Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Victorinox Evoke

Offline mansedan

Victorinox Evoke
on: April 11, 2023, 03:21:57 PM
https://www.swissknifeshop.com/blogs/the-cutting-edge/victorinox-evoke-knife-collection-a-strong-set-of-blades-for-outdoor-adventure

New folding knives, apparently different from the Hunter line with removable thumb studs and pocket clips, and different blade shapes and finishes. The green one looks dope, but expensive.

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: Victorinox Evoke
Reply #1 on: April 11, 2023, 03:49:58 PM
Listed on Vic's website as well now. They look nice, but it's hard to get excited about a "five function"  :rofl: basic folder. Might pick up the blue and red at some point.

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #2 on: April 11, 2023, 04:07:32 PM
Listed on Vic's website as well now. They look nice, but it's hard to get excited about a "five function"  :rofl: basic folder. Might pick up the blue and red at some point.

I think it's just 3 functions! And two of those are the pocket clip and the lanyard hole...

Look, it's Victorinox so I'm sure the quality of these knives will be excellent. But personally, I think would rather carry my Camper or Recruit for all the additional tools.

But I look forward to seeing some pics from folks around here!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 04:21:50 PM
They're listing the thumb stud and lanyard as tools.

I'm tempted to give them a pass on the paracord, but clearly they should've put a bottle opener on the thing.

us Offline knifecoop

Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 05:29:31 PM
Since the Evoke models have a thumbstud, I am curious about their action. How easy are they to open using the thumbstud and can you easily unlock and close them with one hand?
Cheers!

cz Offline z1913

Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 05:44:20 PM
Oh, I saw the red one in the store while checking the companion, but I did not realise it is a new model so did not take any real life pictures… they did not have (yet) the green one on display.

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 06:36:08 PM
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 08:47:26 PM
I could get more excited about these and the Hunter pros if they weren’t so stupid big. They’re almost an inch longer closed than the 111mm line. If they were the same size as the 111mm line, I’d like them quite a bit more.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 05:08:26 AM
Wow - These took me totally by surprise - We'd all heard about the Companion/package opener - But this was the first I heard of these!!

And yes BPR and M221 - I think I'd call it a single function tool
Vic have always been very creative in counting their tools (eg cm and inch ruler is two functions - isn't it just a ruler ..... and as for the keyring!!!

Seems like Vic are really getting into their single blade folders - So many options/models with the Hunters and Evokes...
Yet they are withdrawing many of their regular SAKs .... what the company is most known for and their traditional heartland  ......... Very strange

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 05:12:50 AM
I awlso think they're stretching the truth when they refer to the thumb studs and lanyard hole as "functions." But the Evoke seems to have some good, if minor, upgrades. And if I ever get desperate for the Alox Colors Level III badge, I'd much rather buy a beige Alox Evoke than a Classic SD.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline DansGearAddiction

Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 05:33:09 AM
I could get more excited about these and the Hunter pros if they weren’t so stupid big. They’re almost an inch longer closed than the 111mm line. If they were the same size as the 111mm line, I’d like them quite a bit more.

1000% agree.

Between the weight, the size and the firm opening action and lock tension, it's really tough to justify as an EDC, particularly when things like the Spyderco Endura (similar size, lighter weight, better one-hand opening method, smoother action, better steel [and I say this as someone who likes SAK steel]) can be had for the same price.

Wish they'd do a 3-3.25" version -- would be way more appealing.

It's a shame, I like the knife itself, but in practice it's just not practical.
Desperately searching for a 2015 Alox Classic!

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 02:01:23 AM
Definitely a one-function knife haha!

I don’t hate it, but feel like it is pretty pedestrian for the price point, especially with Vic’s standard steel.

The market segment of OHO locking folders with pocket clips is crowded and competitive, and I would submit that there are probably equally good options available for less money, or better options available for about the same price.

I have to disagree with some of the previous comments about the length though.  I think a  4” blade on a single-blade folder is about perfect.  It it large enough to handle almost any chore (yes, certain things like cutting up a watermelon are easier with an even larger blade), while still being a pocketable size.  I’ve long held that (within reason) it is easier to use a big knife (I’m talking about a 4-6” blade here) for small knife stuff than to use a small knife for big knife stuff.  When I think about blades that are closer to 3” (or smaller), a multi-blade slippie or 93 mm or smaller SAK seems like a more logical home for them than a single blade folder.

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 03:05:17 PM
Definitely a one-function knife haha!

I don’t hate it, but feel like it is pretty pedestrian for the price point, especially with Vic’s standard steel.

The market segment of OHO locking folders with pocket clips is crowded and competitive, and I would submit that there are probably equally good options available for less money, or better options available for about the same price.

I have to disagree with some of the previous comments about the length though.  I think a  4” blade on a single-blade folder is about perfect.  It it large enough to handle almost any chore (yes, certain things like cutting up a watermelon are easier with an even larger blade), while still being a pocketable size.  I’ve long held that (within reason) it is easier to use a big knife (I’m talking about a 4-6” blade here) for small knife stuff than to use a small knife for big knife stuff.  When I think about blades that are closer to 3” (or smaller), a multi-blade slippie or 93 mm or smaller SAK seems like a more logical home for them than a single blade folder.

