Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Don't worry, the stabilizer legs are safe!

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Don't worry, the stabilizer legs are safe!
on: May 10, 2023, 05:52:43 PM
My coworker decided to boil herself an egg for lunch today, and whipped out her trusty Jetboil stove.

It's a bit windy today, so naturally this trained volunteer firefighter decided that the mostly level ground didn't require the use of stabilizer legs.

When it fell over and the plastics caught fire, her finely honed rural volunteer firefighter instincts kicked in, and, ignoring the fire extinguisher she keeps in the back of the car, she sauntered up the hill to get my help.

While the pressurized isobutane cannister burned less than 3 feet away from her car.

Upon arriving I realized that I didn't want to be anywhere near it, so, using a stick, I pushed it into a muddy area and surrounded it with large rocks in the hopes of keeping any blast reasonably contained.

Since then I have just stood back, hoping it would burn itself out before it detonated, a best case scenario.

She is currently on her way to McDonalds for lunch.

When asked why she didn't use her fire extinguisher, she told me she didn't think it would be useful without being able to shut off the gas.  My reply was that we could have used the fire extinguisher to remove the oxygen from the equation and extinguish the flames long enough to close the valve.

I didn't have the heart to point out that once the flame was out, the gas would just escape and with no additional ignition spark, would simply dissipate with the valve open.

By the time I found out there was a fire extinguisher available, I didn't want to use at and risk rapid cooling encouraging a rupture and subsequent bad time.

But, at least the cross got to eat her partially hard booked egg remains.

Two lessons to take away from this-

1- always use the stabilizer legs, especially when pressurized, flammable gas is involved.

2- just because someone is "trained" it doesn't mean they will be any use when the thing they trained for happens.

But let's give thanks to the Almighty that the stabilizer legs are safe in the back of her car.   :facepalm:

Def

* 16837328951860.jpg (Filesize: 197.29 KB)

* 16837328953512.jpg (Filesize: 262.29 KB)

* 16837328954324.jpg (Filesize: 205.87 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Don't worry, the stabilizer legs are safe!
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2023, 08:46:11 PM
Glad everyone is OK and you didn't have an explosion!
Although explosions are fun :rofl:

Sent fra min M2002J9G via Tapatalk

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2023, 09:10:19 PM
Glad everyone is OK and you didn't have an explosion!
Although explosions are fun :rofl:

I have enjoyed too many explosions in close proximity to my fragile anatomy.

I really didn't want to experience another.

Did I mention this woman is also an engineer?

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

se Offline RF52

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: May 10, 2023, 11:15:58 PM
Yeah, beeing to close to explosions are less fun.
I've spent my whole working career with various vehicles and engineers stupid ideas of what is going to work for the lifetime of the vehicle only to need to be replaced or worked on more than the parts that you can actually reach so I'm not surprised :facepalm:

Engineers should have at least some practical experience with what they are working with.

Got sidetracked a bit, rant over :salute:

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2023, 01:44:09 AM
Glad everyone was safe, that's crazy and shows how quickly things can go wrong if we relax and let our guard down. Explosive materials and hazards should always be treated with respect

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: May 25, 2023, 07:38:08 AM
I usually scoff at the stabiliser legs if I'm using a larger canister, but if I'm using the dinky mini one that fits inside the pot I'll use the legs.

Something to do with physics and mass and tipping points and triangle of stability.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%