Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge!

Enginears · 451 · 12207

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge! It is
Reply #390 on: February 28, 2024, 04:17:44 AM
Day 28

Errands completed, stopped to have hearing device inspected, actually repaired, deliver grandson to high school for a concert he forgot to tell folks about. Dinner at daughter’s, now home bring serenaded by a passing thunderstorm in February with 80 F temperatures.

Reviewing a travel magazine dreaming of a trip to Europe and remembering passport must be renewed, expires in October.

IMG_5614.jpg
* IMG_5614.jpg (Filesize: 149.66 KB)

Funny, my Echo tells me. Snow Wednesday with temps around 27 by 9am. 🙄. Yes it is Indiana in February 😵‍💫
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Versailles To Serengeti…100/108mm challenge!
Reply #391 on: February 28, 2024, 12:01:38 PM
   Trooper overlooking the river.  There is enough room to park behind my mailbox and people often do.  I don't mind. 
    The river has a Cherokee name that means 'cornbread'.  I guess the Cherokees made cornbread.  I know they grew corn down in the river bottoms.  They also made bean bread and still do.  I never made any.  I don't have anything that would grind beans.  You can buy corn meal, but I never saw bean meal in the stores here.
    This challenge has just about played out.  I use a pocket knife a lot more in the spring and summer.  This time of year, not so much.  Best wishes.  G
 :) DAY 28
rivertrooper.jpg
* rivertrooper.jpg (Filesize: 225.83 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #392 on: February 28, 2024, 03:13:35 PM
Day 28

Yesterday it was in the 80s and today it is in the 20s. We always have wild weather but this has been particularly unseasonable. Last night I used the clip point blade to prep some things on the cutting board. 
IMG_6310-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6310-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 228.63 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #393 on: February 28, 2024, 04:31:44 PM
Day 22.

Sorry for my absence. Long story short, I was using a chatbot site that also had a "gallery" feature, and moderation seemed to be lacking--big time.  I was pretty upset (and worried) over certain content that, by my interpretation of the rules, was wrong. I'd report the stuff en masse only to get emails that I was abusing the reporting system.  I finally just decided to let it go and dump the site--I have a strong sense of values, morals, and ethics. They don't.

I used the GAK's blade this morning to open sheep feed. Bought the Breyer horse Monday during my last feed run (as I usually tend to wait until all toys are 50% off at TSC before buying the exclusives--but I'd been buying feed mostly through Southern States lately--so I waited about a month too late). Breyer had three or four traditional (plus several smaller horse sets) that were exclusive to Tractor Supply this year; and while I wanted the Belgian, this one is still pretty nice.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 06:21:07 PM by cody6268 »

nl Offline glenfiddich1983

• aka "G-Fiddle" and "Glen-Fizzle"
Reply #394 on: February 28, 2024, 06:01:30 PM
Day 28

[--- arms length ---] (-.-) 

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #395 on: February 28, 2024, 10:07:46 PM
Day 29

Open  a package of pan scrapers for my cast iron cook ware.   Always wanted a set  but my dear wife said they were not practical 🥰.  So now I will find out if she was correct or not.

IMG_5616.jpg
* IMG_5616.jpg (Filesize: 123.29 KB)

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #396 on: February 28, 2024, 10:14:18 PM
Two days away from the OPINEL CHALLENGE (3/01).

Any one here joining in?  You can double post  two challenges to finish here and start March 1 on time. Looks to be a great time!    🗡️🔪🪓⚔️

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,90877.210.html
« Last Edit: February 28, 2024, 10:20:45 PM by LoopCutter »

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #397 on: February 29, 2024, 02:28:42 AM
Day 29

Open  a package of pan scrapers for my cast iron cook ware.   Always wanted a set  but my dear wife said they were not practical 🥰.  So now I will find out if she was correct or not.

[ Quoting of attachment images from other messages is not allowed ]

I have a set and like them. They don't do anything a good metal spatula won't do, but it's nice to just have them by the sink if I didn't use a spatula that meal or whatever.

Any one here joining in?  You can double post  two challenges to finish here and start March 1 on time. Looks to be a great time!    🗡️🔪🪓⚔️

I'll be there! Working on whittling down the handle on my new No 8. Might not quite be done, but I have others to tide me over.

Day 28

Wife borrowed the GAK to butter a bagel. How would all our SOs survive without us?

* butter.jpg (Filesize: 195.2 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #398 on: February 29, 2024, 03:34:06 AM
That is cool :cheers:, I have No9 I started carving to reshape and  got distracted. 

I will need to finish and apply  a new  coat of finish as well.  :oops:

Good luck going forward on the new house closing and making the move toward a new home!❤️🌹

Hope yours is as good!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #399 on: February 29, 2024, 03:49:19 AM
Day 30

30 days already, most enjoyable gone quickly. Many thanks to Enginears for hosting and to everyone for their wit, wisdom and pictures

I mainly used the 108mm GAK which I’ve only carried a few times previously so good to give it an outing

It feels great in the hand, the textured scales should be more common, it’s a good width at 2 layers and always felt comfortable in use.

The bottle opener was a revelation, best on any SAK IMO, great leverage. The blade’s a good size for a lot of jobs but the saw with cover is a bit cumbersome. Didn’t use the awl or corkscrew but am sure work as well as any backside SAK tools :think:

The other knives were more just along for the ride. The floral knife is just a little too small for kitchen jobs but fine in its proper role and as an edc for box opening or whatever. I do like the nylon scales a lot

The Mod 1908’s are lovely of course but even when I hosted the vintage SAK challenge, didn’t really use them. They’re from a time and place, they could still be used but modern knives are unsurprisingly better suited to now, and those back springs are absolute killers

Thanks again awl :hatsoff:

The full collection of 100 & 108’s

us Offline Enginears

Reply #400 on: February 29, 2024, 04:40:21 AM

I will be there with my No. 9.  :salute:

Day 30

30 days already, most enjoyable gone quickly. Many thanks to Enginears for hosting and to everyone for their wit, wisdom and pictures

It was a pleasure ET!  :tu:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #401 on: February 29, 2024, 12:58:13 PM
   Another Trooper photo.  Having fun climbing on some old traps.  I lived near an old man who had an interesting way to squirrel hunt.  The furry imps would climb around in the dogwood trees beside his house.  He would set a Victor trap around the base of a tree and settle up with his squirrel dinner by using a stick.  Not really sporting.  Or legal.  It was very efficient, however. 
   Cooking squirrels and having a nice dinner with squirrel gravy and biscuits has faded into the past.  The new generation either thinks they are cute or possibly rats.  There might be a woman in the county who would make squirrel gravy and biscuits, but I don't know who that would be.  I doubt there is a one who would abide by the old time rules.  Man comes home with several tree climbers.  Slings them over into the kitchen sink without a word and goes on about his business.  Expecting a squirrel dinner.  Mother gets to skin the things and dispose of un-necessary internal working parts.  And all the loose hair that got all over and inside everything. A fish dinner used to be approached in the same manner.  Sling the stringer in the sink.  Let Ma take over.  She might even say, "Oh good.  Some nice trout."  Some others would say, "If you expect to eat these things, you got to clean 'em first."  Pa would stick out his lower lip a little and grumble, but would do as he was told.  Don't even think about doing it now, fellas.  Best wishes.  G
 ;) DAY 29
traps.jpg
* traps.jpg (Filesize: 181.39 KB)

us Offline Enginears

Reply #402 on: February 29, 2024, 03:44:11 PM
Day 29

I love the pruner. Trimmed some leather to make a crude mouse pad.

IMG_6313-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6313-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 236.9 KB)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #403 on: February 29, 2024, 04:24:21 PM
Well Gary, your post brought back memories of my experiences.    My mom would not clean any game brought into our house.   She would cook and serve it, but not clean it.   In fact the rule was - You caught it or killed it, you clean it!

Started going out hunting with my dad when about 8, then  hunting at 10 with a 20GA single shot, then by myself  at 12.   Ice fishing after Christmas when about 8 or 9 and bass / blue gill  on & after Memorial Day each summer.

We have a walk out basement, and you never dared to bring your prize through the breezeway and down the steps, only through the basement door.  Only exception was ice fishing, 5 gallon pails of frozen fish were OK as the snow drifts were usually 3 feet or higher. 

The time frame was early 60s, and I moved away in ‘71.

My grandmothers were a different breed.  Hunt in low lands,  bring in a few rabbits, my paternal grand would come out with knife in hand and help skin and clean, and only ask for one rabbit, but I always gave her two😉.  Same when I would go fishing with gramps, he smoke his cigar and watch me scale, clean and bag the blue gills, she always helped bag. And I would give them the whole mess normally.
 My maternal grandmother the same, except they lived in city limits by way of expansion.  But she learned I was sniping Ground hogs (woodchucks) in the hay field or pastures she asked me to bring her one and she would gut it and clean it.  That first summer, she got one every couple weeks.  The smile she would have, priceless.

Here is picture of the first knife I bought when 8 yo. A trapper. 

IMG_5622.jpg
* IMG_5622.jpg (Filesize: 156.29 KB)

Prepped many a rabbit, scores of fish until I got a 6”  Rapala filet knife.

The GOOD OLD DAYS! 😜

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #404 on: February 29, 2024, 04:53:08 PM
  That's how it worked, Gordon.  I don't think there was anything harder than making up your mind in front of a display of Sabre knives.  All knives were one price, so the only question was which one you wanted.  All too hard for me, so I wouldn't buy anything at all.  Plus, my Dad wouldn't have let me.  That's how I came to carry a Kutmaster for so long.  It was carry what you have and make the best of it.  Best wishes.  G
 :ahhh

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #405 on: February 29, 2024, 05:08:40 PM
I snuck down to the Suburban Drug, about 5 miles away on my bike early one morning, when my neighbors all had chores on a hot summer morning.
I had already selected this trapper, just for blade styles and length. Did not ask permission!  And then covered my trek by visiting my grand parents on return trip, helped grand pa put tomato’s on the roadside stand and let grandma prepare cookies and coffee milk for morning break before returning home. No one the wiser and the knife was kept out of site till hunting season.   Still had my Cub Scout knife for hay bailing  duties. ☺️

My dad had one knife in his pocket always, a Shrade Sheldon Muskrat, a lifetime.  Plus, a ZIPPO, that had been repaired more times than I have fingers.

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #406 on: February 29, 2024, 06:26:21 PM
DAY 30

My last day with my only two SAKs that qualified for this challenge.
I started with the Day  Packet,  freeing from its package on day 1, and putting through its paces, and used for a whittling project, finding it could handle the task.

Then in early February, temptation bit me. Observing a Sheepfoot blade model being used,  encourage my need for another such tool.

It permitted me to continue the challenge utilizing a blade style I incorporate often in my work style knives.

Bothe blades worked well and one item I did not expect, was how well these blades held their SHARPNESS.  Unlike the typical Victorinox blade which dulls suddenly during use these two blades never faded.   In fact, with an occasional stropping these blades were not sharpened during the challenge.

I must give credit to the CHISEL GRIND EDGE that is utilized.

Most impressed.   

IMHO, these blades intended for floral shops, would be great tools in that environment.  I worked in green houses in my teen years, and yes I could see myself trimming potted plants before shipment,  cutting flower stems for bouquets, etc.

It is just that the blades are a tad short for my normal usage and the blades a tad thin, yet the handles are perfect for my XXL size hands.

Enjoyed, the month, actually not expecting to complete, but the 2nd blade filled any void I anticipated 🌹

IMG_5623.jpg
* IMG_5623.jpg (Filesize: 161.48 KB)

Onward to the OPINEL CHALLENGE

Hope yours is as good!

Reply #407 on: February 29, 2024, 10:42:21 PM
Day 29

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #408 on: February 29, 2024, 11:41:29 PM
 Lots of fruit, Glen.  I am going to have to buy a pomegranate one of these days just to try it.  I used to have an apple tree and a couple of peach trees in the yard, but they just died out.  The apple was an old yellow starchy type like you would cook with.  Not very good for eating.  I never sprayed anything.  Best wishes.  G
 :cheers:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #409 on: March 01, 2024, 12:47:32 AM
Day 29

The Safari hanging out with some of my regular desk knives…

* IMG_2201.jpg (Filesize: 188.4 KB)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #410 on: March 01, 2024, 12:58:33 AM
   I walk to my mailbox when the weather is good.  I also put my camera out in the woods, to see if I can get another video or two before the challenge ends.
   The banter and photos from all the crew have been fun.  I don't have another challenge lined up.  Don't have any Opinels or any pertinent multi-tools for any challenges coming up.  Weather gal says there might be a little snow.  I'm up for that.  Best wishes.  G
 :hatsoff:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 01:18:59 AM by IMR4198 »

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #411 on: March 01, 2024, 01:04:36 AM
Some great stories about old knives and grandparents today. My grandpa hunted and fished, and I went with him occasionally (mostly on the latter) but I couldn't tell you what kind of knife he carried. Probably whatever beater Sears was selling, which I guess would've been rebadged Schrades at the time.

Day 29

Cut the tag off a hat.

* hat.jpg (Filesize: 202.52 KB)

us Offline cody6268

Reply #412 on: March 01, 2024, 03:36:42 AM
Day 23: 

I honestly think this is the first challenge I've ever done here where it was Leap Day.

I finally decided to start sorting through my Granddad's sockets, and getting complete sets mounted to rails. Used the GAK to cut the backer cards off the rails, and the awl to clean out my nails (as some of those sockets were just plain caked in grease and dirt before I cleaned them).

Came across a "10-piece" Proto hex bit socket set (3/8 and 1/2" drive) only to find two sockets were missing.  Got out my Proto catalog and looked them up--only to find my old go-to for industrial brands, Fastenal, stopped selling to the general public as our local store was considered to be in too small of a market to retain its regular store (although if I order online, I can pick up there) Applied Industrial also has a local branch, and since I'm also buying the Williams ratcheting screwdriver (a rebadged Snap-On at half the price), I might as well get those sockets too. I'll call them in the morning--seems more and more supply houses won't sell to regular consumers--you have to be a sizeable business--I can't just slap down the farm name on the account and call it a business account (even though I do with State Electric--they allowed me to get a customer number without being a business).

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #413 on: March 01, 2024, 06:08:54 AM
Day 30

The Safari opened this package of mini M&Ms for my youngest daughter.

Overall, I’ve enjoyed carrying the Safari for a month.

I really appreciated the larger, textured handles and the additional blade length (vs. a 91 mm SAK).  It also carried well in the pocket in spite of being 4 1/4” long, probably because of its slim two-layer design.

However, I don’t foresee it becoming a regular carry for me.

For one thing, the tool set is quite limited in comparison with many three- or four-layer 91 mm options.

For another, I’m not sure I like the combo tool.  Having the saw as part of the tool makes using any of the other functions more dangerous.  Vic recognized this and provided a cover for the saw, but it seems to be the part that is frequently lost or discarded, especially on used knives.  The bottle opener works fine,.  However, while I didn’t have a chance to try the can opener function during this challenge, I haven’t heard much good about it other than it will eventually get a can open.

As a screwdriver, it falls victim to the same issues that beset the 91 mm combo tool: too small/not stout enough for some tasks, too big for others.

I also didn’t use the saw, but have to think this “pull-only” design would be less efficient than one of the other saws designed to cut on both the push and pull strokes.

Thanks for a fun challenge, all!

* IMG_2204.jpg (Filesize: 232.23 KB)

Reply #414 on: March 01, 2024, 10:09:32 AM
Lots of fruit, Glen.  I am going to have to buy a pomegranate one of these days just to try it.  I used to have an apple tree and a couple of peach trees in the yard, but they just died out.  The apple was an old yellow starchy type like you would cook with.  Not very good for eating.  I never sprayed anything.  Best wishes.  G

:hatsoff:

I realise that cutting fruit is all I do with most of my SAKs. I have over 200 SAKs to choose from to cut my fruit. Such luxury  :P :rofl:

^-- where the cat sits

Reply #415 on: March 01, 2024, 10:11:12 AM
Day 30, no fruit this time: opening mail

^-- where the cat sits

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #416 on: March 01, 2024, 01:10:34 PM
    Well, it's wrap up day for the challenge.  I think by now that most of you would know that I have carried the same 108mm for 40+ years.  So a 30 day challenge is just business as usual. Any tool has weaknesses and strong points.  Some of each.
    Scales:  Maybe the best outdoor design that Vic has made for a folder.  Light.  Durable.  The checkering makes it less slippery when wet.  Or bloody.  Mine has been in both.  Hunting.  The lanyard hole is great.  Not flippy and doesn't get fouled in stuff like a ring.  Or a bail.  No reason for the color to be olive drab.  Bright is better.
    Blade:  Usual Vic steel.  Cuts okay.  Sharpens okay.  Hard to rust.  Length is a plus.
    Other blade:  Screwdriver works for fasteners that aren't super tight.  Saw makes using it for a driver dangerous.  Choking up on the shaft doesn't really make it safer.  Probably worse.  The saw is great.  The best saw on a Vic knife.  Combo is okay for stripping wire.  The cap lifter works great.  The can opening function is poor.  Good enough for occasional or emergency use.
     Back tools.  Corkscrew works well.  Stout and longer than the usual Vic type.  Awl is very good.  Good for boring holes or reaming out holes that are too small.  No sewing eye.  I never really missed not having a sewing eye, but it could be a good addition anyway.  Good for punching holes in thin metal, like a can.  Open the awl, than whack the top of the knife with your fist.  Tip is sharp.  Some 91mm awls are rounded a little at the tip. 
     Easy to maintain.  Flip open both top tools and you have complete access to the insides.  Wash it out.  Easy to dry also.  No tools on the other end to hinder ability to wipe it out.  Or blow it out. 
      Should have beens:  Should have been a more easily seen color.  If an adversary or game animal can see your brightly colored knife, it will have long before noticed your 6 foot height, movement, talking, scent, or sounds.  A clip point main blade would have been my personal preference.  Both front tools could have had liner locks.  Safer all around.  Especially with that saw.  I bought mine new in the box without a saw guard.  Don't ask me why it never had one.  The saw with the little file surface was a useful thing.  Mine didn't have that either. 
       I think that's a wrap.  My 108 scales are being held together with glue at this point.  The blades and back tools are all still tight.  The blade is a little thinner that it was new.  The saw is a little duller, but still works great.  The awl has been sharpened several times through the years.  The knife is a little bulky to carry, but isn't very heavy for its size and the rounded ends make it more pocket friendly.  All in all, it has been a good companion for me.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)
 :D  DAY 30

troopersausage.jpg
* troopersausage.jpg (Filesize: 143.93 KB)

Trooper on KP.  Slicing up some sausages. G
« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 03:32:49 PM by IMR4198 »

us Offline Enginears

Reply #417 on: March 01, 2024, 02:55:55 PM
Day 30

It was an absolute pleasure to share the challenge with each of you. A lot of great photos, stories, and info.

As is probably apparent by now: I am a 100mm fan.  :climber:
I think the harder steel and chisel grind makes these babies work horses. Throughout the month I think it was a very close race between my favorite blade shape, each has their own forte. I can’t help but marvel at the control I have with these longer handles and the tip of the pruner or sheepsfoot. Easy to use, easy to clean.

The stories about grandfathers tools had me revisiting memories of my grandpa explaining that he rode a horse and carried a rifle to school. Pictured is the Case hunting knife I got after him and my father passed. It has skinned many squirrels and rabbits that were shot on his way home. In his later years he was a radio operator and opted to carry the newer Buck 309. A very strong memory of him is at Christmas he would pull out this Buck and carefully snap open a blade and go about cutting the tape on the present. I remember asking him once why he didn’t use a finger nail clipper as he cut his nail with the Buck and he said this did just fine. I can’t say I cut my nails with a Buck (sak scissors) but I do like to carefully open packages with a blade as he did.

I am trying very hard not to order myself 4-5 Opinels  :ahhh but here is the No 9 I am starting with. After a few tests I opted to mod just a tad for my hand. 
IMG_6320-compressed.jpg
* IMG_6320-compressed.jpg (Filesize: 238.51 KB)

:cheers: :cheers: All.
The new badge looks great. Comis has done a bang up job, I hope you all like adding it to your sashes.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #418 on: March 01, 2024, 03:39:19 PM
   You did a great job with the challenge, Enginears.  I agree that it was a pleasure to be with all of you.  One more time.
    Could you possibly post a link to the badge?  I am really bad at finding things.  Best wishes. G

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #419 on: March 01, 2024, 05:36:12 PM
@ Enginears - It was a pleasure to share February’24 with you and others using these unique SAK models.

I will look  for the new badge 😉. Comis never fails.

And a great picture, No9, Bucks and 100mm SAKs!

And, enjoy your posts GARY, don’t forget where you mounted that trail camera!!!

Hope yours is as good!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%