Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

my idea for a possible half rebar

us Offline darrylf

my idea for a possible half rebar
on: February 11, 2023, 09:49:19 AM
So here is my idea for a possible half rebar. Before anyone gets up in arms about how this or that aspect of it is a bad idea, let me explain why it might meet my personal needs.

I would carry it alongside my daily standard, the wave.

I’ve been carrying the wave since about 2009. Recently I rediscovered my previous standard (and spare tool) in a drawer—the original super tool. I was immediately reminded of two things I love and miss about that tool—the longer dedicated 3D Phillips, and the awl.

I made a plan to incorporate these two tools into my wave, and thanks to generously provided info on this site I know how to do it, but frankly my progress in this project and “hobby” has been slow and irregular.

In the process I have acquired various Leatherman tools, many of which are in some state of disassembly.

So if you look at my proposed half rebar, you can see that it incorporates the Phillips and awl I have been desiring, along with two bonuses: the slim flat driver from the rebar which I quite like, and the rebar plain blade, which could be very handy when I want a slimmer lighter blade than the one on the wave.

All this without doing any modifications at all on the wave. Also, this half rebar mod is more simply doable with parts on hand.

I think the half rebar has some significant ergonomic advantages due to the slim handle. The drivers and awl will be more elegant to operate than with a standard double-handle tool, and even the blade too.

Thoughts?

us Offline darrylf

Re: my idea for a possible half rebar
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2023, 09:50:06 AM

us Offline darrylf

Reply #2 on: February 11, 2023, 09:59:48 AM
I also have the short rebar bit extender and a bit kit to carry with this.

Another thought is to substitute the rebar blade for a kick blade, which I have. It is shorter, and I think the kick blade nail nick could be positioned conveniently.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2023, 07:11:02 PM
Don't believe anyone will get up in arms about your proposed mod, around here, if it fits your needs, it's all good.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2023, 07:15:13 PM
 :iagree:

MOD away.  What you'll likely to get it  :pok: :woohoo: :tu:.  Even more so when you post pictures inspiring others. 

That said, MOD away and hopefully others ( modders ) will come along with ideas. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2023, 08:01:04 PM
Don't believe anyone will get up in arms about your proposed mod, around here, if it fits your needs, it's all good.

:iagree: I love the half tools and even more so when a person mods them to what they need :salute: :like: :like:

Can't wait to see what you end up with :popcorn: :like:

I have carried a half Charge of some sort since late 2018 and others here have made and carried them for years before me :tu:

us Offline darrylf

Reply #6 on: February 11, 2023, 10:15:37 PM
Thanks guys for your kind comments and encouragement. Now let’s see if I actually get it done! I’m not promising a due date. I am highly distractible.

us Offline darrylf

Reply #7 on: March 03, 2023, 09:41:32 AM

OK I put a couple versions of my half rebar together and have been carrying one around for a week or so. I hope the photos show up in the right order, I don’t know how to integrate them into the text. The preferred (first) version is the upper one in the first two photos (with pink tape).

(Please pretend the serrated blade is a plain edge. It’s just the blade I had on hand so it represents a plain edge.)

With the first version I found the Phillips was just slightly awkward to get at. You can see why by looking at the photo which looks straight down at the tool set. I decided to try a second version in which I substituted the narrow flat driver from a Kick. That one has the nick in a further back position and I wondered if it would be easier to access the tools. The answer is no. With version two, the Phillips is much easier to pull out but the narrow flat driver is much more difficult.

As a sidenote, these flat drivers from the rebar and the kick are surprisingly different, though at first you might consider them equivalent. I have a couple of photos comparing them. The Kick driver has a narrower shaft and a very much finer head. (Oddly, it is also made of thicker metal, which doesn’t seem to make sense.) I find them both to be excellent tools but if I’m only carrying one of them I would pick the rebar version because I often use Leatherman flat drivers for light prying tasks and it would be better for that.

Another possibility is to replace the rebar plain edge blade with one from the kick. I have a photo comparing them. You can see the kick blade is considerably lighter. It is also thinner. This could make sense to use because remember I would be carrying this alongside the wave, so the only reason to have a blade at all on this half tool is if it differs significantly from the stout blade on the wave. I find it useful to have a small blade for more delicate tasks. If I were to use the kick blade I would have to grind away an area at the base to match the shape of the rebar blade. That’s necessary to allow it to fold into the handle properly.

Getting back to screwdriver ergonomics, the photo which I hope shows up last has a couple black sharpie marks on the tools on either side of the Phillips driver. That shows a place where I could grind a notch behind the existing nail notch on those tools, which would allow my thumb nail to slip in there and grab the Phillips extremely easily. If I really really wanted to get picky about it. I hope that makes sense.

You can see I have nothing where the pliers were. I don’t have a plan to put anything there. I could think about it. But those edges around the plier pivot do not feel very pleasing in the pocket or in the hand while using. I could fill that space in with a carefully crafted bit of wood or some sort of plastic. Again, if I want to get really picky about it. Not sure I do.

Thanks for looking at my project!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: March 03, 2023, 02:37:44 PM
Looking great :tu: :like:

Looks like you put some practical use along side your reasoning for doing things a certain way and explained it out well :salute:

I live the half tools (as I said before :cheers: ) and I am glad to see you making something that works for you :woohoo: :like:

It is a nice toolset as well :like:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #9 on: March 03, 2023, 03:28:21 PM
I like version 2 with serrated blade.  If its your only knife then I can understand choosing a PE blade.  The profile of the kick flat driver is quite different.  Being able to access the philips is important especially when its easy.  You wont carry a tool that is a pain in any way. 

You seem to be on the right track.  Nicely thought out and nice early setups.   
Esse Quam Videri

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #10 on: March 03, 2023, 04:50:16 PM

:iagree:

MOD away.  What you'll likely to get it  :pok: :woohoo: :tu:.  Even more so when you post pictures inspiring others. 

That said, MOD away and hopefully others ( modders ) will come along with ideas. 

+1

Looking good, thanks for sharing!

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #11 on: March 03, 2023, 04:56:04 PM
May I offer a suggestion? You could insert a piece of wood or other material, opposite the drivers, to fill the handle and avoid hot spots.

Or even find some other tools to fit there, like a bit holder or something equally useful.

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline darrylf

Reply #12 on: March 03, 2023, 10:04:23 PM
May I offer a suggestion? You could insert a piece of wood or other material, opposite the drivers, to fill the handle and avoid hot spots.

Or even find some other tools to fit there, like a bit holder or something equally useful.

Yes, those are my thoughts as well. I hoped that the short bit extension made for Rebar could be stored in there, but it doesn't fit. A piece of wood or something would be smooth & keep it light.

Offline MohiLond

Reply #13 on: May 15, 2023, 05:03:46 PM
Thank you for sharing.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20