Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set

DIAMOND · 101 · 5945

au Online Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set
Reply #30 on: August 03, 2023, 08:12:25 AM
Keep up the good work mate, we feel your pain....I did 30 days with the Hammerhead a while back, here's some inspiration for you  :cheers:

https://forum.multitool.org/index.php/topic,85763.msg2267839.html#msg2267839

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #31 on: August 03, 2023, 02:24:54 PM
I thought for sure you'd throw in the towel and request a badge after seven days...but you're going for the full 30? This is gonna be good! :popcorn:

I'm doing this for all of you. I'm just that giving  :cry: :salute:
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #32 on: August 03, 2023, 02:58:34 PM
Day 09

The Amazing Collapsible Knife Blade

When I decided to take on this challenge, I had no idea it had the potential of the loss of life or limb.

I spent some time on the edge of the knife, giving it the best chance to succeed. After all, a sharp knife is safer than a dull one, as they say.

No doubt, the mystery metal it is manufactured from is soft. If worked hard, the edge will most likely roll.

But that is not the weakness I witnessed. Most knife blades that utilize the slip joint retention system (or similar) have enough strength to hold the blade in the open position for most tasks. Wow, not this baby. Yes, there is "some" retention, but only enough to keep it from free-falling. While utilizing it for basic cutting and slicing tasks, it has proven unsafe to say the least. If you keep the frame of the MT closed while cutting, it creates a sort of "knuckle safety" so that it can't close on your fingers.

It doesn't exactly instill confidence.

* day09.jpg (Filesize: 36.77 KB)

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #33 on: August 04, 2023, 04:18:12 PM
Day 10

Who knew they could be categorized as a Rescue Tool!

Our property requires some maintenance from time to time. While out walking a fence line, I picked up a few freeloaders.

Have you ever tried to remove these little menaces with your fingers? Ouch! They'll pierce right through your flesh and hang on with little barbs.

Cheap Chinese MT to the rescue!   :tu:

* day10_01.jpg (Filesize: 51.07 KB)

* day10_02.jpg (Filesize: 46.62 KB)

* day10_03.jpg (Filesize: 42.97 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #34 on: August 05, 2023, 04:24:33 AM
Bummer about the shaky lock-up on the blade. But the pliers sure proved their mettle!
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #35 on: August 05, 2023, 11:16:47 AM
Bummer about the shaky lock-up on the blade. But the pliers sure proved their mettle!

Yeah, so far the pliers are the shining light in this dark forest.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #36 on: August 05, 2023, 01:49:34 PM
Day 11

As I mentioned in a previous post in this thread, tool retention is not this MT's strong point. The flimsy sheet-metal flat spring will hold the utensils in there open position only until even an infinitesimal amount of pressure is placed upon the tool in use.

Enter the awlful awl.

Lets just say that you don't even get the chance to apply enough "push" to make a dent in wood or leather. Here I am thinking these Cheapo Chinese MTs can't be awl that bad. Boy, was I wrong. They are perhaps worse than anything I've read online.

I thought people were just being snobs: "My Leatherman would eat your CC MT for breakfast!" "My Swiss Tool is so far above your CC, you would need a telescope to even catch a glimpse of my amazing MT."

Ok, perhaps that's a stretch. I've never really read anything like that.

But the truth is, most CC MTs are just terrible (my experience limited to 4 different models). I own four and all were not hardly worth the scrap-iron they were made from. This is from me and my past and current use of them.

By the way, do you see that little dangerous rusty nail poking it's way into the picture below? I would rather trust my safety to it than to the awl.

* day11.jpg (Filesize: 40.08 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #37 on: August 05, 2023, 04:35:15 PM
Why anyone would think that a friction fit tool would stay in a working configuration is beyond me.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #38 on: August 05, 2023, 04:54:44 PM
Why anyone would think that a friction fit tool would stay in a working configuration is beyond me.

Agreed!

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #39 on: August 06, 2023, 05:58:40 AM
That thing is friction fit?
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #40 on: August 06, 2023, 01:14:49 PM
That thing is friction fit?

