Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Can we play together?

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Can we play together?
on: July 04, 2023, 08:29:23 PM
         I have been looking in on this Multi-Tool site for a few months now, but never took the next step to become a part of this journey.  In fact, I am not at all sure that I will post this introduction.....?  Maybe.
         I saw the new visitor's introduction area after I had been visiting the Swiss Army portion and checking out the Cheap and Cheerful and the Leatherman party for quite a while.  I saw where many of the long time members would welcome someone new with no reservations.  Newcomers from all over.  Same with the people saying welcome.  From all over too.  That is really quite novel. 
        New members are often shunned or automatically pushed into a lower tier on discussion forums.  You have all seen that.  Not here.  I love that.  Also the members don't quarrel with each other, or try to put someone down.  Nobody has anything nasty to say if all the newbie has is his Dad's old Buck knife.  Likewise nobody seems to be jealous when another member shows a photo of 40 multi-tools of some sort or other. 
        Nobody feels self-conscious about talking about sick kids, or work, or being stressed out, or being laid up with sciatica or recovering from surgery.  Taking the kids outdoors or fishing, family outings, photos of nature, plans for buying some thing or other, opening toys for the youngsters, or sitting quietly reading your scripture studies.  Nobody gives anybody any grief.  No smart comments.  Nobody leaves feeling that they have been put down.  Where do people like this come from?  Some members show their watches, or some old tractors, while another shows beautiful exotic beer bottles next to his bicycle shed.  I love it.   
        And the pets.....  Fisher, and Bella, and Harald, and all the others.  The cats and canines take part in picking out the SAK for today's challenge.  Or have their pictures taken with some sort of tool or other.  One member opens a pack of cheese or candy while another buys potato slices for She Who Must Be Obeyed.  Barbecue or tightening a screw.  Dog food for the sheepies or fixing computer equipment.  It's all fair game.  And fun.  Everybody is just talking to friends.  Really.  Spain, Portugal, Australia, Michigan, England, Czech Republic, Georgia, Japan, wherever.  Everybody is on the same page.  Everybody gets along.   
       Sure you can learn about stuff on this site.  Most everybody is some sort of tool junkie or other.  The equipment is interesting.  I get that.  What really makes the difference to me is the people.  I never, never, never ever have seen a place where one member sends a knife or something to another (that they probably have never met) as a gift.  Routinely.  Or the Magical Mystery Tour or whatever its called of the traveling gift box.  Take anything you like, it's yours.  Leave something for someone else to enjoy.  That blows my little 40 watt mind. 
        Guys and gals alike talking and taking pictures and enjoying each other.  Special stuff there people.  Fellowship is so rare.  Relish it.  Cherish the moments.  Can it last?  What do I know? 
         Anyway, this is my overly long say hello post.  I might become a regular part of this forum.  I might not.  If I do, you have my word that I will do my best to fit in and try to perform up to the standards that you have been keeping.
Best wishes,
Gary

spam Offline comis

• Zombie Apprentice
Re: Can we play together?
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2023, 08:34:44 PM
Welcome onboard, Gary!  :cheers:

no Offline nakken

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: July 04, 2023, 08:47:02 PM
That is what makes this site great. Welcome to the forum, Gary :tu:

us Offline LoopCutter

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2023, 08:55:23 PM
Welcome Gary! (From NE Indiana btw)😉

You just about summed it up very well!

Not to put you on the spot, please share with us, ABOUT YOU!
 :drink:
 :like:
If I start and end the day above ground, it is a good day!

Hope yours is as good!

A SMART man always knows what to say!
   A WISE man knows whether or not to say it!!!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2023, 09:10:40 PM
Another warm welcome from one of the greats.  I would be happy to write something about myself.  Perhaps I will write it in a boring post about.... gee, I don't know.... maybe about Swiss Army Knives I have known.  I live in Western North Carolina.  Up in the mountains near a small town.  I live in an old farm house near the Cullasaja River.  Cherokee word.  Means corn bread.  You say it like Cull (short u) Uh Say Ja (with a hard J sound).  Slightly accented on the first and third syllables.  I often find stone age Cherokee Swiss Army Knife equivalents in my driveway or yard.  Just about any spot near a river here has that sort of thing.  Best wishes.
Gary (IMR)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: July 04, 2023, 09:25:46 PM
You know I actually wrote replies to the other celebrated members who welcomed me to the forum.  Comis and Nakken.  The replies were humble and gracious, but for some reason none of them got posted.  I probably pushed when I was supposed to pull or something.  Anyway, thank you for your warm greetings Comis and Nakken.  I could repeat what I said to each of you, but aside from it being humble and gracious, I can't remember what I wrote exactly.  Best wishes.
Gary (IMR)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 09:29:27 PM
Post number 5.  Maybe now I'm out of Multi-tool probation.  I suppose I could send a PM now. 
Gary (IMR)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 10:03:40 PM
 :like:  Highlands of North Carolina!

Stunning area!

You are going to fit in very well, you know us very well, definitely been lurking for a while!

Look forward to you sharing your interest!

:popcorn:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: July 04, 2023, 10:21:31 PM
You must be psychic.  The town of Highlands is just up the Cullasaja River about 15 miles from me.  I might try to post a photo.  Let's see how this goes.....  If it works, then it is a photo taken from the public library about 3 miles from my house.  Cell phone photo, of course, so not very good.  Best wishes as always.
Gary (IMR)
0729201052-01.jpg
* 0729201052-01.jpg (Filesize: 146.81 KB)

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #9 on: July 04, 2023, 10:44:07 PM
Hi Gary!

I find it doesn't matter where these people come from... only that they find their way here! ;)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: July 04, 2023, 10:54:06 PM
It feels like home already, Tasky.  I have taken my shoes off and propped my feet even as we speak.  I had already checked out Comis' web site a while back.  Never had a pen pal from the UK or from Norway like Nakken, but I feel blessed.  I will have to write some knife stuff soon.  Got to earn my keep here, right? 
Best wishes.
Gary (IMR)

us Offline LoopCutter

Reply #11 on: July 04, 2023, 11:15:17 PM
 :assimilate: :assimilate: :2tu:

Another one :like:

Hope yours is as good!

us Offline Adam5

Reply #12 on: July 05, 2023, 01:03:16 AM
Hi Gary! Great to have you here  :cheers:

us Offline Aloha

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #13 on: July 05, 2023, 01:32:06 AM
Hi Gary!

I find it doesn't matter where these people come from... only that they find their way here! ;)

:iagree:

We came because of whatever but stayed for the friendships. 

Welcome to MTO. 
Esse Quam Videri

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #14 on: July 05, 2023, 02:08:23 AM
Welcome aboard, Gary!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #15 on: July 05, 2023, 02:12:32 AM
Thank you BP and Aloha.  Came for the hobby.  Stay for the fellowship.  May that never change.  Best wishes,
Gary(IMR)

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #16 on: July 05, 2023, 02:15:40 AM
I just saw the Adam5 welcome post.  Just the friendliest bunch of tool addicts in the world.  Best wishes, Adam.
Gary (IMR)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #17 on: July 05, 2023, 04:42:04 AM
Welcome aboard, Gary! :cheers:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #18 on: July 05, 2023, 05:44:03 AM
Hello and welcome aboard !  :cheers:

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #19 on: July 05, 2023, 06:26:13 AM
Gary...it is great to have you on board. This is a nice place on the web to be. Lots of great people that are super knowledgeable. L9oking forward to more of your posts.

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: July 05, 2023, 11:53:48 AM
Thank you ToolJunkie, Steve C and Farmer.  Maybe I can come up with a post or two that won't bore everyone stiff.  Lots of very hard rain yestiddy.  This is coming off of one of the coolest and rainiest June months I can remember.  Every morning it was put on a sweatshirt.  It doesn't stay hot up here in the mountains.  Peak temps might be pretty high, but it always cools down at night and warms up slowly.  Best wishes.
Gary (IMR)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: July 05, 2023, 12:05:20 PM
Great to have you here and welcome to :MTO:  :woohoo:

This place is thankfully how you described it in the first post and truly as positive of a place as I have found :salute:

So many people from so many places and we have all gotten along for many years :woohoo: I have watched this place from way back in 2008 and it was the same then even :like: :like:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: July 05, 2023, 12:12:02 PM
Great to hear from you Poncho.  It would be nice if other forums were like this.  Unfortunately they are not.  I am sure everyone out there knows what I mean.  I will try my best not to mess it up.  Best wishes. IMR

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #23 on: July 05, 2023, 05:30:30 PM
Welcome aboard, IMR4198!

:cheers: :salute:

We just had a meeting and guess what...

Show content

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: July 05, 2023, 07:30:12 PM
Fellow sufferer of the same incurable addiction, I salute you and the committee.  It is indeed an honor to be in the same cell block with someone who has such a cool avatar.  Best wishes. Gary(IMR)

gb Offline SurgeUk

• Global Moderator
Reply #25 on: July 05, 2023, 08:41:23 PM
Welcome to MTO Gary  :cheers:

This is the best forum. Period. Nobody judges peoples choices as each are different based upon personal needs and, or, either country or region based restrictions.

I'm in the UK* and we have many restrictions (knife related) compared to those in the US (but not always if you take account of local/city restrictions)

I hope you do stick around, I think you'll love it here  ;) That said, if you choose not to, you'll always be welcomed back  :D
*Just don't mention anything that goes bang  :twak: :ahhh

They don't like it up 'em!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: July 05, 2023, 10:27:32 PM
       I guess that whether I stay or not is a little up in the air.  I like the people.  I don't need to get involved in another forum.  Of any sort.  Any sort of social media takes up an enormous amount of time and occupies a lot of anyone's attention.  I spent way too much of both yesterday when I started out.  Not anyone's fault here.  It is my own doing. 
       I was a little like someone who hadn't had a drink of water for two days and found himself beside a well.  I drank so much that I got sick.  Not the water's fault.  Not the forum's fault.  Not the fault of any of the members here.  Mine. 
       So there it is.  I am proud to have been a member of what I think is still the most remarkable forum on the internet.  With the best most welcoming people.  Either way it is still best wishes.
Gary (IMR)

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #27 on: July 06, 2023, 07:49:50 AM
Also a warm welcome from me Gary  :hatsoff:

Take your time... just go with the flow... and hold on to your wallet  :D

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: July 06, 2023, 11:27:32 AM
     Great advice from a true sage of the multi tool.  I overdid it on day one.  I posted about 25 things and only by restraining myself a little avoided making 25 more.  Oh, and I did buy a few knives on my first day.  I think there was.....   I'm not sure, maybe ten or might have been eleven.  I did keep myself from buying another six though, so I count that as a victory.  I really wanted to buy some more.  Best wishes. Gary

au Offline Echotech

Reply #29 on: July 06, 2023, 12:23:48 PM
Welcome Gary, everything you’ve observed  :iagree:
You have a nice poetic way with words, I’ll look forward to more of your posts….now show us some knives  :rofl:

:cheers:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD