Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Horizontal multitool pouch carry

au Offline Valkie

Horizontal multitool pouch carry
on: July 04, 2023, 12:03:59 AM
Hi All;

Im looking for suggestions, advice, perceptions, experience or recommendations for carrying a pocket multitool in a horizontal pouch.

In the past, I have always carried pocket knives and tools in a standard Vertical sheath/ pouch.
That was up until recently when I was given a Leatherman Wave pouch.
It has the option of horizontal carry.
I found this a far preferable way to carry my tool, it was less bulky and more discrete.

Now I have a lovely Victornox Swiss Tool and it only has a vertical pouch.
You can get a swinging pouch that goes horizontal, but it rotates all over the place and I don't like it.

I recently purchased a leather pouch that's a horizontal wear, but its designed for the left hand mount (on the left hand side).
And I have been informed that this is the preferable way to wear horizontal knife pouches. (across the body)

My questions for all you wonderful people out there.
1) how many of you wear a horozontal pouch for your multitools/ knives?

2) Which side do you wear it on (left or right)?

3) what is the reason for your preference and does it work for you?

I would be most appreciative for any comments or answers, to me it just feels wrong to wear it on the left side.
But I have to admit it also feels a little awkward on the right side.

* pouch.jpg (Filesize: 244.75 KB)
tools is what defines us as humans

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Re: Horizontal multitool pouch carry
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 11:02:32 PM
Depending on how the method of belt attachment works...

I'm right-handed so the usual place would be on the left side, front of hip and facing right in a cross-draw position.
You could put it on the right hip front, facing right, and draw it backwards. Or flip it to face left, grip the tool with thumb and forefinger, snap the flap with the middle finger, then draw it across the body and into your hand. This looks kinda smooth.
Or you could wear it behind the right hip, facing right and draw it as described above. I'd do this if I was wearing it on the bike, and because it makes you look very smooth!
Reverse all this if your're left-handed, of course.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #2 on: July 05, 2023, 06:36:42 AM
Depending on how the method of belt attachment works...

I'm right-handed so the usual place would be on the left side, front of hip and facing right in a cross-draw position.
Tried that last night, didnt feel right and my big fat belly was in the way.

You could put it on the right hip front, facing right, and draw it backwards.
Trying that today, feels a bit better, but I worry about it falling out backwards.

Or flip it to face left, grip the tool with thumb and forefinger, snap the flap with the middle finger, then draw it across the body and into your hand. This looks kinda smooth.
Or you could wear it behind the right hip, facing right and draw it as described above. I'd do this if I was wearing it on the bike, and because it makes you look very smooth!
Reverse all this if your're left-handed, of course.
This is my preferable way (I think), just behind the hip and draw to the front.
This is the same side I put my vertical pouch and feels more natural.
I guess it just means that the little rolled edge is now on the bottom instead of the to (as it is supposed to be)

Thanks for you help and suggestions

* 20230705_143156.jpg (Filesize: 256.09 KB)

* 20230705_143202.jpg (Filesize: 240.94 KB)

au Offline Valkie

Reply #3 on: July 13, 2023, 03:47:35 AM
I have been wearing the pouch on my right side with the opening toward the back for a week now.
At first it felt a little unsecure, but as I get used to it, it feels more natural.
most of the time it seems to sit just forward of my right hip, and its comfortable there.

Accessing the tool is easy, the two clips easily undo as I pass my hand back, and then I reach into the pouch to grab the tool.
It actually feels more natural that with the unit facing forward.

Putting it back is a little more challenging, the tool slides nicely into the pouch, then I have to clip in the clips.
Easily managed one handed, but not quite as natural as removing it.

Ill keep testing and fiddling, trying new ways.
But the pouch is of excellent quality and it holds the tool well.

us Offline HarleyXJGuy

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 14, 2023, 04:11:49 AM
Recently discovered horizontal carry and like you feel it makes the tool much more comfortable to carry.

Less poking and more discreet.

Most of my horizontal sheaths are for Traditional knives and set up to be work on the left side in a cross draw fashion. That works well so far.

This sheath made to fit a Swisschamp is carried on the right side and using a little lanyard comes out easy. Very secure otherwise with no worries of it falling out.

au Offline Valkie

Reply #5 on: July 20, 2023, 03:48:07 AM
Recently discovered horizontal carry and like you feel it makes the tool much more comfortable to carry.

Less poking and more discreet.

Most of my horizontal sheaths are for Traditional knives and set up to be work on the left side in a cross draw fashion. That works well so far.

This sheath made to fit a Swisschamp is carried on the right side and using a little lanyard comes out easy. Very secure otherwise with no worries of it falling out.

(Image removed from quote.)

I really like that, very nice.

My leatherworking skills are, at best, poor.

But I may have to see if I can copy that one myself for the swiss tool.

very nice

se Offline kottskrapa

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: December 28, 2023, 07:02:39 PM
I'm giving this a bump

When carrying plierbased MT I do prefer horizontal sheath that's slightly tilted, I carry it 9ny right side just above the front pocket.

I have made them to match what I want and really liking it, no poking, no snagging, fast deployment and you can't see it under my shirt.

I might have pictures tucked away somewhere

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD