Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

The hits keep coming

Sos24 · 95 · 3043

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
The hits keep coming
on: February 09, 2023, 03:20:40 AM
I mentioned in a couple of threads that I fell and hurt my foot last month.  The fall left me on crutches and in a medical boot for 6 weeks.  At the 2 week follow-up, I was hoping for good news.  I actually got the opposite of their is more damage than what showed up on the first set of x-rays.  Now I’m just hoping I can avoid surgery which would be a 5+ month recovery.

Plans have been cancelled.  My wife is awesome but having to do so much more.  Fisher is having a hard time understanding.  I’m going stir-crazy sitting around and not being able to do much of anything. 

Thankfully, there is a big field about 25ft from my house, where I can sit while Fisher is on a long lead, so we get some outside time.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Re: The hits keep coming
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 03:32:15 AM
All my hopes and wishes that you don't have to get surgery and for a speedy recovery.   I guess if there's any upside to this at all it's that it's in the winter.  If you need anything at all please let me know!
Barry

au Offline Echotech

Reply #2 on: February 09, 2023, 03:33:35 AM
That’s rotten news Sos very sorry to hear it. Wishing you a speedy recovery

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2023, 03:37:47 AM
That stinks Sherry, best wishes for you to avoid surgery and heal without it.   :cheers:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2023, 03:43:10 AM
I hate to hear about this, Sherry. I do hope that that your foot heals well and that you avoid surgery.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #5 on: February 09, 2023, 05:50:54 AM
Damn. I hope you don't need any additional surgery, and that you're fully recovered soon.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Sos24

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2023, 07:36:35 AM
Thanks all for the well wishes.  I was just feeling down. 

After the one diagnosis, I was strictly following doctors orders and had my hopes set on 6 weeks.  So it was a real mental blow to hear it was worse than thought instead of getting better.  On top of that most of what I’ve read online about my type of injury (Lisfranc) is discouraging.

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #7 on: February 09, 2023, 11:51:33 AM
I'm super sorry to hear this- as someone who is well versed in foot issues (I have 8 screws and a plate in my left foot and two screws in my right tibia, plus I worked as an orthotic tech for a while) I absolutely feel your pain and frustration.

When I broke the right ankle I almost had the same experience as you- although I guess I did, just a bit faster as luck would have it.

I had been told by the ER doc that I had two fractures and that I would get a boot and be sent home, while an orthopedic surgeon would follow up with me in a few days.  I was relieved, as a boot meant I'd be down for six weeks instead of the minimum 3 months I had experienced when I broke my left ankle years ago.

As I waited for my discharge and prescription from the ER doctor, a different doctor came up to me and said "Hi, I'm Doctor O'Brian and we are going to book you in later today for surgery and possible hardware installation."

I said "I'm sorry Doc, I think you have the wrong person- I'm getting a boot and going home."

He replied "oh, are you Grant?"

Heart sinking, I said "..... yes....."

And he said "Hi Grant, I'm Doctor O'Brian and we are going to book you in later today for surgery and possible hardware installation."

That's when I knew that it was going to be months before I could stand up, walk or be normal.   :facepalm:

Megan and I had big plans at the time as well- we were in the process of moving a thousand miles away- in fact, she was already gone and I was supposed to handle things on this end and go meet up with her, but that wasn't going to happen now.

I'm now seven years on from that injury, and 20+ years on from the previous injury and I can honestly tell you that it's well worth taking a few months now and doing everything properly.  If you push yourself too hard (I went back to work before I was supposed to be walking the first time around) it will smurf you up more than you think later on.

Take the time you need now to manage it properly- go to physiotherapy (if recommended) and allow it to heal and strengthen properly. 

If you need someone to talk to, or have any questions that you may not want in public, my door is always open.  I'm available.on Whatsapp, FB messenger, IG messenger and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Most of all, hang in there- its not a great situation, but it's still not as bad as it could be, and your actions can make all the difference between the best possible outcome and the worst. 

We are here for you!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #8 on: February 09, 2023, 12:56:08 PM
I'm super sorry to hear this- as someone who is well versed in foot issues (I have 8 screws and a plate in my left foot and two screws in my right tibia, plus I worked as an orthotic tech for a while) I absolutely feel your pain and frustration.

When I broke the right ankle I almost had the same experience as you- although I guess I did, just a bit faster as luck would have it.

I had been told by the ER doc that I had two fractures and that I would get a boot and be sent home, while an orthopedic surgeon would follow up with me in a few days.  I was relieved, as a boot meant I'd be down for six weeks instead of the minimum 3 months I had experienced when I broke my left ankle years ago.

As I waited for my discharge and prescription from the ER doctor, a different doctor came up to me and said "Hi, I'm Doctor O'Brian and we are going to book you in later today for surgery and possible hardware installation."

I said "I'm sorry Doc, I think you have the wrong person- I'm getting a boot and going home."

He replied "oh, are you Grant?"

Heart sinking, I said "..... yes....."

And he said "Hi Grant, I'm Doctor O'Brian and we are going to book you in later today for surgery and possible hardware installation."

That's when I knew that it was going to be months before I could stand up, walk or be normal.   :facepalm:

Megan and I had big plans at the time as well- we were in the process of moving a thousand miles away- in fact, she was already gone and I was supposed to handle things on this end and go meet up with her, but that wasn't going to happen now.

I'm now seven years on from that injury, and 20+ years on from the previous injury and I can honestly tell you that it's well worth taking a few months now and doing everything properly.  If you push yourself too hard (I went back to work before I was supposed to be walking the first time around) it will smurf you up more than you think later on.

Take the time you need now to manage it properly- go to physiotherapy (if recommended) and allow it to heal and strengthen properly. 

