Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Gardner ?

gb Offline K9medic

Gardner ?
on: March 25, 2023, 07:01:48 PM
I have just "adopted" a 100mm Gardner, I bought rather nice 108mm Solo (you can not have to many 108's) and the battered and bruised Gardner was looking lonely and I did not have the heart to leave it behind. 

I of course trying to  get a rough age for it, but so far can not place, though to be honest I do not know a great deal about the Gardner's.   

It has black nylon scales and brass liners (no key ring) so I assume its early on, but I have no idea when they first came out (I have seen one article that said early 2000's).

The only other distinguishing feature is a red shield on black scales.  All the pictures I have found so far the shield is the same colour as the scales.

20230324_171139.jpg
* 20230324_171139.jpg (Filesize: 219.65 KB)

Can anyone point me in the right direction for this one?

us Offline Enginears

Re: Gardner ?
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2023, 06:45:11 AM
Maybe someone here will know the entire history, but these knives have been around for a while. In the 1984-85 dealer catalog there are red nylon versions with similar tang stamp, but interestingly no shield. I have 3 different versions of the black with brass liners. 
The left one is the newest I think, as it shares the same tang stamp and raised shield as my newly purchased 100mm. The right two are older and neither have a raised shield, both have the same tang stamp which is “Victorinox Switzerland Stainless Rosterei” with the big V, which on 91mm indicates 1986-1991. The difference other than the red shield are a slightly different grind on the backside of the blade, and the red shield version is smoother than all the other nylon scaled versions. I am not sure if that means its not nylon or if at some point the nylon was smoother.   

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%