Multitool.org

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

So Which is the Best? 4310

Sr. Member Posts: 289
So Which is the Best?
« on: March 14, 2007, 01:19:19 AM »
Hi everybody, nice site.

I have 2 questions and would really appreciate any answers:

1. I snapped the blade off my swiss army knife the other day after trying to force a small lock with it at work and I think Im going to replace it with a multitool this time but I dont want a big brick digging into my leg every time I sit down so whats a good multitool in the 3.5 inch long, 1 inch thick size range? Do they even exist? I suppose it could be a tiny bit bigger but not much, any suggestions?

2. Which is the best multitool overall? There doesn't seem to be a hall of fame section or anything like that around and I was just curious.

Thanks.

Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,343 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: So Which is the Best?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 01:42:23 AM »
Asking what's the best multitool is alot like asking which one of your kids is your favorite?

We all have different tastes and likes and dislikes based on what we do, and what we anticipate doing.  Many of us also choose different tools for different days or jobs. 

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the tools from any major manufacturers, but the most popular tools seem to be the Leatherman Core, the Leatherman Charge, the SwissTool Spirit, the Gerber MP 600 and the SOG PowerLock.  The PowerLock and Core are probably too big for your needs based on what you said, and the Spirit is probably the most moderately priced of what's left.

You may also find what you want in the Juice series, which aren't much bigger than most SAKs, and there are several to choose from.  Again, some of them get a little pricey as well though.

If you could give a little more info as to what you are looking for in a tool (what implements for example) any preference in price or manufacturer or it's intended use, we may be a little better able to help you decide.  And, don't forget to check out the reviews posted on the main part of this site at www.multitool.org as there is lots of valuable information there too.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 02:17:52 PM »
Hey Defender, Im a student and I build pcs so I suppose my main usage would be that but I work part time in an ancient cinema thats literally falling apart so its a general maintenance kind of tool Im after aswell, a couple of screwdrivers, a knife and a pliers basically, everything else would be a plus. Ill look into your recommendation's though, thanks.

EDIT: Oh yeah that Juice series looks like what Im after, that XE6 looks sweet, Ill keep an eye on Ebay for one.
Head Turd Polisher Administrator Just Bananas Posts: 61,343 Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:41:15 PM »
The XE6 is a geat tool but unfortunately is not terribly pocketable.  You may want to look into getting a sheath for it.

Def

Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.
Full Member Posts: 234
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:59:03 PM »
The XE6 is a geat tool but unfortunately is not terribly pocketable.  You may want to look into getting a sheath for it.

Def

Yeah, it's a cool tool but it's pretty heavy and better with the sheath, particularly if you add on the bit driver and bits.
No Life Club Posts: 1,346 Right Wing Psychopath!
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:57:00 PM »
Thargor,

I would have to say that I would vote for the Swisstool Spirit or Spirit S.  I recieved my swiss tool about two weeks ago and I have to say that it is the finest tool that I have ever owned.  It has a sheath with it but I have opted to carry it in my pocket at work a few days and I have to say that it is comfortable to carry that way.  It also has a "dehorned" smooth finish and it does not catch on pockets at lest in my experience.  It is also not all that large even compared to some folding knives that I have carried at times and the weight of the tool is the same or lighter than other multitools.  What I like most of all is that the tool is really tight and does not rattle like other tools I own.  Not saying that those tools are junk but it is like comparing a timex to a rolex.  Yeah, they both tell time and get the job done but one is clearly more refined.  Good luck finding a tool.       
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 07:27:13 PM »
I think I am going to go with the Victorinox Spirit S now that you mention it CQC-7, money isnt really an issue when you're buying something thats going to last you this long and it really does sound like an excellent piece of kit, thanks for the suggestions everybody. By the way, if anyone here is in England or Ireland this Ebay shop seems to be selling for a good bit less than the recommended retail price and they wont charge you VAT either:

http://tinyurl.com/yukq65
No Life Club Posts: 1,346 Right Wing Psychopath!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 12:48:51 AM »
I'm glad that I could help.  I believe that you will be as pleased with your tool as I was with mine.  I have the Spirit not the Spirit "S."  Dont be fooled, the spirit's serrated sheepsfoot like blade is very functional.  Although I would like having the spearpoint style of the spirit s (and I will own one of those soon as well) I have not found it necessary to have for most EDC situations.
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 06:52:12 PM »
Oh yeah, I see what you mean about the blade alright, that doesnt look too good, seeing as how thats what I use 90% of the time anyway, Im looking for the Spirit S but I dont see it on Ebay or Amazon or any European sites, damn.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that Im looking for one where the blade opens from the outside of the handle so that I dont have to go opening the pliers to get at it, I dont care if you have to for the rest of the tools but I like the blade to be easily accessible, is there anything similar to the Spirit that does that? A lot of the ones Ive looked at seem to require that you open the handles.
Hero Member Posts: 692
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 07:05:47 PM »
...Another thing I forgot to mention is that Im looking for one where the blade opens from the outside of the handle so that I dont have to go opening the pliers to get at it, I dont care if you have to for the rest of the tools but I like the blade to be easily accessible, is there anything similar to the Spirit that does that? A lot of the ones Ive looked at seem to require that you open the handles.

Although some are larger than your original specifications, these all have outside accessible tools:
Leatherman Wave
Leatherman Charge
Leatherman Surge
Leatherman Juice
Leatherman Squirt
SOG Power Assist
SOG Toolclip
Wenger SwissGrip
Wenger PocketGrip
Victorinox SwissTool
Bear Jaws (previously under Victorinox ownership, it was the forerunner to the SwissTool)
Gerber Recoil
Gerber Freehand
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 07:13:18 PM by supratentorial »
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 08:48:58 PM »
I think the Victorinox SwissTool is the one Im going for then, that ruler would be fairly handy now that i think about it, thanks for making that list Supratentorial, Ill go back and have a look at those before I buy but I think Ive made my decision, the SwissTool RS seems to have everything I want and its cheap enough on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-53935-SwissTool-RS/dp/B00004YVB0/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/103-6908727-4587819?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1174074233&sr=8-3

Cant wait now :D
« Last Edit: March 16, 2007, 08:50:59 PM by Thargor »
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 10:41:33 PM »
You should really check out our banner advertisers first:

http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=243&category_id=d71e8207f18207d6e07f2a32bf5b8baa&option=com_phpshop&Itemid=1

Sure, it looks like it's two dollars more, but Felinevet ships free....

Oh, and you may want to re-think the SwissTool series if you want something pocketable- they are pretty hefty.

Def

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 12:04:35 AM »
Ive using Firefox with Adblock Filterset G and the Google toolbar, I dont see a lot of ads, sorry, :laugh: I dont see any ads actually. They dont have any left anyway, who knows when they'll have more, plus its probably free shipping in the US but its rare to see free transatlantic shipping.

Decisions, decisions, Im going into Dublin tomorrow to a place that I know sell Gerber and a few others so Ill see what I think after I see a few in person but I really want the Victorinox now, Ill let you know what I go with
Full Member Posts: 113 Skint Brit!!
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2007, 12:52:14 AM »
I would recommend Felvinevet for your Swiss tool!!  Great service to this side of the Atlantic!!

E
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2007, 01:43:08 AM »
Really? Free postage to Europe? Thats excellent, Ill have to keep an eye on them and see if they get it back in stock, thanks.
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 07:20:06 PM »
Still haven't decided and the amount of times Ive needed a knife in the last 2 weeks is driving me crazy :angry:

Anyway Im definitely taking the plunge on Friday to celebrate the end of my exams, I think its going to be a Leatherman Charge XTi or TTi (Anybody got a link to a review of the TTi by the way? Is it worth the extra 30 or 40?) so forget about what I said about size in the first post, 4 inches is nothing really.

Anyone in Europe know of a better place to pick them up besides Ebay?

No Life Club Posts: 1,600
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2007, 08:44:18 PM »
Im a UK buyer Thargor, and Im thinking of currently buying the TTI sold by Cabela's in the states. Its going to be expensive (much cheaper to buy off US ebay sellers, the cheapest of which sell the TTI inclusive of shipping to UK for ~$110), but I'm paying the extra because they are the only store which sell TTi's with camo handles and black blades/pliers. The way Im thinking of getting it to the UK is by getting one of the kind members on this board to pick it up from a local store, and then shipping it to me, but in total im thinking itll work out to ~$150. $40 for a paint job I know, but I don't often splash out on myself.
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2007, 10:32:01 PM »
Yeah I read your thread, its a lovely tool alright, I just got a TTi on Ebay for $113.99 delivered to Ireland, my only other options for the TTi were from Finland or the UK, both more expensive and neither of which included insurance which the US option did ($3), so €85 or £58, not  too bad I think and I should have it in a week, cant wait :D
Admin Team Absolute Zombie Club Posts: 23,213
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2007, 11:46:30 PM »
Make sure to come back and tell us all about it..... :)

~Bob

In order to be certain of having the right tool for every job.........one must first acquire a lot of tools
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 04:39:45 AM »
As you probably know by now, Tim usually does have that stuff in stock, but a small glitch in the software often makes it look like it isn't.  I suggest emailing him and asking what he's got in the future.

Def

No Life Club Posts: 1,894
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2007, 07:18:28 AM »

2. Which is the best multitool overall? There doesn't seem to be a hall of fame section or anything like that around and I was just curious.

Thanks.

In my personal opinion the Leatherman Blast is the best overall multi-tool for general, non-commital usage. It is not overly large, it features a well-thought out range of implements and does not feature the wasteful arrangement of serrated blade and plain edge blade. I too work in an old (1901), creaky building that is falling apart daily and constantly requires fixin' and I have found the Blast suits my needs the best. Of course, you may feel differently.

Of course there are multi-tools that have better individual features than the Blast. Example; the pliers on the Powerlock are stronger, larger and more effective with the compound leverage but the rest of the implements are not as balanced as the Blast.

I do not own a Swisstool Spirit but from what I see it looks like it compares very well to the Blast so my opinion may change when I finally finally take the Victorinox plunge. They are really the only major company that I own no tools from.
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2007, 02:30:41 PM »
Thanks Spoonrobot, the Blast is a very nice looking tool now that I look at it again and if I saw one going cheap on Ebay Id snap it up just to have it, unfortunately having to open the handle to get at the blade kills any chance it had of replacing my Charge TTi as my EDC, I use the blade 90% of the time and everything else is the other 10% so there'd be no point in inconveniencing myself like that. In the end after making this thread I went for a Charge TTi and grabbed a Swisstool that I saw going cheap aswell at the time and I love them both, only problem is choosing which one to take with me in the mornings, plus I bought a Cybertool 41 SAK recently and I check the multitool and SAK section on Ebay practically every day so Im guessing it wont be long before I have a bit of a collection going, Ill tell you what I think of the Blast if I ever get one.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
July Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: $20.00
PayPal Fees: $1.35
Net Balance: $18.65
Below Goal: $281.35
Site Currency: USD
 6%