If you need someone to talk to, or have any questions that you may not want in public, my door is always open.  I'm available.on Whatsapp, FB messenger, IG messenger and probably a few others that I can't think of at the moment.

Most of all, hang in there- its not a great situation, but it's still not as bad as it could be, and your actions can make all the difference between the best possible outcome and the worst. 

We are here for you!

Def
Thanks Def for the relating of your experience and offer to listen.

It definitely sounds like you can relate and have a lot of experience. 

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #9 on: February 09, 2023, 03:01:47 PM
Best wishes and prayers, Sos :salute: sorry to hear the news and hope you are able to get better without the need for surgery :ahhh :tu:

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #10 on: February 09, 2023, 03:36:52 PM
Damn, sorry to hear about this. Speedy recovery in any case, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Try to keep your sprits up!

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #11 on: February 09, 2023, 03:56:15 PM
Sherry, I'm wishing you a speedy recovery, hopefully without needing surgery.  Do what the doctors tell you and don't try to do too much before you're ready. :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #12 on: February 09, 2023, 04:43:40 PM
 :(

Aww so sorry Sherry.  Its sucks to go from  :woohoo: to  :ahhh.  You have a bunch of folks here at MTO wishing you the absolute very best outcome. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Sos24

Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 07:05:44 PM
:(

Aww so sorry Sherry.  Its sucks to go from  :woohoo: to  :ahhh.  You have a bunch of folks here at MTO wishing you the absolute very best outcome.
That is what did it. 

If I was told how bad initially it would have sucked, but I also was prepared (hope for best, expect the worse). 

But hearing that it is worse than thought after 2-weeks of thinking it was getting better was really deflating.

I really do appreciate this community and knew I would find some well wishes.

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #14 on: February 09, 2023, 07:57:26 PM
You'll be fine Sherry, it just takes a little longer.
Meanwhile we're here for you if you need some company :hug:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #15 on: February 11, 2023, 06:56:23 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hope you get better soon. Meanwhile, make the best of it. Sit outside in the sun, with a good book and a cold drink. It'll help pass the time faster.

:cheers: :salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Sos24

Reply #16 on: February 11, 2023, 07:55:04 PM
Sorry to hear this. Hope you get better soon. Meanwhile, make the best of it. Sit outside in the sun, with a good book and a cold drink. It'll help pass the time faster.

:cheers: :salute:
I’ve been sitting outside with Fisher a lot   It wasn’t in the sun or with a book, but did the outside and cold drink part last night. 
One of favorite activities to clear my. head

Fisher kept me company

us Offline ToolJoe

• No Life Club
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2023, 08:50:57 PM
Nice coozie. Go Birds.
I knew my wife was a keeper when she transitioned from calling it a knife thingy to a multi-tool.

I might be crazy but it's kept me from going insane- Waylon Jennings

us Offline Sos24

Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 11:15:27 AM
Nice coozie. Go Birds.
:tu: Sad to see them lose, but glad they made it.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 12:34:54 PM
Any updates to share with the class?   :pok:  :D

Hope you are doing at least a little better!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Sos24

Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 01:24:59 AM
Any updates to share with the class?   :pok:  :D

Hope you are doing at least a little better!

Def
The pain as decreased significantly and I am able to put a little weight on the foot while still using crutches.

I go back to the doctor on 07Mar.  If it is healing properly, I should be able to transition from the boot to a medical shoe.

Being able to move a little better has allowed me to spend some time outdoors.  Even just sitting outside doing nothing more than playing fetch, making coffee or popcorn has helped me feel better mentally.

au Offline Echotech

Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 01:37:17 AM
Pleased to hear there’s improvement and light at the end of the tunnel Sos
:cheers:

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 01:45:44 AM
Pleased to hear there’s improvement and light at the end of the tunnel Sos
:cheers:

+1 !    :tu:

us Offline Adam5

Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 01:58:19 AM
That is excellent news, Sherry  :tu:
I hope that the physical recovery keeps trending this way, and that your mental state keeps improving too  :cheers:

us Offline Sos24

Reply #24 on: February 22, 2023, 05:52:02 AM
Thanks guys.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #25 on: February 22, 2023, 05:58:11 AM
Glad to hear things are improving. Hope you continue to improve at a rapid pace!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #26 on: February 22, 2023, 11:18:44 AM
Glad to hear things are improving. Hope you continue to improve at a rapid pace!

I couldn't agree with this more!

There is also a good thing about being on crutches that no one talks about- it's a great shoulder workout!  I was paddling my kayak like a boss the summer after I got injured!

It may be a good excuse to take up canoeing or kayaking this year!  It's a great way to be out in the woods and be active while sitting down!   :D

Hang in there and keep the good news coming- we are all in your corner.

Def

us Offline Sos24

Reply #27 on: February 22, 2023, 10:52:10 PM
I couldn't agree with this more!

There is also a good thing about being on crutches that no one talks about- it's a great shoulder workout!  I was paddling my kayak like a boss the summer after I got injured!

It may be a good excuse to take up canoeing or kayaking this year!  It's a great way to be out in the woods and be active while sitting down!   :D

Hang in there and keep the good news coming- we are all in your corner.

Def
Crutches do give the work out.  I may have to take up canoeing, especially considering I don’t see the cycling and multi-mile walks happening.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #28 on: February 22, 2023, 11:11:02 PM
Everything the fellas said and more. 

Happy you're sitting out and making your coffee.  Firebox right?  Maybe you can try some different methods.  Cowgirl Coffee, Pour over, Greek/Turkish pot, percolator? 

Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
Reply #29 on: February 23, 2023, 01:33:36 AM
Glad to see any improvement.  Don't get overconfident about the improvements and extend your activities too much, too soon, and cause a setback though.  I made that mistake and caused a reinjury that extended my healing time by a couple of months.
 :facepalm: 

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD