Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rexford RUT V5

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Rexford RUT V5
on: July 25, 2023, 03:07:52 AM
The Rexford RUT has been around since  2011 and has been used and loved by many. Todd designed the RUT not as a replacement for your pocket knife, but more as a companion for it. Todd says that he abuses razor blades and uses them like they are free. He wanted a small blade that you could get in those hard to reach places, and not worry about getting it nasty. Using a blade that's small like a razor may be all you need, even though popping open your knife is satisfying it can be overkill, plus the smaller blade can be used in public without raising eyebrows.

The RUT was always designed to be as small and as thin as possible, and able to hang from a keychain if you wanted. From there we needed it to have a flathead screwdriver that doubled as a small pry bar, a bottle opener, and a can opener.  The RUT has gone through many design changes over the years and the one we are taking a look at today is version 5.

The main body is grade 5 (6al4v) titanium, that's 100% certified American. This is a huge deal, so much of the titanium used in the cutlery world is imported, and there's variables in the quality of the material. The total length of the tool is 3.43" (8.712 cm), at it's widest point it's 1.00" (2.54 cm), and weights only 0.9 oz. On the pry end we have a light duty pry bar that doubles as a bottle/can opener. I've used the pry end to separate frozen food that was stuck together, help pulled the tab up on a soda can, and other mundane daily tasks. I really like the milling that's at the base of the pry, I feel when using the pry it gives a little extra grip. The hex hole in the end of the pry didn't see any action, it'll fit a 1/4" hex bit but I chose to attach a lanyard instead. The bottle opener works well, there's enough of a hook to grab under the bottle cap, and I never had to try more than once to get it to work.

At the business end of the RUT is a box blade holder. Like the rest of the tool, there been numerous design changes, the blade holder has been a tricky one for Todd. The changes are mainly due to razor blades not being standardized on sizing. The main razor blade players all change sizes randomly, usually when they want to obsolete old holders is his guess. You can also see when they change a die as that changes the sizes drastically, or when one labeled brand changes manufacturers. Sizing can vary as much as .110" in length, .008" in thickness, and he's seen .125" in height. Todd tries to fit as many of the sizes as possible, but of course some outliers are just too out of the norm.

To operate the blade you pinch the RUT between your middle finger and thumb. I use my index to manipulate the release and keep my thumb near the bottom of the tool. Pushing the release with your index causes the lock bar to push the pin over that holds the razor in place. While pushing the release button you pull the razor out and it will lock when the pin falls into one of the notches on razor blade. Retracting the blade is as simple as retrieving it, simply push the button and slide the razor back in. The blade that came with my RUT only had two noches, I'm currently using a 4 notch one and it has more wiggle than the one that came with it. This is just one of those variables that Todd tries to adjust for, it's just so tricky to make everything operate with consistency.

I've found the RUT easy to use, and I've used it for things I wouldn't put my knife through. I have found that I use it more in public than I do my 3 1/2 inch pocket blade. I like in Georgia and people don't usually bat an eye at someone whipping open a pocket knife, I however don't like to draw attention to myself.

They say imitation is the greatest form of flattery, the RUT has been copied and reimagined so many times, yet there's nothing like the original. It's a great addition to anyone's carry, and I appreciate Todd's dedication and attention to detail.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD