Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fires near my city

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Fires near my city
on: May 29, 2023, 12:14:14 AM
One of the outlying regions of my city, Halifax has been burning all afternoon.  Many houses are burning or are lost already and at least two neighborhoods have been evacuated.

Even though it is many miles from me, the smoke is very heavy.

I sent my drone up and got this photo.

Def

* 16853118468790.jpg (Filesize: 104.52 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Fires near my city
Reply #1 on: May 29, 2023, 12:51:43 AM
From wildfires or ?

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: May 29, 2023, 01:18:12 AM
The cause hasn't been determined, but we have been having an extremely dry spring so far, coupled with a bit of a wind today (60km/hr) making it extremely difficult to control or contain.

The smoke is so thick, even at ground level that many people have been forced to try to walk out as visibility is too poor to try and drive.

Here is some video taken by someone trying to get home:

https://twitter.com/RhondaBrown5/status/1662937272625377284/mediaViewer?currentTweet=1662937272625377284&currentTweetUser=RhondaBrown5

This fire didn't exist around noon when we drove through there, and by 3pm neighborhoods were being evacuated.

I contacted a work colleague who lives in the area and he said it was hazy but he was too busy mowing to notice that one neighborhood over was engulfed in flames.   :facepalm:

There are very few firetruck left in or around the city as almost all of them have been called to attend this one.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Online SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: May 29, 2023, 05:49:28 AM
I hope they can get it under control soon !

us Online Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #4 on: May 29, 2023, 06:32:52 AM
That's not good. Hope they get them extinguished soon.
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

au Offline Echotech

Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 08:51:09 AM
 :iagree:

Saw this on the news here in Sydney Def, can definitely relate, terrible things out of control fires I well know
Hope the airs not too bad where you are, can be awful particularly for asthmatics

All the best mate, John

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 01:10:34 PM
 :iagree: 💯 Def!
I hope they can get it under control soon !
Barry

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 04:03:58 PM
Today at least the smoke is blowing away from where I work. 

The guys that were here yesterday had it pretty bad as the smoke was blowing right into our work area.

Unfortunately that wind is also causing problems as it is helping the fire to spread, and since it keeps shifting it means the fire keeps changing directions as well.

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #8 on: May 30, 2023, 12:47:05 AM
Saw this on the news today, and immediately thought of you. Stay safe and I hope the best for everyone.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #9 on: May 30, 2023, 05:02:06 AM
I was just reading about this, I hope they get it under control or better out! Word of caution Grant we had fires around us 2 years ago and thought nothing serious about it because little was said about it locally, nothing on radio or any local news.

Then BAM emergency call to evacuate. Took us over 2 hours to pack what we needed and leave and the traffic was HORRIBLE with no/zero alternate routes. Took us hours to go 30 miles. Be ready boss and be ready for bad congestion and little options and poor news.  God bless buddy.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: May 30, 2023, 12:03:06 PM
Here is a map showing you all that my house is fairly safe.  It has to burn through a lot more expensive places than mine before I have to worry!

Def

* 16854408451230.jpg (Filesize: 126.05 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 10:49:50 PM
More fires.

More evacuations coming.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 05:40:20 AM
What surprises me is how fast things can change. Winds, fire jumps, other fires; so many unexpected situations can happen. Just have a couple of “What If” plans for you, just in case..

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #13 on: May 31, 2023, 02:25:12 PM
Hope they manage to control them soon and there's no loss of lives.

:salute:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: June 01, 2023, 03:25:03 PM
The fires are still not under control, but we have some rain forecasted for the weekend.  That should help significantly.

In the meantime, if Mother Nature won't make it rain, these guys will!

As this beautiful machine flew overhead everyone on my work site went tools down, waving and cheering.

If you've ever been near a major fire, you know that this is one of the best things you will ever see.

And lucky DerekMac has gotten to play with them where he works!

Def

* 20230601_093408.jpg (Filesize: 102.42 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: June 02, 2023, 12:07:47 PM
We got a little bit of rain last night, which I'm sure helped, but I doubt it was enough to be that significant.

We are expecting heavier rain tonight and (hopefully) for the next few days.  I don't think I've ever been so happy for a rainy weekend!

Meanwhile, there have been fires in the city, including the destruction of a historical estate that was turned into a yacht club.

https://twitter.com/mpcyr/status/1664447538773065728?s=42&t=e72PotdPBWf-HSallrcR7w

Def

us Offline Adam5

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: June 04, 2023, 03:28:53 PM
We have had some good rain that has helped significantly.