For my uses, if I'm doing something where I need a 4" blade (outside of food prep, which I rarely do with a pocket knife), I want a fixed blade.  Basically, if I need that much blade, I'm generally doing something where a pre-broken knife (i.e., a folder) isn't the best for the job.
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 04:03:22 PM
IMHO -  Victorinox makes a very nice assortment of knives, in amazing colors, variety of functions, with and as many different handle materials.

The Hunters are a very sturdy knife, I own three and will admit, none of these have ventured beyond the boundaries of my home🙄

As stated above, a fix blade, will get the call for any tasks, involving camping, hiking, and hunting.

I truly believe these new models are not targeted to be users in the real world!  Look at them, they are unique, some even pretty! These knives are (99.8%), made for the collectors around the world. 

There are so many very good knives made today, fixed, folders and slipjoint. Multi-function and we each have our favorites.
But, the same knife pattern made with so many different handle patterns and materials have to have been designed to make a profit, to be sold to those that price being the first, to have the most, to have AWL models.

As stated the Hunter line has impressed me and someday one may get the call when I venture into the wild, just not sure when…

Just thinking, why?

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Buzzbait

Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 05:44:57 PM
I just can't get into any of these big honking hunters. Too big. Too heavy. Non-competitive choice of steel in comparison to the rest of the industry. Blades look too thick for my liking.

I love, love, love Victorinox, but they're not playing to their strengths here. The thumb stud and pocket clip are a step in the right direction though, if they truly want to make a one-hand opening tactical folder.
--
'Buzz

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #15 on: April 13, 2023, 05:57:06 PM
Wow - These took me totally by surprise - We'd all heard about the Companion/package opener - But this was the first I heard of these!!

And yes BPR and M221 - I think I'd call it a single function tool
Vic have always been very creative in counting their tools (eg cm and inch ruler is two functions - isn't it just a ruler ..... and as for the keyring!!!

Seems like Vic are really getting into their single blade folders - So many options/models with the Hunters and Evokes...
Yet they are withdrawing many of their regular SAKs .... what the company is most known for and their traditional heartland  ......... Very strange

It makes sense in a way - look at the rest of the pocket knife market these days! One hand opening, single-bladed folders are what's popular right now, for whatever reason. And some of them demand pretty high prices! It's overwhelmingly what you see on YouTube these days and they will be 90% of the knives you see at any gun/knife show.

Not my cup of tea personally. I can't say I've ever had a need for "tactical" pocket knife that has a 4" blade, inexplicably looks like a katana, and seems to be doing everything possible to do its best to look like a weapon and not a tool.

I'm not trying to throw shade on people who buy these things - people should spend their money how they like. And there are definitely situations where the ability to open a pocket knife with one hand is critical, to be fair.

But there is definitely a "tacticool" element to a lot of knives I have seen that fall into the one hand opening, single-blade folder category. Personally, that kind of thing makes me roll my eyes. To each their own!

All that said, I can't blame Victorinox for trying to cash in on the cache those knives seem to have these days.

For my uses, if I'm doing something where I need a 4" blade (outside of food prep, which I rarely do with a pocket knife), I want a fixed blade.  Basically, if I need that much blade, I'm generally doing something where a pre-broken knife (i.e., a folder) isn't the best for the job.

If I'm doing something outdoors that requires a 4"+ blade... there's a good chance I'll be better served by totally different tool! Saw, hatchet, machete, etc.  :dunno:

us Offline Ike582

Reply #16 on: April 14, 2023, 11:45:36 PM
I'm not sure if Vic has ever announced a new model that I am LESS interested in that these. 
Ike

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #17 on: April 15, 2023, 01:36:48 PM
Regardless of our opinion, the Alox Blue/Red model is SOLD OUT on multiple outlets as of last night🤪

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Ike582

Reply #18 on: April 15, 2023, 05:41:26 PM
Regardless of our opinion, the Alox Blue/Red model is SOLD OUT on multiple outlets as of last night🤪

If that encourages Vic to continue to issue new designs I'm all for it (even if I'm not a fan of this one). 
Ike

de Offline peddy v

• ...more like a wizard than a knight
Reply #19 on: April 27, 2023, 04:26:51 AM
I like the kinda oldschool clippoint blade and colours, but it has been said before, very competitive market and i would say the steel while practical is not up to par. It shines in smaller tools because of the slicy edge geometry but i would not use it for harder tasks. Thanks to the thumbstud, removable or not this is not streat legal in germany anyway, we prefer small (<12cm) fixed blades or even slipjoints ala ukpk.

us Offline Jegred2

Reply #20 on: August 15, 2023, 08:14:11 PM
I like the Evoke, but I just moved to Germany and can’t legally carry a locking folder that opens one handed. This fits the bill nicely since I popped off the thumb stud easily. It was between this and a Buck 110, and the Evoke is much thinner and very pocketable. The weight isn’t an issue if you’re wearing jeans. My only complaint is the tip is set up a little blunted and not pokey enough for my taste. If I’m wearing shorts I’ll just carry my Spyderco UKPK.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #21 on: December 15, 2023, 12:23:51 AM
Hey SAK Fans

I just noticed something interesting about the Evoke range

Their product codes have the same root as the Hunter Pros - 0.9415
So for instance the red Hunter Pro is: 0.9415.20
The red Evoke is: 0.9415.D20

This kinda makes sense as to me the Evokes are really just the Hunter Pros with a thumbstud and fancy scales!!    :dunno:

Question is what do we do for the Wiki?
I guess we need a new page for the Evokes - As the Hunter Pro page is awlready very busy 

What are your thoughts?   ???    :think:

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #22 on: December 15, 2023, 01:06:36 AM
How does the wiki currently handle variants? I'm thinking of the serrated Spartan (the Weekender, I think it's called?) as an example.

If the Evoke is just a (largely cosmetic) variant of the Hunter Pro then it does make a certain degree of sense to have it on the same page or, at the very least, a different page with links pointing at each other in a fairly prominent location on the page.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #23 on: December 19, 2023, 12:51:20 PM
We put in a new page:
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Evoke
Quite pleased with it   !!    :tu:    :salute:

Thanks Nick4

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #24 on: December 19, 2023, 07:58:57 PM
Great info, and  nice information.

It looks great on laptop, but on small screen difficult to view.
May I suggest inserting pictures between paragraphs or however it is done so Trey’s is not chopped up. Also rotate the images so text is horizontal.
My view on phone,

IMG_5282.jpg
* IMG_5282.jpg (Filesize: 46.91 KB)

IMG_5283.jpg
* IMG_5283.jpg (Filesize: 40.99 KB)

IMG_5284.jpg
* IMG_5284.jpg (Filesize: 43.86 KB)
and

Hope yours is as good!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: December 19, 2023, 09:39:36 PM
Thank you and thanks for the feedback.

Yes  -  I had noticed that -  If we put images between text paras then you get lots of white space on the PC screen  - which is not great either :(
Also we'd need to rework all 800 WIKI pages to achieve this !    :o

On my phone if you rotate your phone through 90° - It looks pretty good.
If the phone screen does not re-orientate - there is a phone display setting that allows that to happen - At least on the iphone.

Not quite sure what you mean by this::
......... Also rotate the images so text is horizontal. .......

Can you explain pls?
:tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #26 on: December 19, 2023, 09:53:51 PM
Thank you for the reply!   :hatsoff:

Understand that small screen does not compensate for orientation and the dilemma Laptop or desktop screen most likely best method.

My comment was  regarding the last picture that included the stock or model numbers. As it is displayed the text is oriented for the picture to be horizontal, but as the pictures are vertical the text is  vertical but  to read you must  tilt the screen slightly. Yet, this is likely the same constraint  as a small screen format.

So I can live with it.

Hope yours is as good!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 01:29:44 AM
Did anyone notice this?   ???

I was updating the annual Alox page in the Wiki with the Evoke for 2024 - I copied the model number from the new Evoke page Nick4 created
I noticed that the product code root was a duplicate of the Hunter Pro - ie 0.9415
At first I thought that we had made a mistake - So checked the Vic website and - no mistake - It has the same root model code.
(Although the clip point variations do have a different root ie  0.9425)
Note: The Evokes do have different model code suffixes

This is very strange, - Of course the Evoke and HP are very, very similar, but it is designated as a different model by Vic and of course the blade - ie thumbstud -  is completely different.
- So you would think it would have a new model code.
Normally the suffixes are used for variations in scales on a model, or special/limited editions etc etc   

Another strange thing is these new letters BS and BSH - associated with the black bladed Evokes
Anyone any idea what these mean?   ???    :think:

I guess the B means black - And the H somehow means clip-point - What about the S ..... is it that spectral coating thing they do ?   ???

Thoughts please    :salute:

You can check out details in the Wiki here - and on the Victorinox site of course
https://sakwiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Victorinox+Evoke

PS. From the Vic website and 2024 catalogue - It looks like the Evoke has replaced the Hunter Pro Alox and wooden scaled models.
With the HP just retaining the plastic handled and OHO blade models
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 08:26:16 AM by Huntsman »

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 01:40:45 AM
My comment was  regarding the last picture that included the stock or model numbers.
As it is displayed the text is oriented for the picture to be horizontal, but as the pictures are vertical the text is  vertical but  to read you must  tilt the screen slightly. Yet, this is likely the same constraint  as a small screen format.

So I can live with it.

Aha I see what you mean now - That is a stock image from Vic - So nothing we can do about that  - Sorry  :dunno:
But you can live with it - So     :tu:    :tu:    :tu:    :D

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 03:30:10 AM
Another strange thing is these new letters BS and BSH - associated with the black scaled Evokes
Anyone any idea what these mean?   ???    :think:

I guess the B means black - And the H somehow means clip-point - What about the S ..... is it that spectral coating thing they do ?   ???

Thoughts please

BS = Burnished Steel, which is the black finish

H = clip point blade (as opposed to the default spear point)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%