Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Welding question

Offline refleks

Welding question
on: February 28, 2023, 01:55:18 AM
I am very fond of the small ratchet that comes with the Topeak set, but it's not perfect.  It would be nice if the main shaft had knurling for use when manually turning it, and the bit holder on the end doesn't accept leatherman bits adequately. You can kinda stick one in there, but it holds on by just a few mm.

So, I was curious - for those who weld, is it technically possible to cut the ratchet end off and weld it onto the end of a leatherman bit extender (with the flat leatherman extension removed so it's the end of one round shaft welded to the end of the other round shaft) to produce a ratchet the same length as the original, but which is sufficiently strong for the tasks that may be asked of it?  Or is that way too thin to weld?  I have no idea what the metals are, if they're dissimilar or not, but both are magnetic. 

If so, it would be the perfect little ratchet IMO, since it would be able to accept regular bits, the flat leatherman bits and the double sided wiha bits.

th-821234289.jpg
* th-821234289.jpg (Filesize: 9.56 KB)

* Extender_1-min-837338696.jpg (Filesize: 27.74 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Re: Welding question
Reply #1 on: February 28, 2023, 02:29:13 AM
Is it chrome or straight stainless steel, cause if it’s not chromed, you could also find a machinist in the area, they should be able to put it in a machine lathe and actually put a knurl on it, or if your good with a dremel and you have a good wheel you could do a light cross cut then like buff it out to take the rough cut off, but as far as welding you should be able to, it just needs to be filed down to the metal if it’s chromed,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: Welding question
Reply #2 on: February 28, 2023, 05:19:23 PM
It certainly isn't too thin too weld. Whether that weld will be equally strong as before the weld is an open question - dissimilar and unknown materials, a filler material that might or might not match both unknown materials, and heat effects.

If I had to do that I might try friction welding with a lathe and possibly some heat treatment afterwards.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD
120%