Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Iron Maiden- a gift from Megan

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Iron Maiden- a gift from Megan
on: March 24, 2023, 05:08:51 PM
Some of you may have seen this on FB, but here is a look through the whole thing.

A bit of a Preamble though- I've been a fan of Iron Maiden since my brother first brought home a copy of Maiden Japan, a 5 song live album that was the first Maiden recordings that the (then) new vocalist Bruce Dickinson was featured on, and was released a year before the iconic Number of the Beast album, which broke Iron Maiden as the iconic, world class band they became.

This set (two records) covers many of the big hits from 1980 to 1989, which includes some hits from the former singer, Paul D'ianno, who had some unfortunate habits that caused him to be removed from the band.

There are a few songs here that wouldn't have been my choice for a compendium, and there are a few songs I would think should be included but weren't.  Running Free should be on this album, perhaps more than Children of the Damned, but I'm sure whoever chose these songs drives a better car than I do, so maybe they make better choices than  I do!

Getting beyond song choices, I have to say this is a remarkably well done set.  Opening it up it has all of the lyrics for all of the songs followed by all of the album covers for each of the albums in the era.

When I was a kid I would spend hours reading and re-reading liner notes, and later studying the artwork of Derek Riggs, who had done all of the album art up until 1990's No Prayer for the Dying album. 

1987's Somewhere in Time album had enough of what would later be called Easter Eggs to keep me engrossed for hours.

Pulling out the records we see that they spared no detail, with gold heiroglyphics printed on a royal blue background, hardening back to the Powerslave album of 1984.

But that's not all!

Def

* 16796727157850.jpg (Filesize: 193.1 KB)

* 16796727158761.jpg (Filesize: 161.7 KB)

* 16796727159252.jpg (Filesize: 183.63 KB)

* 16796727159643.jpg (Filesize: 255.59 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Iron Maiden- a gift from Megan
Reply #1 on: March 24, 2023, 05:28:21 PM
As I said- there's more!

These aren't just a cool record set, they are picture disks!

Pulling out both thick hunks of vinyl (each as this as two normal records!) we see that Side One has the same artwork featured on the exterior- an image of the Somewhere in Time era Eddie bursting out of the pyramids behind Powerslave's Eddie Sphynx.

Side 3 (also known as Side One of Disk Two!) has the same Eddie image as Side One (and the cover) except without the Powerslave Sphinx.

Flipping the records over we see Side Two features a shot from a live show from the Seventh Son of a Seventh Son tour, judging by the dismembered Eddie with flaming head in the background.

Flanking Eddie are vocalist Bruce Dickinson and bass player (and only continuous, original member) Steve Harris, both of whom are responsible for writing the majority of Iron Maiden's catalogue.

Side 4 also features a live shot from a concert- this time from the Powerslave album from 1984, most likely during one of the shows they recorded and was released as the Live After Death album in 1985.

From left to right you see the entire band pictured here, starting with Dave Murray (rhythm guitar and second longest serving member), Steve Harris, Bruce Dickinson, Nicko McBrain (drummer from 1986 on), and Adrian Smith, who played lead guitar through most of the 80's, then left to pursue a solo career and was replaced by Jannick Gers. 

Adrian returned to Iron Maiden in the early 90's after his band ASAP (Adrian Smith And Project) had run its course, and Iron Maiden continued on with three guitar players at this point, which strikes me as an excellent and fair move to keep everyone happy and together.  And the fans, especially this one, love them for it.

And I love this record set, even if they did get the Playlist a bit wrong!  :P

Any other Maiden fans in the house?

Def

* 16796727159984.jpg (Filesize: 185.63 KB)

* 16796727160255.jpg (Filesize: 175.37 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #2 on: March 24, 2023, 05:58:36 PM
Nice!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: March 24, 2023, 06:28:01 PM
 :like:

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 24, 2023, 10:44:23 PM
Sweet!

I didn't listen to Iron Maiden during their heyday, but I have developed some appreciation for them in recent years.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: March 25, 2023, 11:33:11 AM
I have been a Maiden fan my whole life.

My father would watch the videos on MuchMusic, Canada's answer to MTV, and he'd say things like "is that what you want to be like when you grow up?"

Well, given Brice Dickinson's record.....

- front man to arguably one of the largest and most prolific heavy metal bands ever
- solo career just as successful as Maiden's
- inspiration to almost all leading bands that came afterwards
- world ranked swordsman (fencing)
- private and public pilot
- owns his own Sopwith Camel that he flies for historical re enactments
- when not touring with Maiden he flies jumbo jets for British Airways (and others)
- during the off seasons for the airlines he leases unused jumbo jets to fly the band and crew around to play in places many other bands can't get to
- he owns a company that is a major defense contractor
- survived throat cancer that should have either killed him or at least rendered him mute, and yet he is still singing, just as good as he ever was

There's probably more, but, yeah, if I could be half the man that guy in the tight spandex pants and leather vest is, I think I'd be doing pretty freaking good!

:D

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%