Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Knifeless Rebar - shim/spacer/washer locations forgotten during modding

Offline Chunky_lafunga

So I decide to go ahead and mod my Knifeless Rebar with a bit exchanger (and more mods as I continue to scour this forum).

Went ahead and bought 2 vice grips to undo the proprietary screws. When that didn't work, I forked out for that custom disassembly tool found on eBay.

Anyhow finally I got the thing apart, and in all my excitement, I dropped all the tools and now have no idea where the very thin washers went! Even better, I dropped the tools on the other side also when disassembling that side too!  :ahhh

So. here's hoping someone can help me out with the exact placement of where the washers/shims in the knifeless rebar are supposed to go, on both sides of the tool. I need the locations for literally all the thin washers - the slotted ones and non-slotted ones, on both sides of the tool.

I'm not holding my hopes high as the Knifeless Rebar is not as popular here as some of the other models but hey it's been driving me crazy having spent nearly as much on the disassembly tools (vice grips, eBay tool) as the Knifeless Rebar itself and can't use it! :)

us Offline JonesE

Hi Chunky,

I don’t know if this will help or not. However, I just did a swap of tools on the ST300, the Rebar’s big brother. There is a thicker washer between the big tools (file, saw, blades) and the small tools and the thinner washers go between the smaller tools.

Hope this helps,

JonesE

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Welcome to :MTO:  :cheers: I don't know how knifeless Rebars are but the thin washers go between the smaller tools and I think the lanyard ring goes beside the file. Hopefully someone who has one can get you a pic of how it should look and the exact washers placement :salute:

Also, what Jones advises can definitely be put to use to the Rebar even if it is from the ST300  :cheers:

pr Offline Juan el Boricua

• No Life Club
Welcome to  :MTO:, Chunky.
I have a Knifeless, and was able to take notes when I replaced the thick spacer/washer for a package opener.
Here we go; handle "1"(1"-4" on the rule), from blank side to "Leatherman Rebar"- saw, thin anticlump washer, thin anticlump washer, small flat driver, thick washer, medium flat driver, scissors, awl.
Handle "2" (5"-8" on the rule), from blank side to "Leatherman Rebar"- file, thin anticlump washer, thin anticlump washer, combo opener, Phillips driver, lanyard loop, really thick washer/spacer.
Hope this helps. Edit- Yes, the anticlump washers go side by side.
20230306_233509_copy_616x924.jpg
* 20230306_233509_copy_616x924.jpg (Filesize: 492.23 KB)

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Thanks for that,  Juan :salute: :like: :like:

Great reference material there :woohoo: :like:

• No Life Club
Thanks, just trying to help out, as many of you do with me; glad it can help.  :hatsoff: :cheers:

Offline Chunky_lafunga

I have a Knifeless, and was able to take notes when I replaced the thick spacer/washer for a package opener.
Here we go; handle "1"(1"-4" on the rule), from blank side to "Leatherman Rebar"- saw, thin anticlump washer, thin anticlump washer, small flat driver, thick washer, medium flat driver, scissors, awl.
Handle "2" (5"-8" on the rule), from blank side to "Leatherman Rebar"- file, thin anticlump washer, thin anticlump washer, combo opener, Phillips driver, lanyard loop, really thick washer/spacer.
 [ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

Wow - really helpful, exactly what I was looking for!

Thank you!

• No Life Club

Offline Chunky_lafunga

Wait a minute!!

Do I see a package opener from the Wingman on your knifeless rebar?

This was the EXACT thing I was trying to do! But instead I was trying to replace the saw with the Wingman package opener on the other handle . And unfortunately it meant I couldn't fully close the pliers anymore. How did you do it?! Exactly where did you place the Wingman package opener?

• No Life Club
Yes, it is a Rev/Wingman/Sidekick opener; it is where the thick spacer was next to the chassis/handle. You have to reprofile it a bit with a rotary tool or file, as the "spine" of the opener went over the handle (file as needed; reprofile nail nub) and you need to make the divot to fit the lock's rocker on that side ( I modeled it using the lanyard loop's as a template to trace).

Good luck; and remember,  :worthless: !!!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Another great explanation,  Juan  :woohoo: :like:

Offline Chunky_lafunga

I present to you my "Harmless" Rebar :)

Removed the philips and saw, and replaced with small and large bit drivers and add in some additional washers I bought on Etsy.

Now it's truly a knifeless, harmless Rebar.

Actually it's got me thinking. I probably don't have a need for the file now either. What should I replace it with?

* 20230322_214054.jpg (Filesize: 245.33 KB)

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Excellent looking mod 8) :like: :like: Great work :woohoo:

If you are sure about removing the file :think: you could possibly shuffle things arround and lose the lanyard ring and move something else over to that side and maybe get rid of some of the extra washers and put the 3D Phillips back in on the opposite side of the large bit driver :think: you would of course have to check to make sure the pliers would still close but it is a thought :cheers:

• No Life Club
I present to you my "Harmless" Rebar :)

Removed the philips and saw, and replaced with small and large bit drivers and add in some additional washers I bought on Etsy.

Now it's truly a knifeless, harmless Rebar.

Actually it's got me thinking. I probably don't have a need for the file now either. What should I replace it with?

Great job; looks to be very functional and an excellent daily carry! Glad you were able to "make it yours" sarisfactorily.  :2tu: :cheers:

gb Offline John Worledge

• Nerd and proud of it.

20230324_131932.jpg
* 20230324_131932.jpg (Filesize: 157.09 KB)

This is my in progress knifeless rebar, I have some tinkering and fiddling to do before it is fully optimised to my needs. When complete I will provide a report.
In the meantime so much modding so little time :multi:
🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and proud.

us Online Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
That is looking great 8) :like: Love the blade exchanger as well :tu: :like:

You guys have got me wanting to mod on a Rebar again  :ahhh such a great platform to mod :dd: :like:

gb Offline John Worledge

• Nerd and proud of it.
Thanks Poncho65, my rebar is intended to provide extra tools to my edc which is either a charge tti or if in public a bond, i live in the uk. Chunky_lafunga has inspired some edc related mods to enhance my bond ie scissors and a package opener, but what to replace? I will need the blade but not the file or awl both of which I have on the knifeless rebar. Choices Choices.
🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and proud.

• No Life Club
This is my in progress knifeless rebar, I have some tinkering and fiddling to do before it is fully optimised to my needs. When complete I will provide a report.
In the meantime so much modding so little time :multi:

Excellent tool mod there; liking how functional it still is, especially with the blade adapter! Kudos to you, Sir, on a great job.

Perhaps add a blade adapter to your Bond, and thus increase the "portability factor" by not having to carry sepaprate tool blades?

gb Offline John Worledge

• Nerd and proud of it.
The blade adapter is fitted because I have found the st300eod t-shank blade is incredibly useful around the guest house run by my wife and myself. It is however too wide, I would like to obtain an adapter from aliexpress or originbicycle which are much thinner and would allow me to fit the saw. But for reasons too complicated and ridiculous for words in the UK there is no way to buy any of these items.
For my general edc carry a lighter more basic tool is more appropriate, either a bond or victorinox climber.
🇬🇧🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 and proud.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
March Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Mar 31
Total Receipts: $379.86
PayPal Fees: $19.62
Net Balance: $360.24
Above Goal: $60.24
Site Currency: USD