Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

SOG Aegis MT

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
SOG Aegis MT
on: June 02, 2023, 03:10:44 AM
SOG Specialty Knives and Tools over the years has made an assortment of multitools for different trades and recreations. One area they dabbled in is fishing multitools. The now discontinued Blacktip was very popular with users and was a collaboration with West Marine. The Blacktip was based off the PowerAssist tool and included a fish scaler, a sharpening groove and some standard tools.

Years later SOG has decided to try their hand at another fishing tool. This time around it's not based off a current model, but a completely new design. The SOG Aegis MT takes it's name from their popular folding knife and the similarity ends there.

At first with a name like Aegis I expected something robust and formidable; after all the name means Zues' shield. Instead we have a rather cute and compact multitool with a very short list of onboard implements. The Aegis is a very small tool and fits in the palm of my hand. Comprised of stainless steel and plastic, it's very much not your typical from SOG. The materials make it very comfortable, tactile and less like a sinker. Plus the bright colors make it easy to spot if you drop it.

From the closed position the Aegis has only two tools available, a blade and tweezers. The blade has nothing to make it flashy or useful if one hand is busy. The knife is 1.9 inches long and is made of 440 stainless. The knife is opened via mail nick and held open by a pin that works like a back spring.
When opening or closing the blade you can feel the tension of the pin against the ramp on the tang. It seems strong enough to keep the blade open or closed, as long as one doesn't use it inappropriately.

The tweasers are pretty heavy duty and dwarf those found on a swiss army knife. The tweezers are accessed by pushing the yellow tab down towards the body and that helps push the tweasers upwards. There is no locking mechanism for the tweasers which is weird. They freely rotate and flop around when being used. If you cradle the tool in the palm of your hand you can control the tweasers pretty decent though. The tweasers come in handy for pulling apart a knot in your fishing line, or in my case pulling out thorns I got walking to the fishing hole.

To open the tool the handles rotate out with SOG's patented compound leverage. Opening is very smooth thanks to the gears and the handles on this model are spring assisted. The handles are very comfortable and contoured to fit your hand.

The pliers head is very slim and  includes needle nose style with a very long wire cutting surface. The long tapered head is great for fishing a hook lodged in a fishes mouth or crimping sinkers on your line. The wire cutter are listed as soft wire cutters only, you definitely won't be using this to cut fish hooks even with the compound leverage. These cutters are fine enough that they come in handy for snipping fishing line. The addition of scissors would have been nice but the cutters will work in a pinch.

Last implement on this tool is the bottle opener. This is one of the strangest places to put a bottle opener on a multitool.  Using the handles you grab the bottle cap under the pliers pivot and pull back and off it comes. It works; it's just an place. It doesn't work any worse than some others I've tried. If you want to open a cold one while fishing, this will certainly do the trick.

Overall the Aegis MT is a interesting tool. I love the pocketable size and it's simplicity. I do wish it had more fishing specific tools but it's not horrible with the tool layout is has. I think there's more capable fishing multitools out there but the Aegis does decent for it's size.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: SOG Aegis MT
Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 05:02:05 AM
Nice review, David  :salute:

I wasn't aware of the Aegis. It certainly does look interesting. But I am not certain if I would want to pay $50 for it. If the pliers could cut hard wire and if it had scissors then I would give it a closer look.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 01:11:44 PM
Absolutely, I feel it's a nice tool but falls short due to lack of implements. Quality is most certainly there. Would this be a release under the new owners?

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: June 03, 2023, 03:26:24 PM
I want to apologize, dang this all kinds of spelling and grammatical errors. Thank goodness I check things over before it goes final.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD