Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set

DIAMOND · 101 · 5949

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
This is the start of my seven day challenge (that might turn into the thirty day challenge, we'll see) to post a picture of an off-brand multitool.

My first impression when I picked this set up a few years ago (the package came with a large and a small MT) from Home Depot was that they looked pretty nice. I only paid around $5 for the pair.

Upon first opening them to reveal the pliers, I was pleasantly surprised. They looked good and seemed to function as most MT pliers do. But, upon baring down to get a good hold of a nut to tighten it on a gate, my impression quickly changed. The pain it produced in the palm of my hand was ridiculous.

Well, I figured maybe the other tools might be useful, even if I can't clench down very tightly. Nope, they are just horrible. The phillips driver is all rounded. You know the type...they slip right off the head of the screw.

And it just got worse as I made my way through each tool.

So, we'll see if they can bring some joy to me by earning an award here on multitool.org. Only time will tell.

Only six more posts to my first level award. This might hurt more than the tools themselves.  :-\

* offbrandMT01.jpg (Filesize: 42.9 KB)
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline Adam5

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set
Reply #1 on: July 27, 2023, 01:03:05 AM

Good luck with the challenge  :tu:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #2 on: July 27, 2023, 01:10:01 AM
Ouch.

That being said, I did pick up a couple of the Gerber Suspension NXT's when Home Depot had them on for about $20.00, half what they are these days.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2023, 01:18:07 AM by PitCarver »
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #3 on: July 27, 2023, 02:08:26 AM
Thanks all.

And that's a good way to buy those NXT's. I've got one and it out performs my Home Depot ones in many many ways!

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: July 27, 2023, 03:35:13 AM
Goodie! Nothing like a piece of smurf challenge!  :popcorn: Good luck with your hand, and thanks for taking one for the team. :hatsoff:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #5 on: July 27, 2023, 03:58:46 PM
Day 2

I thought I would show you the tool set for these two "incredible" multitools.

Large MT
. Pliers - they are spring loaded, which is a plus for me. Also, the wire cutters actually cut wire...well, a paperclip, but it was made of wire.
. Knife - I managed to get a pretty decent edge on it. Who knows how long it will hold said edge, but it cuts well enough.
. Small slotted screw driver - I actually like a tiny flat blade screw driver. But this one is sooooo polished and rounded that there is no way it will stay in the slot of a screw. I should spend some time on a honing stone, or with the dremel, but I really don't think these are worth the time and effort.
. Medium slotted screw driver - about the same as the small one. This one might actually work without modding the tip, but it still could use some minor adjustments.
. Large slotted screw driver/bottle opener - This one has too obtuse of an angle. It would definitely slip out of the slot. Never mind on the modding of any of these slotted drivers. I'll just leave them as they are and point and make fun of them. The bottle opener works just fine. I tested it on a bottle of Topo Chico Mineral Water. Fail! It took too attempts as the first one lifted the edge of the bottle top, but then slipped off. Fail! Fail! Fail! But, the mineral water is quite silicifying.
. Awl - Hmm, the tip is sharp and pointed. Seems like most awls wouldn't drill through tissue paper, but this thing is pretty well shaped. The thing is...I have never used an awl.
. Can opener/another medium slotted screw driver - Not even gonna try this one. I guess it looks like it would work, but I've never been able to use one of these things.
. Medium phillips screw driver - It would work in a pinch, but it is soooo polished and rounded and the angles are wrong. It just slips out of the screw if I apply much pressure.
. File/fish scaler (or is it supposed to be a saw?) - I just don't know about this one. I think they wanted to raise the total number of tools to list on the retail packaging and so they threw this thing in. Seems like it has 3 different functions. The file is the only thing I can truly identify and I doubt it would work on metal.

Small MT
. Never mind. Pointless. I already wasted 20 mins of my life that I will never get back identifying the tools on the large MT.  ::)
. Let's just say that except for the spring-loaded pliers, the rest are pretty much useless.

* day02.jpg (Filesize: 47.78 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #6 on: July 27, 2023, 06:05:11 PM
Diamond, you've mentioned the phillips driver twice as being the rounded variety.
I've learned from having too many cheap multitools, over the years, to avoid them.

I feel your pain.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #7 on: July 27, 2023, 06:56:08 PM
Diamond, you've mentioned the phillips driver twice as being the rounded variety.
I've learned from having too many cheap multitools, over the years, to avoid them.

I feel your pain.

I use multitools for the following and in the order of most to least used...
1. Knife
2. Pliers
3. Phillips driver

Most companies seem to do "OK" with the pliers, but the rest of the tools suffer greatly.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #8 on: July 28, 2023, 02:20:09 PM
Day 3

In the event that this becomes painful for you, just remember one thing...I'm the one who paid money for these, albeit they were on clearance, but still. 

Me now --->  :twak: <--- Me when I bought them

I have to admit, and it's what drew me to them in the first place: They look really nice. Attractive cutouts, smooth frames, sandblasted finishes.

But what I've learned over the course of buying these and a few other MTs, I don't like tools on the inside. 1. It makes for difficulty accessing them (and definitely no one-hand access, and 2. the pain you get when squeezing down on the handles when in plier mode.

Looks are as far as you get with these rabble-rousers.

* day03.jpg (Filesize: 39.67 KB)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #9 on: July 28, 2023, 03:37:20 PM
Err, a friend bought the kid some $5 multitool as a gift, and I told the kid flat out, nice, the sheath was even nicer, I’d use it as a emergency tool but as a edc tool forget it!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #10 on: July 28, 2023, 03:50:18 PM
Err, a friend bought the kid some $5 multitool as a gift, and I told the kid flat out, nice, the sheath was even nicer, I’d use it as a emergency tool but as a edc tool forget it!
JR

You were very kind to the youngster. No reason to pop his balloon. Over time, he will hold on to that one for the memory, but eventually buy a better one.

As part of this challenge I'm working on in this thread, I'll be EDCing these for a day or two and reporting back here in the near future. I will be brutally honest.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #11 on: July 29, 2023, 04:09:44 AM
I will be brutally honest.
.com
 :popcorn:

Cheap multis have their purpose, even if it's just to show how much better a more expensive one is. I waited too long to check in on this thread! :like:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #12 on: July 29, 2023, 04:12:13 AM
You were very kind to the youngster. No reason to pop his balloon. Over time, he will hold on to that one for the memory, but eventually buy a better one.

As part of this challenge I'm working on in this thread, I'll be EDCing these for a day or two and reporting back here in the near future. I will be brutally honest.
Oh I didn’t burst his bubble, that kids got a few nice sak and a few knives, one being a good hunk of change one I’d definitely trade a few of mine for! He knows what’s good!
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #13 on: July 29, 2023, 04:32:53 AM
... nice, the sheath was even nicer, ...
JR
I've actually picked up some el-cheapos just for the pouches.  :whistle:

au Offline ReamerPunch

• Thread Killer 2017
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Born to multitask.
Reply #14 on: July 29, 2023, 09:19:57 AM
They certainly have their place. They also make great paperweights.  :like:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #15 on: July 29, 2023, 12:58:09 PM
Oh I didn’t burst his bubble, that kids got a few nice sak and a few knives, one being a good hunk of change one I’d definitely trade a few of mine for! He knows what’s good!
JR

Sounds like he has ended up with some great ones! And I definitely didn't mean to imply that you had said anything negative to him, just the opposite.

.com
 :popcorn:

Cheap multis have their purpose, even if it's just to show how much better a more expensive one is. I waited too long to check in on this thread! :like:

Glad to have you and all the rest of you along for my painful ride.  :facepalm:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #16 on: July 29, 2023, 01:10:46 PM
Day 4

Well, here we are on day 4 of this horrible challenge. Will the award be worth it? Only time will tell.

I've mentioned the phillips driver a couple of times and thought I would include a lovely photo of said tool from each of the pair.

One thing the manufacturer did not neglect is the finish. They must have gone through so much rouge and many polishing wheels putting the mirror finish on these. They glisten in the sunlight. Interesting how much time and attention companies will give to an otherwise useless tool.

Quite frankly, I think I'd rather use the tip of my edc knife to tighten a screw than to be reduced to having to use these drivers. (I know, I just caused many of you to shiver thinking I'd stoop to such a terrible use of a knife that never did me any harm.  :cry: )

Fortunately, I've had a Gerber Dime in my pocket for many many years and the phillips driver it contains suites me just fine.

