Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

First victorinox mod - noob question on knife layer backspring

Offline Flintfish

Hi

First post after lurking a bit. I'm trying to do my first Victorinox mod -  a yeoman. I already had two knives required so it seemed like a good start. I drilled out the rivets and put the knife back OK, but I have some questions on the knife/combo tool layer before I commit to riveting it all together again. I also built myself a climber from leftover parts to act as a practice piece and they both behave more or less the same.

My question is along the line of "Is this normal or did I mess something up along the way?"

• The outer liner has a bit of flex and a banana shape to it (see pic). Is this normal?
  • When I try the action after assembly but before riveting the small knife and combo tool "slip" from the spring easily and I have to redo the layer. A bit of pressure near the join seems to fix this issue (illustrated with the gluing clamp)

Could really use some input from more experienced modders...

Thanks in advance!

* 20230209_061650.jpg (Filesize: 68.89 KB)

* 20230209_061702.jpg (Filesize: 86.18 KB)

00 Offline SAKTaschenmesser

First victorinox mod - noob question on knife layer backspring
Reply #1 on: February 09, 2023, 08:09:19 AM
In my limited experience, I found the same.

I lightly tap around the pivots with a small pin hammer to set the layers. When opening the multi-tool or small blade prior to peening, I squeeze around that pivot with my fingers. If it pops out, it’s relatively easy to reseat without taking apart. The scale liner will sit as it should once the collars are on the pivots and peening gets under way.

With my first couple of attempts, before peening, I left the assembled knife for 24 hours or over night, part of the time with all tools open and part of the time with all tools closed. In my mind to let any strains and tensions settle. However, that’s probably codswallop and I didn’t bother subsequently.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 08:50:50 AM by SAKTaschenmesser »

Offline Helvetica Bold

Re: First victorinox mod - noob question on knife layer backspring
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2023, 12:02:08 AM
That should sort itself out when it’s peened up. The pins at each end and through the back layer tools need to be just tight enough to stop any side play and still allow a positive snap. The other 2.2mm pin doesn’t need to be that tight - it seems to be more for additional scale attachment point and a bit more support for the liners. I think the slight bow I the liners is intentional and helps the celador scales sit tight against them…although that might also be ‘codswallop’  :rofl: :rofl: …What a great word that doesn’t get enough airtime these days…thanks for that outing Tasch  :cheers:

Offline Flintfish

Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 01:05:07 PM
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

Peened the knives over the weekend and everything seems to be just fine. Glad I did a trial run on the Climber first though. Wasn't that many blows between too loose and blade play to too tight and poor snab-back. The Yeoman turned out pretty good though and that was all that really mattered.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #4 on: February 16, 2023, 03:09:25 PM
Hi and welcome,
Glad it worked out, you got to figure before it’s peened it’s nothing but a bunch of loose parts even with the pins in place it’s still loose, kinda when they give you instructions to put something together and it say don’t tighten anything until the very end and you keep moving it around and think it’s going to fall apart, but at the very end after nut and bolt is in and they say to finally tighten all the bolts and whatever it is goes from the wobble monster to a freaking tank, that’s pretty much how it works, you just have to keep it as tight as possible so nothing slips out of place before you can get those pins peened! Glad it turned out good, don’t forget pics this group loves pics and will get mad without pics! Lol.. no seriously they get mad! :worthless: see.. lol
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Offline Flintfish

Reply #5 on: February 27, 2023, 02:09:03 PM
Uploading some pics seems the least I can do. Not sure it would have turned out so well without this site :-) Added them to the "Show off your mods" thread. Seemed a better place than here. Enjoy! and thanks for your help.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,5287.msg2402378.html#msg2402378

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD