Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

February (and bookends) Camper challenge!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Re: February (and bookends) Camper challenge!
Reply #180 on: March 01, 2023, 05:09:52 PM
The MacGyver tool is one of the best and definitely the most used for me. I am jealous of all the snow I hear about on here, we had an unseasonable tornado the other night (no damage for us) and now its looking like anything between 30F - 80F for the next few weeks.
:iagree: that MacGyver tool is one of my favorites as well  :cheers:
Tornadoes can be scary that's for sure! glad you've remained safe. Been waiting waiting for it to really snow this winter- we've had a few dustings and some flurries here and there but this was the first real accumulation and it was wonderful.  :ahhh
Chin up there's always a chance at some snow in March!  :salute:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #181 on: March 02, 2023, 01:13:46 AM
Fell asleep early from all the snow shoveling...
Hope you didn't get too much of the white stuff!

Day 30

The black Camper and a friend flexed their muscles. We awlso take a look at my 1990s Camper, which is so nice it won't see a pocket as long as I own it.

And with that, I'll be requesting my badge. The Camper is the usual great tool from Victorinox, and I've been happy to give them a little more pocket time. And, of course, the photos and banter from my fellow challengers are what made this such a great time. Thanks for your participation, gents, and don't forget to request your badge after you post your Day 30 photos! :salute:

Camper Challenge Day 30 (1).jpg
* Camper Challenge Day 30 (1).jpg (Filesize: 101.25 KB)

Camper Challenge Day 30 (2).jpg
* Camper Challenge Day 30 (2).jpg (Filesize: 94.96 KB)
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #182 on: March 02, 2023, 01:49:36 AM
Happy Day 30 everyone!
Cheers my friend!  :cheers:

Day 30:

Today the camper did package opening duty on some new under cabinet lights. 

Later I put the saw to good use out in the bamboo grove. I harvest some sections to try to make a bamboo whisk. 

Action shot haha :facepalm:

With that Id like to request my badge. It was a good time guys!

us Offline Explorer

• No Life Club
Reply #183 on: March 02, 2023, 02:10:37 AM
DAY30
Used the small blade on the WC to cut open a Hersey's bar  :ahhh yum. Here is a shot of both campers used in this challenge. It was great to carry them both as neither have seen much pocket time.

The tool set of the camper is one of my favorites because I'm a big fan of that saw, the small blade is awesome, the MacGyver tool is indispensively useful and the corkscrew can really come in handy.

Thought I'd favor the '80s camper more in this challenge due to the cool camping inlay however was surprised to find myself favoring the white camper for its clean no nonsense.. dare I say.. stormtrooper look 8)  It also served me well in the two formal dress events during this challenge- as it paired well with a suit and tie.

It was wonderful participating in this challenge with you awl. Really enjoyed seeing everyone's creative uses and pictures. Cheers campers!  :cheers:

Badge requested  :salute:

Happy trails!   :D

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #184 on: March 02, 2023, 02:20:47 AM
Day 30

I opened a package with the can opener.

It’s a Leatherman. I’ve never owned one before and thought I would see what all the fuss is about. (It’s heavy!)

I plan to post some final thoughts on the Camper Challenge later tonight.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #185 on: March 02, 2023, 06:22:11 AM
It’s a Leatherman. I’ve never owned one before and thought I would see what all the fuss is about. (It’s heavy!)
Which one did you choose?
USN 2000-2006

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #186 on: March 02, 2023, 07:11:52 AM
The Curl!

I’m going to make a post about my first impressions in the General channel.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #187 on: March 02, 2023, 09:20:35 AM
Camper Challenge, Final Thoughts.

I went into this challenge knowing pretty much what I was getting into with the Camper. It's a model I'm very familiar with and like quite a bit.

It was no surprise that the Camper served me well during this challenge, despite an unusually large number of "no use" days for me this time around. Additionally, the Camper's limitations were no surprise either. The wood saw is a great tool, but it's awfully hard to trim an errant nose hair with it!

Which brings me to my hesitation about the Camper, the thing that keeps it out of my pocket more often than not despite how much I like it in theory. As great as the wood saw is, I just don't get use out of it very frequently in my suburban/urban life. Sure, I am a homeowner with a yard to take care of... but I also have a shed with a real saw in it too. I enjoy hiking and camping as often as a life that involves a full time job and two young children will allow - and I take a SAK with a wood saw when I do those things, usually a Huntsman. But I don't get to hike or camp nearly as much as I would like.

In other words, as a third layer in a true EDC sense, the wood saw is hard to justify for me. Scissors are a third layer I get far more use out of (though still unnecessary since I like to pair a 84/91mm SAK with a Rambler). Unfortunately, Victorinox doesn't really offer any of their other tools as a third layer - you have to go up to to at least four layers to get the mag glass/Phillips, pliers, fish scaler, or metal file/saw.

The wood saw is frequently cited as the thinnest tool for a third layer in a SAK. And that's true... but not by much. According to the SAKWiki, the Climber has a width of 17mm. The Camper's width is 16.2mm. So we're only looking at a difference of 0.8mm between the two most common three layer SAKs and the only two tool options for the third layer in current production. The wood saw really isn't saving an appreciable amount of space in the pocket compared to a Climber. The Climber does weigh in at 9 grams heavier though.

I don't mean any of this as criticism of the Camper as a model. In fact, I think it's a great model! It's just not one that matches my day to day life all that well. The scissors are are a third layer that makes more sense for me... except that I always carry a 58mm SAK with me that also has scissors. I haven't had too many occasions where the 91mm scissors offered much advantage over the 58mm version. But there have been times where the 58mm scissors were just the ticket and the 91mm version would have actually been too big.

So, what ends up happening is that I often end up carrying a two layer SAK instead. The Spartan, Tourist, Tinker, Sportsman, Evo 10, and the Recruit are all two layer favorites of mine. Sometimes I will EDC a Climber for a few days but, with the Rambler along for the ride, I end up not really using the Climber scissors much and eventually fall back to a two layer SAK. I keep coming back to the Climber because it feels like it should be a good "default" SAK, a standard to compare other SAKs against. But it just doesn't work out that way for me.

Oddly enough, and despite my own strong pull to EDC minimalism, I am more likely to carry a four layer SAK than I am a three layer knife. The Deluxe Tinker, Explorer, and Huntsman are my current favorite four layer models. The Explorer and Huntsman are surprisingly light weight for their thickness and tool set.

The Huntsman is a particularly weird one for me. Despite some ambivalence toward EDC-ing the wood saw and the 91mm scissors, given the choice I would rather EDC the Huntsman, and take both the wood saw AND the scissors, than either the Climber or Camper. I'm happy to carry around a Huntsman, which has both tools I don't really need, but when it comes to carrying only one of them I would rather not for some reason. I'm not sure I have a great explanation for that, other than people are complicated I guess?  :think:

That's a heck of a lot of words to say that I continue to be a bit dissatisfied with the current three layer offerings from Victorinox and that I tend to EDC either a two layer SAK or skip the three layer models and go straight to 4 layers. I wish there were more variety at the three layer level. I would buy a Spartan + fish scaler SAK (what would they name THAT?) in a heart beat, for example. Or a SAK where the third layer is the popular metal file/saw!

Anyway, thanks to Farmer X for getting this challenge off the ground! I look forward to the next one!

Also, if there's a badge for this one, may I please have it? Pretty please with sugar on top?

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 09:33:52 AM by marlowe221 »

us Offline Enginears

Reply #188 on: March 02, 2023, 04:02:42 PM
I enjoyed reading your thoughts marlowe. I was a bit surprised by how little I used the saw throughout the month and it kind of had me rethinking my preferences. The reality of it is that during hiking I don’t need a saw, despite it seeming like it would be handy. The times I do need a saw are in camp, during home projects etc., times when my folding saw is readily available and tons more capable.

I also think a 2 layer and small sak make tons of sense. I have been looking forward to carrying my Pioneer/Ambassador combo. It seems to cover everything so well. I also like to carry my pruner 3 and have been considering a companion for it that is just openers/scissors. But the simple spartan or pioneer with no extra tools is really just a beautiful thing.

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #189 on: March 02, 2023, 04:47:50 PM
Hello to all! Could please someone tell me the rules for challenges? I would join one, but don't know how.  :think:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #190 on: March 02, 2023, 04:51:50 PM
I enjoyed reading your thoughts marlowe. I was a bit surprised by how little I used the saw throughout the month and it kind of had me rethinking my preferences. The reality of it is that during hiking I don’t need a saw, despite it seeming like it would be handy. The times I do need a saw are in camp, during home projects etc., times when my folding saw is readily available and tons more capable.

I also think a 2 layer and small sak make tons of sense. I have been looking forward to carrying my Pioneer/Ambassador combo. It seems to cover everything so well. I also like to carry my pruner 3 and have been considering a companion for it that is just openers/scissors. But the simple spartan or pioneer with no extra tools is really just a beautiful thing.

Thanks!

I only used the wood saw twice during this challenge. Once was to get a gummy vitamin off the bottom of a jar... and once to cut up a branch that fell out of a tree in my backyard. I only used the Camper saw in the spirit of the challenge. Ordinarily, I would have used the Fiskars limb saw I keep in the shed in my backyard. I take a SAK with a saw hiking for emergencies - I go hiking with a large group and I like to take something with me that would help cut sticks to make splint for an ankle if someone were to fall and hurt themselves. The wood saw is perfect for that.

Otherwise, the saw doesn't get much use for me.

Regarding the Pioneer - I would love to buy one. The only reason why I haven't (and I know this is silly) is that I really want a RED one. And you don't see many red Pioneers out there. Knife Center does a red Pioneer X and a red Farmer X but they don't do those colors in the Pioneer or Farmer.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #191 on: March 02, 2023, 09:54:17 PM
Could please someone tell me the rules for challenges? I would join one, but don't know how.
Generally speaking, you just add your name to the list and post a photo of the chosen tool (ideally in use) for 30 days. Some challenges have slightly varied or more specific rules.

Regarding the Pioneer - I would love to buy one. The only reason why I haven't (and I know this is silly) is that I really want a RED one.
I was going to suggest a Pioneer for you. I think you'd like it! Unfortunately, the only retailer that I'm aware of who offers a red one is Knives and Tools, and they're based in Europe. If I find a source for a red on stateside, I'll let you know promptly.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #192 on: March 02, 2023, 10:07:46 PM
Yeah, I've visited Knives and Tools' website before. I've given serious thought to biting the bullet on shipping to the USA. Haven't actually done that though.

si Offline Mitch-O

• Mitch-O
Reply #193 on: March 04, 2023, 09:01:54 PM
Generally speaking, you just add your name to the list and post a photo of the chosen tool (ideally in use) for 30 days. Some challenges have slightly varied or more specific rules.

Thank you :tu: :waving:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #194 on: March 05, 2023, 06:30:58 AM
You are very welcome! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%