Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

My Charge knife, a work in progress

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: My Charge knife, a work in progress
Reply #90 on: April 04, 2023, 03:16:09 AM
Finally got around to doing something with my fancy new battery powered Dremel :whistle: :woohoo:

Pics of the new Dremel to kick things off :D

:nanadance:       :nanadance:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #91 on: April 04, 2023, 03:34:22 AM
Now to the modding :woohoo:

My original plan was to add a glass breaker bit and new outside scissors :salute: I was going to remove the outside opening diamond file and put a diamond file from a PST II. This would have made the bit driver swap to the correct side :like:

I used the diamond bit in this pic to enlarge the holes of the scissors and the glass breaker bit :cheers: Actually I think I may have used 3 total to do this :whistle: and part of why my old Dremel may have burnt out :facepalm: :oops:

but alas it was not meant to be :ahhh well, at least not with these scissors :dunno: ;)

I have some pics of the glass breaker bit and it's placement then we can talk about the scissor fail :cheers:

I had marked what needed to be grinded off

a pic with the scissors marked as well

I am going to go ahead and show how the scissors and spring looked :cheers: a little before and after but not all :oops: :dunno: :D

almost there :tu:

Some fitting of the glass breaker :salute: looking pretty good now :tu:

I had to grind the marked spot to make it line up with the front part of the knife but also to let it come forward enough for the hold to line up :tu:

Ended up pretty happy with the glass breakers bit and how it looks :woohoo: it adds a little weight to the knife but so far it has not been very noticeable in my pocket :salute:

Some different angles of it after I got the knife back together

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #92 on: April 04, 2023, 03:38:53 AM
Now on to the reason I couldn't get these particular scissors to work :oops: they grinded down just fine and I thought I could squeeze them in by using a thinner washer but it all boiled down to them being to thick to go in place of the file :facepalm: :oops: :ahhh

I do have another set from another MT knife and I may try those but I am not sure if they are thin enough either :ahhh

So for now I am happy to have added another function to my Charge knife without really having to change it :woohoo:

We will just say that the outside scissor mod is to be finished later if nothing else :D ;) :cheers:

Offline blackswanbazaar

• New User
Reply #93 on: April 04, 2023, 11:42:35 AM
That looks amazing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #94 on: April 04, 2023, 12:40:42 PM
Thanks blackswan :hatsoff:

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #95 on: April 04, 2023, 01:17:04 PM
Just saw this thread. Nothing can take away my SAKs, but these are pretty cool too! :drool:
It looks like you're really enjoying yourself with them. :tu:
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #96 on: April 04, 2023, 02:25:07 PM
Thanks Pabs :hatsoff: yes, I still carry my Executive  ;) but these knives are great to pair with any MT no matter how many or few tools they have :woohoo: :like:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #97 on: April 05, 2023, 12:05:13 AM
Oh my... they get better and better  :ahhh

Excellent job Sir  :like:  :gimme:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #98 on: April 05, 2023, 12:46:37 AM
Thanks Stitchy  :hatsoff: I am pretty happy with them and still daily carry after this many years :woohoo: :like:

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #99 on: April 05, 2023, 01:36:28 AM
When you get one tuned to what you need, it is awesome. And while using a Charge as the basis for these knives is more expensive than using a Wave or a Multiforce et al., you do get the higher quality blade and a little style  :like:  :tu:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #100 on: April 05, 2023, 12:11:27 PM
 :iagree: and thanks Adam :hatsoff: The Charge handle is a little wider as well and makes (for me) it easier for me to hold it as a knife :salute:

That toolset has really been so useful to me and although I was hoping to tweak it with the outside scissors, the toolset would have remained the same :ahhh so, I have found what works for me just wanting to try a different variation of the same thing :D

Offline ModificatYon

Reply #101 on: April 05, 2023, 12:24:48 PM
Hi Poncho65,

Very nive grinding work on your glass breaker, for the scissors I've done it on my Wave, I had to widen the slot to make it fit, the tolerance on the Charge might be a little too tight, and the titanium scales are less flexible I suppose.
You didn't try to integrate the pen and tweezer from a SAK in your glass breaker after all?

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #102 on: April 05, 2023, 02:44:16 PM
Hi Poncho65,

Very nive grinding work on your glass breaker, for the scissors I've done it on my Wave, I had to widen the slot to make it fit, the tolerance on the Charge might be a little too tight, and the titanium scales are less flexible I suppose.
You didn't try to integrate the pen and tweezer from a SAK in your glass breaker after all?

Thanks Mod :hatsoff: actually, I completely forgot about about toothpick and tweezers slots :oops: :rofl: I may tear it apart again and see about doing that sometime :facepalm: :D :cheers:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #103 on: April 11, 2023, 05:22:55 PM
Receiving a DM from a member made me realize that I forgot to mention the tool that I got the glass breaker bit and the scissors from :ahhh

It was a Sunbird MT knife but not seeing this on Aliexpress at the moment, the one that matches it is a Xiaomi multitool knife :salute:

I do have some video of this and still haven't edited it and put it on YouTube yet :whistle: :facepalm:

Offline MohiLond

Reply #104 on: May 15, 2023, 05:05:13 PM
Thank you for sharing.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #105 on: May 16, 2023, 06:11:44 PM
No problem :hatsoff: :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds