 AM

What does a YouTuber do when his favourite Snap On screwdriver breaks? Buy another, or design and build your own.

By the way, his main channel has over 15 million subscribers, think about that.

I think you can guess that he went for the second option, that decision took around 3 years to make its way into people's hands.

Now there are plenty of companies making screwdrivers, so they did partner with Megapro for the ratcheting mechanism and shaft. These though are made of their own design. The handle is made in Canada with a local company and LMG (Linus Media Group) own the moulds. So, no problems with IP theft from a certain other country. So it's an all Canada product, that can only be a good thing.

There are two videos that give the full skinny on the screwdriver way better than I can manage. One by LTT and the testing (to destruction) by Project Farm.

Not too pricey, a bit of a wait on them as they are very popular. Price wise at $70 I think it's pretty middle of the road and not too expensive. The black shafts on mine will wear over time, so they're a limited run. Quite frankly, I don't care if they do, so long as it remains a functioning screwdriver.

My only gripe is the included Robertson bits, as far as I can work out they are just about a Canadadia exclusive, I've never seen a Robertson screw. But hey, not a dealbreaker.

I've bought the extra packs of 'shorty' bits, plus I've got plenty of Wera bits as well.

Coming in the future is a stubby version, a bit holder that's more durable than the 3d-printed versions on thingaverse or Etsy. Also, (the one I'm excited about) a belt sheath/holster.

The eagle eyed among you will already have noticed I've bought two of them.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates
"I'm not feeling very talky today, off you smurf". - Smashie
Complaining is mental preparation for failure.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Re: The LTT (Linus Tech Tips) screwdriver.
Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 02:38:03 PM
And now updated for added bit ness.

I've had all bar one of the extra bit sets sitting here for a few weeks now, but I was waiting for the box to put them in.

So, here it is, the bits, missing one set because who needs imperial hex? And the tin to put them in. It's the size of an altoids tin but has a 3D printed jobbie in the bottom to hold the bits. LMG have said they are going to make one, which I will inevitably buy, but as they take a long time to produce things like this. This one will do as a stopgap.

Before everyone with 1/4” bits rushes off to Etsy to find this delight of bittlyness. It only fits bitts up to 20 mm in length.

PS my spell checker has had a meltdown over this post for some reason.

“Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.” - Socrates

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: March 25, 2023, 11:34:12 AM
Fantastic! I've seen Project Farm's screwdriver video, great stuff. :like:

wales Offline Smashie

• Smurf it!
Reply #3 on: March 26, 2023, 04:40:48 AM
An update to this. A stubby version of the driver is coming and there is no longer a wait for the screwdriver.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #4 on: March 26, 2023, 10:40:22 AM
Stubby ratcheting bit driver with storage? :gimme: :like:
Looking good.

* Untitled.jpg (Filesize: 6.19 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85