Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Downsizing?

Kraken · 28 · 1579

us Offline Kraken

Downsizing?
on: May 18, 2023, 04:52:46 PM
   I’ve been carrying a 91 mm SAK in my pocket as part of my EDC for the better part of 7 years and for the last 5 of those I’ve also had a 58 mm on my keyring as a back up. I went through several models to find the right one for my particular day-to-day needs ( that’s part of the fun though, isn’t it ?) starting with a Huntsman, to a Super Tinker, to a Deluxe Tinker and then finally an Explorer. After a few years of faithful service, my needs changed and I swapped out the Explorer with a Climber. I found that I just didn’t really utilize the Philips driver or the mag layer as much as I used to and wanted to cut down the size and weight. But now I’m wondering if I even need the bulk of the Climber in my front pocket. The most common tools on it that I use are the scissors (which are indispensable to me on a SAK now), the small blade, the cap lifter and the toothpick.  I’m thinking about going back to my MiniChamp, either drop that in my front pocket in place of the Climber or swap out the Midnight Manager on my keyring with it. I figure I can cover all my needs with a MiniChamp and swap out the toothpick for the tweezers. I know I’ll lose a lot of the functionality of the full sized tool set, but most of the time I’m within reach of a dedicated tool for the job at hand. About the only time I’d pocket the 91mm is if I went someplace where that wouldn’t be possible. 

Has anyone else made the switch from a larger SAK to a 58mm? Did you stick with the smaller SAK or did you go back?
Semper Fortis

us Offline Enginears

Re: Downsizing?
Reply #1 on: May 18, 2023, 05:02:37 PM
I tried to downsize to a 74mm only. I went from a Spartan to Huntsman to Climber and at that point I thought a 74 would be enough. It ended up technically being enough but not really being 100% as appealing as a bigger toolset.

From there I tried a 2 layer with small blade, can opener, and scissors. It is kind of like a smurf version of a compact. And on and on to different models and mods.

I have heard a lot of people say the rambler or manager is the ultimate minimal EDC. I have tried some 58s and they are just too small for me to love.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: May 18, 2023, 05:07:55 PM
I carried a Explorer quite often but the idea of its capability for me was just that, the idea of it.  I used the scissors, large blade, mini driver, pen, and can opener mostly.  The mag glass is neat but not essential. 

I had always carried a Manager which was clutch so many times but blade wise it lacked reach I needed and wanted. 

Ideally a large blade ( 84mm is fine ), scissors, can opener, corkscrew which could house a mini driver would be perfect.  84mm Golfer you say? I just do not like that combo tool.  Well, thats probably too strong a statement.  I don't prefer it to the real thing. 

Lets get back to that in a sec.  I now have a Midnight Manager on my keychain and its wonderful.  I don't foresee a change from it.  The added bulk of the light is worth the penalty over the standard Manager for me. 

Ok back to the SAK dilemma.  I've tried a Cadet but no go.  I've tried a 84mm Tinker, Salesman, Recruit, and Golfer but non really scratch the itch. 

I am now carrying a Compact.  Yeah, that combo tool is not the cats pajamas for me but out in the wild I'm not opening a lot of cans.  So far so good.  Its those 91mm scissors that are the cats pjs so for now thats where I'm at. 

All the best on your journey.   
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline Kraken

Reply #3 on: May 18, 2023, 09:27:30 PM

I am now carrying a Compact.  Yeah, that combo tool is not the cats pajamas for me but out in the wild I'm not opening a lot of cans.  So far so good.  Its those 91mm scissors that are the cats pjs so for now thats where I'm at. 

All the best on your journey.   

I forgot that I have a Compact! I tried it for a few months after trying my Huntsman as my EDC. Maybe I'll revisit it based on my current needs. I think that it might just fit the bill. Thanks Aloha for jogging an old salt's memory!  :hatsoff:
Semper Fortis

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: May 18, 2023, 11:27:34 PM
 :salute:

I always wanted to try one and thankfully Barry sent me one.  Much appreciated kindness from Barry  :hatsoff:

Its a great SAK despite my love of the can opener vs combo tool.  There is no fault of the combo tool admittedly its me and my preference. 

