Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Strange Victorinox Fisherman special model

us Offline stressmaster5000

• No Life Club
  • No PM's - just email please
on: July 27, 2012, 11:01:35 PM
Has this Fisherman model Victorinox been discussed or shown here before? Not sure I have ever seen one with the metal saw and the special split shot crimper scissors before. It has the clip pointed small blade, the special scissors but the rear tang stamp is blank with a normal 4 line front tang stamp.

spam Offline J Mackrel Jones

Re: Strange Victorinox Fisherman special model
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 11:15:31 PM
Your photo shows the sinker-splitting arc but not the sinker-crimping groove in the arm near the pivot.
Hadn't seen one with the metal saw before.  I have a blue Fisherman with the sinker-scissors, but with bail - before lanyard ring days.  ICanFixThat shows one in his collection over at Swiss Army Knights.
The work takes on a life unplanned
and the painter finds the painting directs the hand

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 12:05:42 AM
Your photo shows the sinker-splitting arc but not the sinker-crimping groove in the arm near the pivot.
Hadn't seen one with the metal saw before.  I have a blue Fisherman with the sinker-scissors, but with bail - before lanyard ring days.  ICanFixThat shows one in his collection over at Swiss Army Knights.
Can you show me a photo of that? The only ones I see are the same as this one here.

us Offline ColoSwiss

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 12:19:29 AM
It's the old Fisherman's (not Fisherman) knife. (F235 fmaU). Also sold at some point as the Angler. I have pictures of it  with both  avail and key ring. also versions with and without the fish emblem.

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 03:39:43 AM
Found this thread from before about this same knife in a different color.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33335.msg542852.html#msg542852

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 03:53:29 AM
Wayne,

Here are some shots of two versions. The original blue version has a bail, the shot splitter and crimper on the scissors, and a small clip blade. The later red version has a ring, no crimper or splitter, a small spear blade, and a differently shaped file.

Karl

IMG_1856.JPG
* IMG_1856.JPG (Filesize: 44.78 KB)
IMG_1857.JPG
* IMG_1857.JPG (Filesize: 44.37 KB)
IMG_1858.JPG
* IMG_1858.JPG (Filesize: 47.46 KB)
IMG_1859.JPG
* IMG_1859.JPG (Filesize: 49.08 KB)

Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 05:03:26 AM
A photo of the development of Vic scissors; the sinker-splitter and the crimper are visible on the blue knife, the groove and mating spring on the newest one -
Vic scissors.jpg
* Vic scissors.jpg (Filesize: 211.98 KB)

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 05:22:40 AM
This is just a Fisherman's knife, as Karl mentions - the standard F235 fmaU. The one typically seen with either blue or red scales and just the sea horse inlay. Victorinox made this knife from the early 60s (possibly earlier) until at least the early 80s. Like all of their knives, there isn't a single version of this - as the tools got updated, newer versions of the knife got updated tools.

So what do you have? Well, this is a F235 fmaU made around 1972-1973, that has (sadly) had it's original scales removed and replaced with modern day Fisherman scales. 1974 is the big transition date, where you see spear point pen blades, "Officier Suisse" stamps and 4 turn corkscrews appear. This knife was made just slightly before that - after the change to the more modern file and fish scaler with numbers, but still while they were making them with Victoria stamped main blades and clip point pen blade.

But - you say - there is no Victoria stamp! Nope, this is also typical of a 72/73 knife. For a brief period just before the big switch in 74, Victorinox seems to have dropped the rear "Victoria Officier Suisse" from the back of the blades. No clue why, but I have seen many and own several just like this. All with the same features - modern file, scaler w/ numbers, clip point pen. I bet if you measure the thickness of the main blade tang it will be 2.7mm, which is the same as all pre-1974 blades (i.e. the Victoria blades).

BTW, just from observation, the 2.7mm "plain back stamp" phase seems to pass quickly and there are many knives with newer features (4 turn corkscrews for example) that do have the "Victoria" stamp on them. Then, in 1974, Vic (according to their documents) switches to the thinner, 2.4mm blades. Now here where things get interesting/confusing.

I have/have seen many knives from the early 70s. Some NIB. The earliest 2.4mm blade knives seem to come in two flavors: plain back main + spear point pen blade, or "Officier Suisse" back/clip point pen. I have no idea which of these are the older of the two. Plain back 2.4mm blades are more common to see than plain back 2.7mm blades. Mid-late 70s they evolve into the common "Officier Suisse"/spear point pen that you see until the change in 2004.

us Offline jazzbass

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 05:54:36 AM
Found this thread from before about this same knife in a different color.

http://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,33335.msg542852.html#msg542852

Same model, but different version. edursr's knife is a F235 fmaU from what looks to be the early 1980s. His has a SS inlay vs the nickel-silver that 72 should have, thinner 2.4mm blade, spear point pen, and 4 turn corkscrew.

Here is what I think is an almost identical version of your knife, with the original scales:

us Offline ColoSwiss

Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 07:25:38 AM
This is just a Fisherman's knife, as Karl mentions - the standard F235 fmaU. The one typically seen with either blue or red scales and just the sea horse inlay. Victorinox made this knife from the early 60s (possibly earlier) until at least the early 80s. Like all of their knives, there isn't a single version of this - as the tools got updated, newer versions of the knife got updated tools.

So what do you have? Well, this is a F235 fmaU made around 1972-1973, that has (sadly) had it's original scales removed and replaced with modern day Fisherman scales. 1974 is the big transition date, where you see spear point pen blades, "Officier Suisse" stamps and 4 turn corkscrews appear. This knife was made just slightly before that - after the change to the more modern file and fish scaler with numbers, but still while they were making them with Victoria stamped main blades and clip point pen blade.

But - you say - there is no Victoria stamp! Nope, this is also typical of a 72/73 knife. For a brief period just before the big switch in 74, Victorinox seems to have dropped the rear "Victoria Officier Suisse" from the back of the blades. No clue why, but I have seen many and own several just like this. All with the same features - modern file, scaler w/ numbers, clip point pen. I bet if you measure the thickness of the main blade tang it will be 2.7mm, which is the same as all pre-1974 blades (i.e. the Victoria blades).

BTW, just from observation, the 2.7mm "plain back stamp" phase seems to pass quickly and there are many knives with newer features (4 turn corkscrews for example) that do have the "Victoria" stamp on them. Then, in 1974, Vic (according to their documents) switches to the thinner, 2.4mm blades. Now here where things get interesting/confusing.

I have/have seen many knives from the early 70s. Some NIB. The earliest 2.4mm blade knives seem to come in two flavors: plain back main + spear point pen blade, or "Officier Suisse" back/clip point pen. I have no idea which of these are the older of the two. Plain back 2.4mm blades are more common to see than plain back 2.7mm blades. Mid-late 70s they evolve into the common "Officier Suisse"/spear point pen that you see until the change in 2004.

I've occasionally joked about writing a SAK book. You definitely should.  :salute:

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 03:50:39 PM
Ditto that, jazzbass !

us Offline ICanFixThat

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 03:47:21 AM

I've occasionally joked about writing a SAK book. You definitely should.  :salute:

+1  We need more books.   Great Information!

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: January 14, 2017, 04:34:04 AM
Sorry to bring back this thread from the archives. Would this also be a fisherman's knife, angler or fisherman? A friend just got this and was asking for help to identify it.

From the pictures above, I'm assuming its dated between 83-85.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 04:52:10 AM by jaya_man »

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2017, 07:03:29 AM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

id Offline jaya_man

• Global Moderator

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #15 on: January 14, 2017, 04:59:52 PM
Nice!!!
Barry

us Offline SAK Guy

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • "Spending all of my money and time Oh, ho ho...'"
Reply #16 on: January 14, 2017, 08:00:46 PM
- Robert

Quo Fata Ferunt
"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." - Ten Bears

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 06:56:43 AM
Hi all,

Bumping this thread as it has some really great information from some amazing MTo members    :tu:   :D     :salute:   :tu:    :D    :salute: 

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 08:30:37 AM
Hi all,

Bumping this thread as it has some really great information from some amazing MTo members    :tu:   :D     :salute:   :tu:    :D    :salute:

I was just thinking this thread looked like classic mt.o with the pictures and deep explanations.... Then I saw the dates  ::)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $152.99
PayPal Fees: $8.68
Net Balance: $144.31
Below Goal: $155.69
Site Currency: USD
48%