Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Powerpint Mods

Offline refleks

SOG Powerpint Mods
on: February 19, 2023, 11:24:22 AM
I'm pretty fond of the powerpint in concept, but it's a bit let down in execution.  I noticed the Powerlitre has a locking clasp to keep the tool closed while being used as a driver,  does anyone have both? I was interested in seeing if the Powerlitres clasp can be transplanted onto the Powerpint like you can transplant other inserts like knives and files.  Even if you lose a tool in the process I think it would be worthwhile.

Second, I plan on cutting down a leatherman file to replace the powerpint file, but not sure what to do about the scissors. Has anyone successfully upgraded them with a better set?

Regards

Offline Sorrel

• New User
Re: SOG Powerpint Mods
Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 09:41:59 AM
I feel exactly the same. The PowerPint cries out for heavy mods.

There's a YouTube vid of a guy who replaced his PowerPint scissors with knockoff Vic scissors, plus some other neat mods to boot:

I've discovered that 74mm Vic scissors look to be a pretty close fit for the PowerPint size-wise, though a little would to be shaved off the tips. Haven't actually gone through with it yet, but will post results when I do.

I've been wondering about the PowerLitre clasp as well, but you'd have to lose two tools as far as I can see, one for each side of the clasp. I'm toying with fashioning a hook-style closure underneath the screwheads of the backside of the tool, which would mean no lost tools.

fi Offline customod

Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 09:20:19 PM
Personally I haven't yet felt the need to get the lock to keep bits tight, as a small squeeze seems to go a long way, but there is a version of the powerpint with a corkscrew that has a lock lever as well. I bet it could be transplanted... I haven't tested it, but if you carried a zip-tie or some kind of tensioner that was adjusted to the right size, you could just slip it on from the bit end and push up while slightly flexing the arms. I imagine it would hold and do the same thing.

Anyways, here are the mods I've done so far and I'm still planning to add a chisel to the end of the file at some point (possibly with a Vic. Spirit style cutting corner as well).
1. thinned and smoothed out the can opener which now works really well not only for opening cans, but also for separating/prying
2. I thinned the cross driver for more reach
3. I made the bottle opener into a flathead
4. I modified the scissors so they open a lot more by cutting that back elbow part, sharpened them, bent them slightly for better cutting, and thinned the ends for more precision. They are still somewhat stiff but way better and now cut through paracord without issue
5. I angled the awl for better puncturing

* 20230403_powepint mods so far.jpg (Filesize: 223.22 KB)

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 12:27:48 PM
Very nice! You gave me some inspiration for mine thanks!
Didi you do everything with a powertool?

fi Offline customod

Reply #4 on: April 06, 2023, 12:27:15 AM
Yeah, I bought some of the dremel metal cutting quick release discs years ago and they've been excellent for this kind of thing! After that I've used regular metal files, jewelry files and diamond files here and there just to finish things off and smooth out the cuts.

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #5 on: April 06, 2023, 12:38:03 AM
I do really like my PowerPint, but some mods may definitely improve on a good thing.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

fi Offline customod

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 03:03:10 PM
I tested my theory and a little ziptie or write works well to keep the handles together and the bit tightly in place. They key is to have enough tension but not so much that it is a pain to get in place.

* Screenshot_20230407-160059_Photos.jpg (Filesize: 237.72 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%