I do love having the plus scales very much.  Can't really beat SAK scissors.  The main blade is perfect size for most anything I need.  Love the corkscrew vs phillps and I can stow the mini driver within so all the better.  Its not too wide nor too long being 91mm so I am carrying it and learning to push my opinion aside for sake of the Compacts shining features. 

Esse Quam Videri

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 01:09:26 AM
I went from 91s to 84s and finally 74mm.  I mostly carry an Executive now.  I still have plenty of larger knives and depending on what I'm doing, I supplement or replace the Executive with a 93 or 91 or 84 or 58 (or rarely a 111 or 130).

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #6 on: May 19, 2023, 06:22:32 AM
I could never carry just a 58mm. There are two reasons for that: a 74mm gives me the tools on a 58mm that I use most often and in a size that I find better to use, and sometimes I have a need for a wood saw. No more 58mm models for me unless they have the combo tool, and even that is something I use rarely. But it does come in clutch when you're trying to drive a #0 Phillips in a tight space.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #7 on: May 19, 2023, 03:45:21 PM
Another nice one to consider if you like smaller, thinner pocket knives is the Evolution 10 or 11.  They are like an 85mm Spartan or Tinker but with a nail file in place of the smaller blade.  The large blade has a very nice, fatter profile than the regular Vics. You only get one blade but it's a ^nice^ blade. They have this odd contour to the scales which grows on you.  Even though they are a bit thicker than flat scales they have a nice feel in the hand.  The Delemonts are OOP but you can still find them, in some cases at closeout prices.

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #8 on: May 19, 2023, 03:55:44 PM
Good call on Wenger.  There are some wonderful Wengers to choose from and the 85mm frame is nice. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 04:32:25 PM
 :cheers: my friend!  Glad you're liking it!
:salute:

I always wanted to try one and thankfully Barry sent me one.  Much appreciated kindness from Barry  :hatsoff:

Its a great SAK despite my love of the can opener vs combo tool.  There is no fault of the combo tool admittedly its me and my preference. 

I do love having the plus scales very much.  Can't really beat SAK scissors.  The main blade is perfect size for most anything I need.  Love the corkscrew vs phillps and I can stow the mini driver within so all the better.  Its not too wide nor too long being 91mm so I am carrying it and learning to push my opinion aside for sake of the Compacts shining features.
Barry

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 04:36:53 PM
 :iagree:  That's the problem I run into every time I try.  I'll carry a larger multi tool and never have to use it because the 58/65 mm will handle most of the things I run into.  Let me have just a keychain SAK and, sure enough, someone will need a pair of pliers, saw, etc.  It never fails  :facepalm:  A lot of the time I'll have the Alox Minichamp and an Opinel, but before the day ends I'll wind up putting on a bigger multi tool.  Just my experience.
+1 on that 58 mm Philips head Dan!
I could never carry just a 58mm. There are two reasons for that: a 74mm gives me the tools on a 58mm that I use most often and in a size that I find better to use, and sometimes I have a need for a wood saw. No more 58mm models for me unless they have the combo tool, and even that is something I use rarely. But it does come in clutch when you're trying to drive a #0 Phillips in a tight space.
Barry

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #11 on: May 19, 2023, 04:53:30 PM
 :hatsoff: Barry.

Its been a really good SAK.  Because I love carrying carbon and SS the Compact scratches the SS itch while my trads scratch my carbon.  Also, I really enjoy smaller trads so the larger blade has really been great. 

One Wenger that I appreciate quite a lot is my Security 14.  At work I carry a Cyclist.  Love the belly on Wenger main blades. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #12 on: May 19, 2023, 11:52:39 PM
85 and 84 main blades

* 014a.jpg (Filesize: 198 KB)

ca Offline Canuckdad

Reply #13 on: May 20, 2023, 12:16:46 AM
Im a city slicker, and work in an office , so for me the 84mm is perfect. Some times on the weekend I carry a 91mm but most days my Cadet or Sportsman is perfect for my EDC. I have never felt I needed a bigger SAK
Carry a Victorinox SAK folks,  because you dont know what life is about to throw at you.

