Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Nitecore MH10S Long-Term Review

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Nitecore MH10S Long-Term Review
on: July 09, 2023, 07:02:11 AM
I’ve been carrying the MH10S pretty much daily for more than six months now, and have had the opportunity to take it on several camping trips.  Overall, I’m fairly happy with it.  Here are my thoughts to date:

Pros
- While certainly larger than some would want to EDC, it is pretty compact for a 21700 flashlight.
- Water and impact resistant (should be table stakes for any flashlight these days, but hey)
- Simple and intuitive UI - This is important, as I don’t want to be out camping or working after dark and have the flashlight accidentally get stuck in some programming mode or submenu that I can’t navigate out of without help from the manual.
- Built in charging port - I love this feature, as I don’t need a separate battery charger and I don’t have to take the battery out to charge it.  Just a few strategically stashed USB-C cables and I’m good to go.
- Low battery indicator (another feature I feel should be standard on virtually all modern flashlights)
- The turbo and high modes (rated at 1800 and 1050 lumens, respectively) are good for searching, trying to see things at a distance, and just showing off to your friends.
- Depending on how well adjusted my eyes are to the dark, I usually find either the mid or low mode (rated at 300 and 50 lumens, respectively) to be good for general outdoor nighttime navigation.
- The 1 lumen ultralow mode is enough light for most close-up tasks with eyes that are adjusted to the dark, but can generally be used in a room or tent where others are sleeping without disturbing them.  It’s a good brightness when out camping and nature calls in the middle of the night.  And with a rated runtime of 1000 hours, it can be used as a nightlight on weeklong camping trips without significantly draining the battery.
- Lanyard is serviceable, and hasn’t broken yet, but otherwise not particularly noteworthy.  Lanyards (or at least attachment points) are another feature that all modern lights should have.
- Tail stand capability may not be an issue for some, but I’ve found it useful often enough to appreciate it.
- I admit to being a longtime critic of strobe mode, but I have found a use for it.  When crossing or walking along a road at night (or sometimes even in a dark parking lot), I’ll activate the strobe mode to make me more visible to drivers.  (I keep the light pointed at the ground when I do this so as not to blind anyone.)

Cons:
- The button can sometimes take a bit longer than ideal to locate in the dark/by feel.  A design that had more tactile landmarks would be an improvement.  This also brings me to the next con…
- The pocket clip works well enough for clipping the light to a pocket, and it is nice that it can be rotated to any position (head down only) or removed if desired.  I would generally like to keep the pocket clip pointed at the button to help my fingers find it. So what’s the problem?  The pocket clip is too loose on the light, and it takes so little force to rotate it that I often find it has gotten rotated out of the desired position simply from riding around in my pocket.  Definitely an improvement opportunity.
- There is no lockout function, and accidental in-pocket activation has sometimes been a problem.  I’ve mitigated this by checking the light once or twice a day to make sure it is off, and generally keeping it set to ultralow mode when in my pocket (so it doesn’t use much energy if it does accidentally get turned on).
- For some unknown reason, the included battery is a 4000 mAh instead of a 5000 mAh.  Hasn’t been a major problem for me, but kinda lame.

P.S.  It appears these are discontinued, so grab one from existing stock now if you want one.

* IMG_1411.jpg (Filesize: 228.73 KB)

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Re: Nitecore MH10S Long-Term Review
Reply #1 on: July 09, 2023, 07:03:15 AM
Crap, meant to put this in the Flashlight Forum.  If one of the mods could move it, that would be great!

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%