The fire near Halifax is not out yet, but does appear to finally be contained.  That isn't the best news, but is absolutely the best news we can hope for.

Hopefully they make good progress on it so they can allocate more resources to the much bigger fire that has been burning much longer a hundred miles away.

Def

us Online Farmer X

Reply #18 on: June 05, 2023, 06:50:40 AM
 :iagree:

A wildfire recently started in the lower peninsula of Michigan (in what's commonly referred to as "up north"). Fortunately, it's largely contained by now. Seems to have been caused by a campfire. People need to be responsible with that sort of thing!
USN 2000-2006

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: June 05, 2023, 02:41:18 PM
Agreed.

I'm glad they got it under control.  It's terrifying to see how quickly these things spread and the utter devastation they create.

Ours ran for eight days.  Megan and I were in the area around noon and everything was normal, everyone was pleasant and happy- just another normal, sunny day.

By three pm the fire was so bad they were evacuating homes and blockading streets and neighborhoods.

I've always said how difficult survival here would be, as everything is always wet, so this incident should show you how dry of a spring we have had!

Def

ca Offline Chako

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Armed with camera and not afraid to use it.
Reply #20 on: June 06, 2023, 07:56:21 PM
We took another daytrip to Manitoulin Island on Saturday. Smoke was evident all the way there and back to the Sault. Made for some hazzy driving.
A little Leatherman information.

Leatherman series articles

us Offline Adam5

Reply #21 on: June 07, 2023, 12:21:28 AM
We have a Code Red air quality alert tonight and tomorrow in North Carolina due to the Canadian wildfires. It must be quite hazy around Nova Scotia and Quebec.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #22 on: June 07, 2023, 12:50:47 AM
Nova Scotia is much better now than it was.

The fires are not out yet, but at least the one next to Halifax is under control now.  A fair bit of rain has fallen since Friday and will continue for another couple of days, and that has helped a lot. 

Because of this, the air quality has also vastly improved.

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #23 on: June 07, 2023, 04:54:41 AM
Just took the dog out for the night, the Mrs and I have been noticing a funky smell while watching tv, we thought it was the kitty litter, yet when I went out I noticed it was a funky smell and the lights were kinda hazy, I looked on our town group and sure enough a few others have been noticing it also from a few towns around, so they are all saying that your wildfires smoke has reached us,, the weather app said that our air quality has been bad the past few days, I guess this is why..
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Online Farmer X

Reply #24 on: June 07, 2023, 06:25:40 AM
Yes, air quality is pretty bad here. But one of our local meteorologists said New York City currently has the seventh-worst air quality in the world.
USN 2000-2006

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: June 07, 2023, 02:13:31 PM
Just took the dog out for the night, the Mrs and I have been noticing a funky smell while watching tv, we thought it was the kitty litter, yet when I went out I noticed it was a funky smell and the lights were kinda hazy, I looked on our town group and sure enough a few others have been noticing it also from a few towns around, so they are all saying that your wildfires smoke has reached us,, the weather app said that our air quality has been bad the past few days, I guess this is why..
JR

There are fires everywhere.  It is truly terrifying.

There are a number of fires "visible" from space I'm your area too, according to NASA:

https://firms.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/map/#d:2023-06-06..2023-06-07,2023-06-06;@-83.0,43.9,6z

Looking at that map and seeing how much of the world is on fire is beyond terrifying.

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #26 on: June 19, 2023, 06:21:11 PM
Saw in the news that even we sent some firefighters to Canada to help. Hope things get under control soon.

:salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: June 19, 2023, 07:27:21 PM
The fires here are under control now, but there are a lot of wildfires across Canada.

On the opposite coast there is one area on fire that is also under a flash flood warning.

:facepalm:

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #28 on: June 29, 2023, 03:38:35 PM
The smoke from these fires reached Portugal yesterday, after passing by the Açores. This gives an idea of their dimension. Hope they manage to stop them soon.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #29 on: June 29, 2023, 04:37:58 PM
Down in the lower section of Michigan we hit a air quality alert of 218, when I took the dog out I needed a mask cause it really hit me, my throat and chest was kinda feeling it, we even had appointments and when we got home the Mrs was feeling it, we’ve been under alert since I think Monday, but I think it’s suppose to be over tonight at 12, the part that sucks is the temp has been great and no rain so it would have been perfect to keep the windows open to cool the house down but we’re bundled up not letting air in,,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%