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #14 on: May 20, 2023, 12:42:16 AM
 :like: I like those two also.  The cadet is a particular favorite.  You barely notice it in your pocket but the blade and tools are robust enough to be very useful. 
Im a city slicker, and work in an office , so for me the 84mm is perfect. Some times on the weekend I carry a 91mm but most days my Cadet or Sportsman is perfect for my EDC. I have never felt I needed a bigger SAK

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: May 20, 2023, 01:19:23 AM
I love the Wenger main blade too.  Actually I miss Wenger a lot, but that's a different subject  :facepalm:
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: May 20, 2023, 01:33:54 AM
The 58 mm punches above its weight and is of course infinitely better than nothing, but a 58 mm alone just doesn’t cut it for me.

Perhaps the heaviest cutting I’ve attempted with a 58 mm was a particularly stout plastic blister package.  The blade moved to what I considered an unhealthy angle with the handle, and the two-finger grip I’m able to obtain on knives of this size wasn’t very comfortable.  The 58 mm ultimately did get the job done without taking any obvious permanent damage, but I was left with the impression I’d abused both the SAK and my hand.  I have been hesitant to try cutting zip ties with a 58 mm, but this is something a primary knife ought to be able to handle IMO.

Another issue is the length.  Try slicing up an apple or a summer sausage, or even cutting up your steak, with a 58 mm.  You might ultimately succeed, but it would have been much quicker, easier, and cleaner with a longer blade.

I also insist on having a can opener, which of course isn’t available in the 58 mm line.  I don’t use it terribly regularly, and do have a standard can opener in my kitchen.  But it has really saved the day on more than one occasion when camping or vacationing.

Where the 58 mm really shines is as a compliment to a larger knife or MT.  As I type this, I have an alox Classic on my keys.  (Thinking about swapping it for either a Rambler or Jetsetter, but that’s a whole other thread.)  I don’t really use the knife blade on it, but I always have the small scissors, nail file, and small flat screwdriver available, regardless of what primary knife I’m carrying.

us Online Bunk Tuppins

Reply #17 on: May 20, 2023, 02:18:17 AM
The 58 mm punches above its weight and is of course infinitely better than nothing, but a 58 mm alone just doesn’t cut it for me.

Perhaps the heaviest cutting I’ve attempted with a 58 mm was a particularly stout plastic blister package.  The blade moved to what I considered an unhealthy angle with the handle, and the two-finger grip I’m able to obtain on knives of this size wasn’t very comfortable.  The 58 mm ultimately did get the job done without taking any obvious permanent damage, but I was left with the impression I’d abused both the SAK and my hand.  I have been hesitant to try cutting zip ties with a 58 mm, but this is something a primary knife ought to be able to handle IMO.

Another issue is the length.  Try slicing up an apple or a summer sausage, or even cutting up your steak, with a 58 mm.  You might ultimately succeed, but it would have been much quicker, easier, and cleaner with a longer blade.

I also insist on having a can opener, which of course isn’t available in the 58 mm line.  I don’t use it terribly regularly, and do have a standard can opener in my kitchen.  But it has really saved the day on more than one occasion when camping or vacationing.

Where the 58 mm really shines is as a compliment to a larger knife or MT.  As I type this, I have an alox Classic on my keys.  (Thinking about swapping it for either a Rambler or Jetsetter, but that’s a whole other thread.)  I don’t really use the knife blade on it, but I always have the small scissors, nail file, and small flat screwdriver available, regardless of what primary knife I’m carrying.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at.  In a pinch a silver alox Minichamp I have could go it alone for many situations but if I expect to do much cutting I like having a bigger knife.  The 74s are a compromise and if I expect some significant task I also take at least a Cadet.  The beauty of the 58s is you can carry a bigger two-layer SAK and still have a scissor and file on the 58.

