Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Bladeless Bond for European and Woods carry! Question for Europeans....

Offline Macchina

• New User
I travel to Europe a decent amount for work (engineering) and have found myself more than once without tools.  Once we were setting up a whole booth at a show and the keys to our locked tool crib got lost.  We were attempting to bolt and screw together displays and products for days with just our hands.  A leatherman would have killed it that day... Never again!

Not only that but when I'm in the woods, I tend to have a pocket knife, a slipjoint, and a fixed blade if I'm hunting or backpacking. A third or fourth blade is very redundant, but a small saw is extremely handy.

I took the blade and lanyard ring off my Bond and replaced them with a saw (from a Rebar) and scissors (from a Wave+).  It's an ultralight package with a lot of functionality!  I think I'll add the bit adapter and kit if we ever do a show again!

Question for those in Europe: Do you think I would ever run into trouble carrying this in Europe (Italy mostly, but some in Germany and France) with the Awl and Saw?  It would be a big stretch (they aren't one hand opening nor locking) but the awl could possibly be interpreted as a knife by a cross-eyed bobby.  Not that it matters but a metal pen is far more dangerous than each of these...

I did end up gluing in some rubber strips to protect the edges on the saw and scissors.  They both sit nice and high and are easier to get out with the rubber in there:

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
That really is a very nice, mod :o looks well thought out and you just have to love that old school look the Bond has 8) :like: :like:

I am not in Europe but the US however being a member here so long I would be willing to say that you would be fine with that :salute: unless certain officials were a bit more strict and considered the saw, scissors and awl as blades (also with the a tool out and the handles closed some countries might still consider the tools as locking because they couldn't be closed up on itself  :dunno:

I am just going by what I have heard over the years and if you also have a reasonable cause to carry a tool (which it seems you do) then as long as you are acting right they wouldn't have a reason to check you to begin with but if they did it may still be allowed :cheers:

it Offline Andrew

I'm from Italy and i hope this will help you.
The law in Italy says that knifes are a weapon only if you carry in an inappropriate place or without a reason.

So if you want to carry a knife you need a reason, e.g. for fishing, hunting or like in your case, for work. I recommend you not to carry it in shops with the magnetic scanner at the entrance or banks because the alarm might start (not always).

This will work with knifes without one hand opening like swiss army knifes. Knifes with oho, locking blade and double-edged Blade are always considered a weapon and so illegal to carry.
In my experience is not normal to be checked for knifes by authorities in normal places, I personally carry a Vic as EDC but not when I have to go into shops. I also carried a Leatherman but I needed pliers for work in that case

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Nice mod to your Bond!

In England suspect that’s if you are checked, explanations maybe likely, but if you explain why and can justify you would be good.

Trade shows and booth set up, the correct tools are best option. Tool kit lock and lost keys is funny. 

I used to do setups and had to deal with Unions for many venues for setup. The locked crib is nothing.

But to be safe I always carried a tool roll in suitcase.  A 6n1 screwdriver, a 4” crescent wrench, a 6” channel lock plier, mag light flash light and needle nose liner with about 100 zip ties.   Union reps never saw my toolset as a threat.  But is saved the day more than once as well as $1,000s in extra labor fees the unions charged for SPECIALS as they would call any mods to original requests.
This was all state side exhibits.
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Welcome to MTo and very nice mod to your Bond.

Yep I am in line with the others - The key phrase in most jurisdictions seems to be ''having a reasonable reason' to carry your tool/knife
And you certainly have that  - I am sure your Bond would be OK even with a knife blade.

Even in nanny state Australia you do see 'tradies' walking around with multitools on display on their belts and I have not heard of it being a problem.

Being sensible and cautious is always a prudent, and good advice from Andrew re shops and banks etc 
You seem to think things through and plan well - so I am sure you'll be fine

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD