Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gerber Pack Hatchet

us Offline BadMechanic

Gerber Pack Hatchet
on: March 12, 2023, 03:07:33 PM
Im in the market for a small hatchet. I have a cheap HF beater for around the house but this would be more towards emergencies where it needs to work.

I learned today, as a non Fiskars and Gerber user, that Fiskar owns Gerber, which makes sense why each of their hatchets are the same price. Its about $35 for the models Im looking at (the X7 from Fiskers).

I was just seeing if anyone has experience with either the X7 or the Gerber Pack hatchet. Itll mostly ride in my truck with my other supplies but wanted something small enough if I took it in my pack without weighing me down.

Thank you for your help

Sent from my SM-A326U using Tapatalk

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Gerber Pack Hatchet
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 04:07:07 PM
I haven't used any of them, but I bought the X7 for my father in law. He wanted a axe without any need for upkeep. But it does get a lot of high praise in reviews.
The Gerber pack hatchet is the flat little hatchet thing? If so I don't think it really lends itself to serious work.

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2023, 01:42:49 AM
I used the Fiskars X5 for the Nessmuk Challenge. :like:
https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,83571.msg2162665.html#msg2162665

It is basically the same as the Gerber small hatchet, but the Fiskars X5 is a nice orange colour, and it has a great sheath. The Gerber comes with a crappy nylon pouch which is cheap and not that comfortable to use.

My experience was very positive. The X5 has a nice splitting head, and all the weight is the head, since the handle is hollow and plastic. Speaking of, the handle is excellent. It fits my large hands perfectly, it is oval, very comfortable, and the flare at the end prevents my hand from slipping off. Of course a lanyard would take care of that, but I did not need to add one. The hammer face is not really a hammer face, but it does hammer tent pegs nicely. Plus with such a short handle, your aim will be on point for every swing.
The steel is fine. I had to sharpen it once, and it took a nice edge with a ceramic rod. Also no rust on the edge. The coating is holding up perfectly, no flaking, no peeling, nothing.
I also like the sheath. I am surprised to see just how many hatchets, axes, and tomahawks are sold without a sheath. The X5 has one and it is really nice, too. The tool fits in nicely, it has a handle, it has a belt loop. The tool is easy to remove and put back, even with the heath on your belt. I had to add some Gorilla tape here and there in the sheath to make the tool stay tightly, with no rattle at all, but even as it came, it was fine.
It also carries nicely. I carried it in my cargo pocket, or in a bag. Really compact, but does the job.

So, I do recommend it. It is high value for money, comfortable, comes with a good sheath, sharpens up nicely, good weight, good splitter. I do not think you will regret it. :tu:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2023, 01:55:24 AM
Oh wait, which Gerber are we talking about? :think:
If it is the one on the left in the attached picture, then it is the same as the Fiskars X5. This is good.
If it is the one on the right, then no, not good.

I got the Gerber BG hatchet, which is the same as the one on the right, but with a rubber handle. Very uncomfortable. Imagine your phone as a handle. Too tall and too thin. I remember the edge rolling in one spot, after only one chop into hard wood. It is much lighter than the X5, with a much thinner head, so it might be better for light chopping I guess, but the X5 wins anyway. Also the Gerber comes with a terrible nylon sheath. I did not like it one bit. Steel, handle, ergonomics, sheath, hammer end, everything is much, much better on the X5.

* gerb.jpg (Filesize: 35.95 KB)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 02:02:46 AM by ReamerPunch »

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2023, 03:51:29 AM
My choice for vehicle duty is the Estwing 15” Camper’s Axe.  I have carried it in my pack, but it’s a bit on the heavy side for that IMO.

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #5 on: March 13, 2023, 04:01:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

ReamerPunch, I was referring to the sage green one on the right. But Ill take a look at the x5. Thank you

Well looks like US no longer has the X5. But I can either get the Gerber version or the X7.

« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 04:16:25 AM by BadMechanic »

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2023, 04:27:53 AM
This is basically a Fiskars X7:
https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-375501-1001-Hatchet-Sheath-Black/dp/B00EOA4J4K/ref=sr_1_10?crid=21TI4LXKFT6HU&keywords=gerber+hatchet&qid=1678677739&sprefix=gerber+hatche%2Caps%2C374&sr=8-10

There are many reviews about the X7 and some of the 14" one, so it should be just fine for what you need it for.
The Gerber gator hatchets are much more money. I'd still take the 14" Fiskars

* gerbf.jpg (Filesize: 102.09 KB)

us Offline BadMechanic

Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 08:44:06 AM
Thanks RP.

I see x7 has 10k+ reviews on Amazon,  mostly good.  I think I may go with bigger as the weight difference isn't much. 14in is still plenty compact for what I plan to use it for. Thanks again.

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 02, 2023, 09:35:08 AM
I've used the X7 and X17, and they're pretty good.

Edge is a wee soft, so play nice with it - but otherwise they'll chop-chop all day, and your hands and forearms won't get sore.
X7 can be used for some whittling and stuff too.

Unless you have your heart set on a timber handled axe, there's no real reason *not* to get a fiskars splitter or chopper.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%