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #18 on: May 20, 2023, 02:53:06 AM
My favorite is the Wenger 65mm Esquires and Pocket Tool Chests.  The size is just about right, and the PTC has a great array of tools.  I love my 58's, but 65 is a good deal better for me. 
Barry

us Offline Steelej1976

Reply #19 on: May 20, 2023, 02:55:38 AM
I downsized from the Super Tinker.  For me I like the 58mm scissors better then the 91mm.  I mostly use the scissors for a quick snip and not extended cutting so the 58 work great for that.  I do carry a Recruit though for the bigger blade and cap lifter\mini pry bar.  If you need the 91mm scissors then the Compact is probably the way to go

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #20 on: May 20, 2023, 04:25:30 AM
I've been on some random journeys with SAKs.  I believe I am still on a journey.  One thing is for sure, I wont be kicking my 58mm Midnight Manager out my daily carry any time soon.

I thought my Salesman would be perfect.  I thought a 84mm Golfer would be perfect.  I do really like my Security 14 a lot.  I am of the mind that there will be compromise somewhere so for now my Compact is what I'm going to stick with.  Paired with my Manager I feel very well equipped.  I don't mind the two scissors.  In the past I wouldn't have been keen on it.

You've got to carry what you think will work and see how it goes.       
Esse Quam Videri

us Online Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #21 on: May 20, 2023, 05:28:51 AM
I think you nailed it Aloha.  Even at the best of times, there's going to be some variation in your daily carry.  Even with a Swiss Champ there will be times it won't fit the bill, such as I find in the warmer weather.  It's the journey, not the destination.
Barry

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #22 on: May 20, 2023, 05:44:28 AM
+1.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #23 on: May 20, 2023, 06:42:27 AM
   I’ve been carrying a 91 mm SAK in my pocket as part of my EDC for the better part of 7 years and for the last 5 of those I’ve also had a 58 mm on my keyring as a back up. I went through several models to find the right one for my particular day-to-day needs ( that’s part of the fun though, isn’t it ?) starting with a Huntsman, to a Super Tinker, to a Deluxe Tinker and then finally an Explorer. After a few years of faithful service, my needs changed and I swapped out the Explorer with a Climber. I found that I just didn’t really utilize the Philips driver or the mag layer as much as I used to and wanted to cut down the size and weight. But now I’m wondering if I even need the bulk of the Climber in my front pocket. The most common tools on it that I use are the scissors (which are indispensable to me on a SAK now), the small blade, the cap lifter and the toothpick.  I’m thinking about going back to my MiniChamp, either drop that in my front pocket in place of the Climber or swap out the Midnight Manager on my keyring with it. I figure I can cover all my needs with a MiniChamp and swap out the toothpick for the tweezers. I know I’ll lose a lot of the functionality of the full sized tool set, but most of the time I’m within reach of a dedicated tool for the job at hand. About the only time I’d pocket the 91mm is if I went someplace where that wouldn’t be possible. 

Has anyone else made the switch from a larger SAK to a 58mm? Did you stick with the smaller SAK or did you go back?
I’ve thought about it, but the deciding factor for me has always been..what if I want to cut a sandwich or something similar in half.  Sad, but true.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline stuntzombie

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2023, 06:48:05 PM
I went from 91mm to 85mm. If there was a better variety of tools available, I think I could easily go to the 74mm. I have no problems carrying around a 58mm at home, but I prefer having something larger when I'm out and about.

If you're really worried about being able to cut a sandwich with a 58mm model, just cut everything in half before the sandwich is put together. Problem solved!

Offline dmattaponi

Reply #25 on: May 22, 2023, 06:19:26 AM
I went from 91mm to 85mm. If there was a better variety of tools available, I think I could easily go to the 74mm. I have no problems carrying around a 58mm at home, but I prefer having something larger when I'm out and about.

If you're really worried about being able to cut a sandwich with a 58mm model, just cut everything in half before the sandwich is put together. Problem solved!
Lol, That would work, but I’m thinking more of those impromptu times that I didn’t necessarily plan for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

Reply #26 on: May 22, 2023, 03:12:07 PM
Small SAKs just don’t cut it for me because the knife is just too short. See what I did there?

Next month I will try out a Tinker Small all month but no Scissors is lame.

That said I recently had a Compact Tinker built by a member of MTO and that might be the way.

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #27 on: May 23, 2023, 11:44:44 AM
The 58s are fantastic little models
But I nearly always want a bigger blade and stronger tools
Although they could be OK for a posh night out, or places where blades are frowned upon

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%