Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Replacement for Leatherman Squirt

Offline DanaAcker

Replacement for Leatherman Squirt
on: April 23, 2023, 06:35:05 PM
Good afternoon, I have an Alpaka Zip Pro pocket organizer. It has an outside pocket in which my Leatherman Squirt PS4 fits with just a little room to spare. Since it’s been discontinued by Leatherman, I’m looking for a high quality, small multi-tool in the same size range, with pliers, to replace it.  Many recommend the Gerber Dime, but I’ve had problems with Chinese manufactured Gerber tools previously. Any and all suggestions welcome.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Replacement for Leatherman Squirt
Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 08:07:23 PM
The Micra (albeit an older model) would be suitable replacement but it is not plier based :cheers:

Or you could just buy another PS4 before the prices get ridiculous since it has been discontinued  :tu:

A third option would be to get a SwissChamp or another Victorinox model that has pliers in them :think: I believe a Deluxe Tinker is a small model that still has the pliers as well :salute:

Offline DanaAcker

Reply #2 on: April 23, 2023, 09:39:20 PM
Good point. Pre-owned $20-$70, and new $70-$100 on eBay. While I like the Squirt, I’ve heard talk that Leatherman is pulling the plug on it because it is the most returned for repair or replacement of all the models they make, and, it’s also more costly to repair because it’s riveted as opposed to being screwed together. While I haven’t experienced it, there’s  been a lot of talk about faulty spring heat treatment. I did have a back spring snap while engaging the blade on a Juice one time. I know retooling an operation isn’t easy or cheap, but given the model’s popularity, one would think that they might ditch the rivets and use screws.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:46:55 PM by DanaAcker »

Offline DanaAcker

Reply #3 on: April 23, 2023, 09:44:44 PM
I like the Micra, but I wish Leatherman would take a page from the old SOG playbook, when they made the old  Cross Cut and Cross Grip.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: April 23, 2023, 10:55:16 PM
SOG Power Pint.  :cheers:

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #5 on: April 24, 2023, 02:16:12 AM
You may find these rather topical videos introduce some options worth considering:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #6 on: April 24, 2023, 05:26:14 AM
The Surge can do everything the Squirt can. ::)

Seriously though, you could get a Squirt on ebay. But then you won't have warranty, so if something happens to it and you send it for repair, you'll get a Micra back.
I like the Deluxe Tinker pliers. They are extremely well made and excel at precision tasks.
I also like the small Victorinox knives. The Manager is my favorite small one. Also discontinued recently.  :-[
If you're looking for the same form factor, maybe a Gerber Dime? :think:

Offline DanaAcker

Reply #7 on: April 24, 2023, 05:48:40 AM
Hey, thanks all! I like the YouTube folks posting, but they tend to be knife folks first. I appreciate what y’all have to say, as y’all are multi-tool people.  Street cred, ya know!

us Offline Demel

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: April 24, 2023, 11:02:50 PM
SOG Power Pint.  :cheers:
I second this. It has a few more tools and is slightly larger but amazing for its size. I'm not sure there is a better tool in that size range good luck on your hunt

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." -John Wooden

Offline DanaAcker

Reply #9 on: April 29, 2023, 05:19:51 PM
Since last week, I found a reasonably priced US made basic Swiss-Tech, just pliers and a flat and phillips head screw drivers on eBay. I also found a SOG Cross Grip, also reasonably priced and in good shape. The Cross Grip is a great small multi-tool, but with one flaw. The tools are all slip joints, which is fine, but the phillips driver, is just a flat piece of metal with the end opposite the driver head looped around the axle upon which the other tools ride. There is no stop for it, much like the tweezers on the opposite handle. At first I thought this might have been a repair, but it has a phillips icon stamped into it for identification., and the tool bears no marks of tampering.

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #10 on: April 30, 2023, 01:24:12 PM
Ah yeas, the infamous CrossGrip Phillips. I only understood how terrible it was when I help a CrossGrip in my hands. Seriously, what a bad way to include a tool. I like the pliers on it though. Nice profile and quite a grip. :cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%