Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

A new shelf queen from Victorinox!

us Offline hsherzfeld

A new shelf queen from Victorinox!
on: May 16, 2023, 05:19:32 AM
https://www.victorinox.com/us/en/Products/Swiss-Army-Knives/Medium-Pocket-Knives/Off-White%E2%84%A2-c-o-Victorinox/p/1.3611.OW

I don't even know how to describe this thing...practically speaking, it looks like a Hiker with blades shaped by Neanderthals with stone tools. Either that, or it's trying to camouflage itself as an iceberg.

Fortunately, only 3,000 will be made, although that seems like 2,999 too many to me, especially at 500 USD each.

What do y'all think?

* Screenshot (2).jpg (Filesize: 79.05 KB)
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: A new shelf queen from Victorinox!
Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 01:42:56 PM
Interpretive art!

For a Design Museum, not a safe!

Saw this a while ago, and did not understand it then, and do not understand it today🧐

I first thought the shapes were representing elevation profiles or mountains.

One per order!  Time for second cup of coffee👍
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 03:06:41 PM
Interpretive art!

For a Design Museum, not a safe!

Saw this a while ago, and did not understand it then, and do not understand it today🧐

I first thought the shapes were representing elevation profiles or mountains.

One per order!  Time for second cup of coffee👍
The mountains thing would have made more sense, especially for a Swiss Army Knife.

On the plus side, the extra material gives users the opportunity to create their own custom shaped tool spines by grinding down the extra steel. I’ve always thought a SAK with a nice, wide clip blade would be awesome, but a normal SAK blade doesn’t have enough meat on it; this one does.

That awl would need to be ground down just to be functional.

As an engineer, I don’t like that deep notch in the spine of the saw; it’s a stress concentration point.
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 05:01:04 PM
We had a thread about this one (or, at least, some posts) some time ago.

:facepalm:

If Vic would just listen to us and started making 84mm scissors, instead of this type of LE, they'd make more money and attract a larger number of customers.

:dunno: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 06:11:39 AM
 :iagree:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

fr Offline rvlulu

Reply #5 on: May 20, 2023, 07:17:37 AM

As an engineer, I don’t like that deep notch in the spine of the saw; it’s a stress concentration point.
As a technicien,  :iagree:

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 07:43:57 AM
something something radius to reduce the stress point....

....are we saying they're *not* mountain profiles?

then what the smurf are they?

za Offline Max Stone

Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 12:37:48 PM
 This is just going too far imho. It’s one thing creating beautiful designs for the scales or using exotic tool material.  But this is just an abomination.  >:(
Education is a journey that starts when you realize that knowing a little about something opens the door to the universe.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #8 on: May 20, 2023, 12:45:19 PM
I don't care about the knife, but I am interested in a multi-dimensional safe zone.  :facepalm:

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 11:31:11 PM

....are we saying they're *not* mountain profiles?

then what the smurf are they?

"The silhouette of all the integrated single tools can be positioned to resemble the collaboration design motif, a fig leaf, alluding to the story of Adam and Eve and the concept of new beginnings. The design of the blades is representative of stones that have evolved into tools, and the rounded edges protrude to reflect this."

If I understand the marketing blurb, they're supposed to make the knife resemble a Neolithic stone tool when all the tools are closed. The black images on the scales seem to imply that as well.

Also, apparently, if the tools are set in certain positions, the whole thing looks like a fig leaf to evoke Adam and Eve. Not even kidding.  :think: :dunno:

Boomer Sooner!

ch Offline Etherealicer

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 11:29:50 AM
"The silhouette of all the integrated single tools can be positioned to resemble the collaboration design motif, a fig leaf, alluding to the story of Adam and Eve and the concept of new beginnings. The design of the blades is representative of stones that have evolved into tools, and the rounded edges protrude to reflect this."

If I understand the marketing blurb, they're supposed to make the knife resemble a Neolithic stone tool when all the tools are closed. The black images on the scales seem to imply that as well.

Also, apparently, if the tools are set in certain positions, the whole thing looks like a fig leaf to evoke Adam and Eve. Not even kidding.  :think: :dunno:
Wait, I thought it is supposed to look like a rock... the earliest tool man used?
It wouldn't be the internet without people complaining.

nl Offline EMZ

Reply #11 on: June 01, 2023, 09:12:07 AM
At first I found this knife stupid and ugly. But the more I think about it, the more I appreciate it.
Yes, it is a stupid design, and yes it is ugly, but hey! This is more a piece of art, than a tool! There's a filosophy behind it. It wasn't conceived as an EDC tool or pocket knife, no, it was designed as a piece of art, a piece of conversation. And as with all kind of arts, it wasn't designed to be good looking, beautiful or nice. This knife expresses something. It triggers fantasy, imagination, and discussion. And that's what art is all about.
It was Vic's way of 'thinking outside the box'.
I can appriciate it!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #12 on: June 01, 2023, 05:22:42 PM
At first I found this knife stupid and ugly. But the more I think about it, the more I appreciate it.
Yes, it is a stupid design, and yes it is ugly, but hey! This is more a piece of art, than a tool! There's a filosophy behind it. It wasn't conceived as an EDC tool or pocket knife, no, it was designed as a piece of art, a piece of conversation. And as with all kind of arts, it wasn't designed to be good looking, beautiful or nice. This knife expresses something. It triggers fantasy, imagination, and discussion. And that's what art is all about.
I can appriciate it!
Man, how I wish the ladies thought the same about me...

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

es Offline Gio_Luso

Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 07:01:08 PM
Covid side effects.  :rant:

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 11:29:12 PM
I hang my head in shame that Victorinox would produce such an abomination !! :-[  :-[
------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

au Offline Echotech

Reply #15 on: June 10, 2023, 08:04:14 AM
I can appriciate it!

:iagree: Kinda

TBH like many others I thought it was awful but like you I’ve come around to the idea that it was meant as a piece of art to trigger the imagination rather than a serious tool. I’d have preferred they bring back 84mm scissors, didn’t discontinue the manager and other things first but I kinda get it now

As a musician and art lover I can normally appreciate all sorts of whacky stuff but for some reason this brought out a negative reaction in me, how dare they mess with such a classic design thing I suppose

I do wonder if they haven’t lost their way a little recently, umpteen versions of the classic, watches, luggage etc but they’ve got to get a positive bottom line like any business so have to try to believe they know what they’re doing :think:

How about some interesting versions of the Rambler surely the best 58mm (late lamented manager aside) and did I (and everyone else) mention 84mm scissors  :rofl: I know, I know, they’ve moved on, but doing the tween challenge this month has really brought home how they’re missed

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD