Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Is can opener being cancelled on the new Companion Wood Swiss Spirit LE 2023?

comis · 20 · 1036

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Hi, all.

Just saw this pix on an online vendor website, and can't help but to notice there is no can opener on this new offering?  I can't tell from the picture, but will we be losing the 2d Phillip function from the old can opener?  But what did we gain in exchange?  Hope this is just one a one-off offering, I actually do like the can opener... ???

I did a search before posting but yield no result, hope this has not been discussed in the past.

hr Offline enki_ck

• Global Moderator
  • Absolute Zombie Club
  • I may get older but I refuse to grow up.

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Apparently, you still can use the tip of this new tool as a small SD.

Seems the can opener is going to be soon extinct, though...

:think: :think:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Hi, Chi. :waving:

It's a box cutter tool. You can read more about it here.

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,87566.0.html
Long time no see!  How are you doing?
Thanks to the link!  Need some catching up to do.

Apparently, you still can use the tip of this new tool as a small SD.

Seems the can opener is going to be soon extinct, though...

:think: :think:
Call me old fashion, but I still very much like the can opener, and it served so well as an impromptu Phillip!

* Darth_Vader_Noooo_Banner.jpg (Filesize: 88 KB)

us Offline marlowe221

Wait... are we thinking the can opener is going to be totally phased out?

I wasn't under that impression, though I could certainly be wrong! I thought the package opener was going to be in addition to the can opener and that some models would have the traditional can opener and others would have the new package opener...

No???

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
I really hope not. Yeah nowadays can opener is not as used commonly as before but it’s such a unique and useful function compared to a box cutter.

I mean, you could use your keys to open boxes, scissors for plastic clam packs, etc. May not be as convenient but not the end of the world.

Try opening a can without a can opener.

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
I've read thru the thread enki provided, and there was a good amount of discussion there about this new tool, along with a review or two to showcase this tool.

But personally, I think it's a little too late to bring out a box opener if it is just meant for COVID, and like many have said, there are no shortages of sharps on a SAK to get the job done, so a dedicated box opener seems like unnecessary redundancy. 

Meanwhile, the can opener is unique in its function, just like the corkscrew.  Losing it will be a shame.

If anything, I much rather to have a hook blade mod done to the can opener(see Felix Immler's yt for more).  That way we get to keep the can opener, and hook blade is just great for both box opening or bushcraft.  Win-win!

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
In a country where everyone tells me "all cans have ring pulls now", I use a SAK to open cans an average of about 4-5 times a week, usually.

Offline gadgetman7

And you never know when the zombie apocalypse will happen and you need to open 25 year old cans of food!

I too like the can opener and would rather just use another tool or use the Felix mod.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Hi Comis,

I don't think Vic is going to replace the can opener with the box cutter. I rather assume it will remain a niche tool, just like the combo tool in the Compact.

That being said, I have tried the box cutter and can say that it is a lot more versatile than one might think. Also, I am convinced that it has more functionality than a hook blade à la Felix Immler. So prepare to be pleasantly surprised once you try it out;-)

My only fear is that Vic might replace the small blade with a file in all models where the box cutter appears, which would be a shame because I definitely prefer the small blade over the (way to aggressive) file...

All the best,

Simon

us Offline marlowe221

I don't want to see the can opener go away, despite almost never using it to open an actual can, but I definitely DO want to see the package opener become a normal tool in the standard Cellidor product line, either in certain current models as a replacement or with the entry of entirely new models.

I would also love to see the nail file regularly available in the 91mm line though in some way or another.

us Offline Rich S

• OLD GEEZER CLUB
Marlowe221said:

"I would also love to see the nail file regularly available in the 91mm line though in some way or another."

I just "super glue" a metal nail file (cut down one of the wife's) to the obverse scale of my Tinker.

------------------
SAK Knives Matter
------------------

ca Offline Jazz

Seriously, all cans do NOT have rings, and if the can opener goes, I’m done with Swiss Army knives. I wish people wouldn’t say things like this unless they know it’s a fact.

gb Offline Tasky

My only fear is that Vic might replace the small blade with a file in all models where the box cutter appears, which would be a shame because I definitely prefer the small blade over the (way to aggressive) file...
The newer file is, but the textured surface one on the Sportsman is great.
I hope they make it an option, or at least include it on some 91mm models - It's one of the advantages Wenger had over Vic.

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

OMG! They made one limited edition knife with a new tool.... and the sky is falling!  I don't think anyone's future can opener is in much danger.  Besides, if you are reading this you already have knives with can openers coming out of your ears. :D

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
:rofl:

I can’t see the can opener being replaced on all models any time soon but a new model or two with something a little different is to be welcomed IMO

As Bunk says, pretty sure most of us have enough SAKs with can openers to keep us going a fair while….I could probably equip my entire street  :think:

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
If you are reading this you already have knives with can openers coming out of your ears. :D
More than likely. I know I do, and I've never had an SAK can opener wear out!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Hi Comis,

I don't think Vic is going to replace the can opener with the box cutter. I rather assume it will remain a niche tool, just like the combo tool in the Compact.

That being said, I have tried the box cutter and can say that it is a lot more versatile than one might think. Also, I am convinced that it has more functionality than a hook blade à la Felix Immler. So prepare to be pleasantly surprised once you try it out;-)

All the best,

Simon
I too am a big fan for the small blade, as much as I love having variety on the tools selection, if I have to choose between small blade or small file, it will always be the small blade for me two hands down.

OMG! They made one limited edition knife with a new tool.... and the sky is falling!  I don't think anyone's future can opener is in much danger.  Besides, if you are reading this you already have knives with can openers coming out of your ears. :D
:rofl:
I think the can opener has been around for the good 125+ year of the company history?  Even just the rumor of losing it probably will cause disturbance in the balance of force, especially amongst the devoted SAK fans on this board... :D

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
The newer file is, but the textured surface one on the Sportsman is great.

I agree. Still, I'm not a woman, so Vic scissors provide all the nail care I need. Therefore I prefer the small blade to either version of the file :multi:

gb Offline Tasky

I agree. Still, I'm not a woman, so Vic scissors provide all the nail care I need. Therefore I prefer the small blade to either version of the file :multi:
I'm not a woman either, but having a newborn, infant or even toddler changes your perspective on having rough-hewn nails... and provides a handy way to stop them inadvertently scratching their own delicate little faces to shreds.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $122.41
PayPal Fees: $6.85
Net Balance: $115.56
Below Goal: $184.44
Site Currency: USD
39%