Well, on with my day.

* day04.jpg (Filesize: 58.85 KB)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2023, 01:19:52 PM by DIAMOND »

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #17 on: July 30, 2023, 02:44:08 PM
Day 5

I'm trying to find ways to make this MT charming and enticing by posting images with some creativity. For a few years, I've tried to resign myself to it being a useful set of tools, but I'm just not able to be convinced.

Take the knives for example. Sure, they look like real blades made out of real metal. But as most of us have learned, not all steels are created equal.

I remember as a kid back in the late 70's ordering a "survival" knife out of a magazine. It had the looks of a real combat weapon.

When I opened the box, I was presented with a thick blade and a compass mounted in the end of the handle. And a genuine faux leather sheath with sharpening stone. Oh, and the end of the handle could be unscrewed to reveal all sorts of "useful" items.

I was proud to own such a fine item.

But one of the many lessons I learned from it was that the blade steel was very inferior. First, it was nearly impossible to get a serviceable edge on it. And even if you managed to apply any level of sharpness, it wouldn't last. I would try to blame the honing stone it came with, but in all fairness, we all know it was the low quality steel.

This is how I feel about the stainless material these MT knives are made of. Like the aforementioned phillips driver, The amount of polish and shine they get on these inside tools is impressive. But is almost leans to the "cheap" side of esthetics. Heck, I have a hard enough time keeping an edge on my Gerber Suspension NXT with what fans have lovingly deemed "mystery steel."

Well, I'll keep dropping reminders that at some point in this challenge I will be EDCing these fine implements. At that time, I will be brutally honest about their performance. All other tools in my pockets will be left on my dresser and these alone will accompany me on my daily journey for a few days.

Thanks for taking some time out of your busy day to read my musing. This is time you will never get back and you will have me to thank.  :P

* day05.jpg (Filesize: 29.46 KB)

* survivalknife.jpg (Filesize: 12.71 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #18 on: July 31, 2023, 05:10:32 AM
Ah, yes...the infamous "Rambo knife!"

Your brutal honesty is much appreciated. Even if you wind up going just seven days, I :salute: you for undertaking the challenge! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #19 on: July 31, 2023, 02:14:28 PM
Ah, yes...the infamous "Rambo knife!"

Your brutal honesty is much appreciated. Even if you wind up going just seven days, I :salute: you for undertaking the challenge! :tu:

Yeah, and this was infamous even before Rambo was a thing. Sly was still getting punched in the face for the first time by Apollo Creed when this arrived in my mailbox.

I had my original "survival" knife for years on into the mid 80s, but the threaded area of the "tang" broke off and the blade fell out. I might still have the sharpening stone laying around here somewhere.  :dunno:

I'm entering Day 6 of the challenge. See below.  :tu:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 02:25:02 PM by DIAMOND »

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #20 on: July 31, 2023, 02:23:46 PM
Day 6

Many Glock owners will tell you that the beauty of those firearms is not their physical esthetics, but the performance and years of service they give you. They simply do what they are designed to do.

I'm not sure I can say the same thing for these two MTs. They are "perdy," but that seems to be as far as it goes. Lots of attention was given to the cut outs and, as I mentioned before, the super high polish they gave each of the inside tools is impressive. Even the matted bead-blasted finish on the frame is attractive.

But the tools themselves just...lack. I'll be running each tool through its paces and reporting back here how they perform (yes, that was a teaser, and a painful one at that).

Until next time, :salute:

* day06.jpg (Filesize: 57.51 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #21 on: August 01, 2023, 02:38:06 PM
Day 7

I've been interested in knives and tools since I was a kid. Gear and gadgets have always held a fascination for me.

I remember my first multi tool (hobo) knife. It was one of those brown plastic-handled ones with the fork and spoon attached. I thought is was so cool just to own such an item. It was a cheap version of, I'm sure, a much more robust original, but I didn't care.

In the world of multi tools as we think of them now with limited-run Leathermans and Swiss Tools, the sky is the limit on how much you can pay for a good MT. But I've never had the desire to spend that much. Notice I said "spend" not "own." I'd love to OWN a flagship MT. But I've never spent over $30 for the pocket tools I've had over the years.

I set a challenge for myself many years ago to find the most bang for the buck and not spend more than the aforementioned $30.

A few years ago, I was given a nice Benchmade knife, but I re-gifted it to a young guy who loved knives, but didn't own anything higher end.

Anyhoo, here's yet another pic of the pair.

Announcement...
Today, I will begin EDCing these guys. I'll do my best to report back here daily with action pictures of me using them on a daily basis. All other pocket tools (knives, MTs, etc.) will be removed from my person and only these two will remain to assist me in all things MacGyver related.

* day07.jpg (Filesize: 44.82 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #22 on: August 01, 2023, 06:20:36 PM
Day 7

I remember my first multi tool (hobo) knife. It was one of those brown plastic-handled ones with the fork and spoon attached. I thought is was so cool just to own such an item. It was a cheap version of, I'm sure, a much more robust original, but I didn't care.

I've still got mine, somewhere around here, Diamond.  Accompanied me on my many adventures in my younger years.
Yes, it was big and kinda ugly, but I enjoyed many cans of beans with it.

Can't wait to see how well the HD tools do in your challenge.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #23 on: August 01, 2023, 06:32:04 PM
I've still got mine, somewhere around here, Diamond.  Accompanied me on my many adventures in my younger years.
Yes, it was big and kinda ugly, but I enjoyed many cans of beans with it.

Can't wait to see how well the HD tools do in your challenge.

I lost mine when I was young. Funny thing was, I never camped of hiked when I was young. I simply liked the gadget aspect of it.

I always found the spoon awkward to use due to it folding into the frame, yet remaining on the outside. The angle pressed against my upper lip, which made it weird to use.

Sounds like you pressed past it.  :tu:

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #24 on: August 01, 2023, 08:43:46 PM
... Funny thing was, I never camped of hiked when I was young. ...

We had a creek about 1/2 mile from where we lived.  It ran under the interstate through 1 of 4 sections.  The other 3 being filled with sand.   We used to always hang out in the second one.  We called it camping.  We were only around 12 then,
but we had fun.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #25 on: August 01, 2023, 08:49:51 PM
We had a creek about 1/2 mile from where we lived.  It ran under the interstate through 1 of 4 sections.  The other 3 being filled with sand.   We used to always hang out in the second one.  We called it camping.  We were only around 12 then,
but we had fun.

Thanks for sharing a great story! Being 12 with friends is a good time.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #26 on: August 02, 2023, 01:42:12 PM
Day 8

Day eight has brought on both a success and a failure, which I saw coming.

The Success
In the winner's corner, we have the large MT with a technical knockout. This was the can opener challenge. For the most part, operating this particular tool was a positive experience. Working the can opener around this can of carrots proved very doable and the effort was minimal. I don't have a lot of experience in this area, but ultimately, the top of the can was easily lifted, though jagged and dangerous, as you can see. This is why I call it a TKO. Just not a clean job, but a job completed.

The Failure
But, I then reached for the small multi tool, and for what they considered the "can opener." This was a real stretch. It was so small and placed ever-so-slightly away from the edge of the frame, a little toward center, causing the frame to rub against the can. The tool was also just a little too small. These two obstacles brought me to my knees in frustration. Is it doable? Well, I guess the truthful answer is, "yes." But I feel it would be better time spent to take my angle grinder and remove the can opener on this smaller of the two MTs so I would never again be tempted to try this futile experiment.

As much as I can't believe I'm attempting this 30-day challenge, I can't believe any of you are crazy enough MT fans to read along. But I thank you.  :cheers:  <---BTW, this is root beer  :)

* day08.jpg (Filesize: 31.38 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #27 on: August 02, 2023, 06:20:40 PM
We're rooting for you, buddy!   :2tu:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #28 on: August 02, 2023, 06:48:08 PM
We're rooting for you, buddy!   :2tu:

Gosh, thanks...I think.  :-\

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #29 on: August 03, 2023, 04:30:25 AM
I thought for sure you'd throw in the towel and request a badge after seven days...but you're going for the full 30? This is gonna be good! :popcorn:
USN 2000-2006

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%