Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Source for SAK Scales?

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Source for SAK Scales?
on: March 27, 2023, 07:40:01 PM
Howdy all, its been a bit since I've been on here.

I picked up this Marlboro Troubleshooter the other day for $10.  The tools just needed a cleaning and the blades touched up.  The scales, though, looked liked something had melted the back side (the one with the vic logo).  So I polished them up, which removed the Marlboro logo.  The top scale is a bit loose, and so all told, I'd like to replace them.

I don't normally love cellidor as a material, particularly the modern hollow scales, but the fancy material aftermarket scales cost multiples of what I paid for the knife. Its not really worth it to me to spend that kind of money on it (I'm not a huge 91mm fan anyway).  S,o I figured I'd just get some bog standard red cellidor and call it a job, but the cheapest I've found are $17 + shipping, which still seems a bit crazy.  I remember back in the day Felinevet was the go-to for these (and they were like $5, IIRC).  Is there a current forum favorite source for scales?

Any pointers appreciated!

* IMG_1503.jpg (Filesize: 170.87 KB)

* IMG_1502.jpg (Filesize: 170.96 KB)

* IMG_1501.jpg (Filesize: 189.4 KB)

* IMG_1500.jpg (Filesize: 144.96 KB)
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline getahl

Re: Source for SAK Scales?
Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 10:28:52 PM
I remember seeing options on Ebay, although I've never purchased any from there. Stock and custom ones.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.
Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 11:00:47 PM
In the US, you'll have a hard time finding them at those prices, but most European dealers have them for like 3-4 USD. Shipping would know it though for one set.

https://pizzini.at/Victorinox-Swiss-Army-Knives/victorinox-spare-parts/

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #3 on: March 27, 2023, 11:53:32 PM
What a wonderful store, but really, that shipping cost! ::)
Jealous of Austrians now. :P
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #4 on: March 28, 2023, 12:22:37 AM
I usually just buy a doner SAK to swap scales.  I have picked up a set of 10 58mms for as low as $10.00.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #5 on: March 28, 2023, 02:21:27 AM
You gotta love the 58s! 
Barry

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2023, 03:32:44 AM
Thanks guys. That’s kind of what I thought. Looks like there aren’t any inexpensive US sources for new scales.

I may go ahead and bite the bullet for a set anyway. I think I’ll keep this to give to one of my kids when they’re older, so it would be nice to have it look nice.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: March 28, 2023, 05:02:41 AM
A quick check of my usual sources reveals:

- New 91 mm scales for ~$11 a pair on Etsy, but you would probably want to get four pair for $44 to get free shipping

- Like new (“removed from new knives”) scales on the ‘bay for about $10 shipped for three sets of scales.  Of course, there is a good chance these would have to be glued on…

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: March 28, 2023, 12:54:46 PM
I've ordered plus scales from this seller on ebay. It's 20 bucks but you get all the add-ons which is nice. I've only ordered once from this seller but so far so good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134201566856?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EoIRsD5nT6m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=18kOZ5iRSU2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Offline BarbaBaba

Reply #9 on: March 29, 2023, 10:40:15 AM
Howdy all, its been a bit since I've been on here.

I picked up this Marlboro Troubleshooter the other day for $10.  The tools just needed a cleaning and the blades touched up.  The scales, though, looked liked something had melted the back side (the one with the vic logo).  So I polished them up, which removed the Marlboro logo.  The top scale is a bit loose, and so all told, I'd like to replace them.

I don't normally love cellidor as a material, particularly the modern hollow scales, but the fancy material aftermarket scales cost multiples of what I paid for the knife. Its not really worth it to me to spend that kind of money on it (I'm not a huge 91mm fan anyway).  S,o I figured I'd just get some bog standard red cellidor and call it a job, but the cheapest I've found are $17 + shipping, which still seems a bit crazy.  I remember back in the day Felinevet was the go-to for these (and they were like $5, IIRC).  Is there a current forum favorite source for scales?

Any pointers appreciated!
I am a bit late with suggestion since you already polished the logo away... But I have found that CA-glue can save a lot of worn scales. Maybe next time ;)

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #10 on: March 29, 2023, 04:03:08 PM
I've ordered plus scales from this seller on ebay. It's 20 bucks but you get all the add-ons which is nice. I've only ordered once from this seller but so far so good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134201566856?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=EoIRsD5nT6m&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=18kOZ5iRSU2&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Thanks, I decided to go ahead and get some plus scales and all the bits.  I'll post pic once they arrive and I get them installed.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #11 on: March 29, 2023, 04:04:06 PM
I am a bit late with suggestion since you already polished the logo away... But I have found that CA-glue can save a lot of worn scales. Maybe next time ;)

Thanks, I'm still curious how that works?  I assume you fill the voids with CA and then sand and polish?

Either way, the back scale is a bit loose and doesn't hold the toothpick in securely, so I'd want to change them anyway.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: March 29, 2023, 04:05:38 PM
A quick check of my usual sources reveals:

- New 91 mm scales for ~$11 a pair on Etsy, but you would probably want to get four pair for $44 to get free shipping

- Like new (“removed from new knives”) scales on the ‘bay for about $10 shipped for three sets of scales.  Of course, there is a good chance these would have to be glued on…

Thanks, that's basically what I was finding. I guess I have to get OK with them being much more expensive now than in the past.  It will certainly make me think twice before picking up another random "bargain" 91mm.  Heck, for most two-layer varieties, the cost of scale replacement is almost as much as just getting a new knife.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #13 on: March 29, 2023, 04:13:24 PM
It might have only cost you $10 -
But it's a really nice model and would be worth way more than that - So maybe worth a little investment - as you say!

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #14 on: March 29, 2023, 08:23:39 PM
The Heidi Shop (a Swiss shop) sells them:  https://www.swiss-knife.com/en/swiss-knives/handles-sides.html  They are kinda pricey though.  They do have some deals where you get some freebee scales when you buy a new knife and I have managed to get a set or two like that.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #15 on: April 01, 2023, 11:25:02 PM
Got the plus scales in today. Looks nicer for sure. I’m ambivalent about the red toothpick and tweezers, though it would look nicer if the pen was also red. Either way, still nice.

* IMG_1544.jpg (Filesize: 141.39 KB)

* IMG_1545.jpg (Filesize: 151.89 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #16 on: April 02, 2023, 01:20:36 AM
NICE.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: April 06, 2023, 12:26:39 PM
This site has a good selection
https://www.mein-taschenmesser.de/
Search on griffschalen

Not sure if they ship stateside, or for how much - But I've used them before and great service and prices 

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #18 on: April 06, 2023, 01:52:58 PM
Thanks!  :cheers:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #19 on: April 07, 2023, 02:08:50 AM
This site has a good selection...Not sure if they ship stateside...
Seems they do not. :think: Their shipping FAQs are implicit that they only ship within the EU:

https://www.mein-taschenmesser.de/faq/versand/

That said, MTo is a very helpful and supportive community, especially if enabling is involved. :D :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #20 on: April 07, 2023, 02:11:26 AM
Seems they  do not. :think: Their shipping FAQs are implicit that they only ship within the EU:

https://www.mein-taschenmesser.de/faq/versand/

That said, MTo is a very helpful and supportive community, especially if enabling is involved. :D :cheers:

Too right! If it wasn’t for this thread I wouldn’t have spent more than the knife on new scales :D

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%