Ok, Ok, don't rub it in.  :facepalm:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #41 on: August 06, 2023, 01:19:05 PM
Day 12

A Successful Accomplishment

This journey continues to surprise me, both in the poor performance of this CC MT, but also in its achievements.

Although the blade has no lock, if I use it with care, it actually will do what I ask it to do.

Case and point: This apple.

The halving and coring was nearly as effortless as when I grab a dedicated paring knife.

I would call this a success! And the apple went great with my breakfast.

Does this give this MT a passing grade? By no means. But I felt it only fair to list any pros I discover, since its shortcomings are the low lying fruit.

* day12.jpg (Filesize: 45.3 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #42 on: August 06, 2023, 06:50:30 PM
Diamond, I read everywhere on different forums about folks that won't use a non locking blade.  These even include a normal slip joint knife.    It's good to see that you found a positive on your multitool.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #43 on: August 06, 2023, 08:13:09 PM
Diamond, I read everywhere on different forums about folks that won't use a non locking blade.  These even include a normal slip joint knife.    It's good to see that you found a positive on your multitool.

I've been searching far and wide for 12 days straight and have only come up with 2 positive aspects so far. But thanks for the optimism and encouragement.  :-\

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #44 on: August 07, 2023, 05:04:31 AM
Its shortcomings are the low lying fruit.
So true! Good to hear that it did some good for itself.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #45 on: August 07, 2023, 01:11:39 PM
So true! Good to hear that it did some good for itself.
\
"Some" being the operative word.  ;)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #46 on: August 07, 2023, 01:19:09 PM
Day 13

A Tale of Two Wires

When any particular day does not necessitate the need to extract my MT (or, I forget to take a picture of the task at hand), I figure that I'm being faced with the opportunity to create a test. Hey, nothing wrong with manufacturing a challenge for these pocket wonders.

Today was one such a day.

As I've mentioned in the past, the pliers are the shining implement in these discount tool boxes. But of course, tucked away in the jaws near the hinge are the seemingly minuscule wire cutters.

In the first of two photos, you will see I wasn't presented with confidence. So, twisty-tie it is. Though this was no challenge, the severing did cause one end of the cut to bend like a mini fish hook. My finger discovered this for me as my eye hadn't noticed.

In the second image, you will see I decided it was time to bring out the 14ga galvanized steel electric fence wire. It's tough stuff with a bit of tempering! It takes effort to cut this wire, even with dedicated cutters.

Wow, it went right though it! My mind wondered to the 12 penny framing nails on my work bench, but I decided I really didn't want to purposely mar them and I figured I'd never be able to apply adequate pressure to succeed with the task.

I should have attached another picture of me scratching my head in amazement.

* day13_01.jpg (Filesize: 18.79 KB)

* day13_02.jpg (Filesize: 36.93 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #47 on: August 08, 2023, 06:16:41 AM
Those are indeed some tiny wire cutters. I'm amazed that they handled the electric fence wire without much fuss!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #48 on: August 08, 2023, 01:12:39 PM
Those are indeed some tiny wire cutters. I'm amazed that they handled the electric fence wire without much fuss!

No muss, no fuss. No dent on the cutters. I was surprised.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #49 on: August 08, 2023, 01:16:42 PM
Day 14

From Large to Small, We Try Them All

It's time I move on from the large version in the matching set to the small. Oh boy, am I looking forward to this! (Insert nearly scared look on my face.)

My wife had received a package in the mail. As usual, she asked, "Do you have a knife?" I'm always excited inside every time a family member asks me that question. It's like Clark Kent having the opportunity to reveal his Super side. But my mind was suddenly drawn to the fact that the only one on me was the small version of this duo.

It's more dangerous than the large. The inside tools fold away so easily, and she needs the sharp one. Well, it was a success and no blood was drawn in the execution of the task. (Diamond wipes the sweat from his brow.)

So, what are the capabilities of such a minuscule blade? Well, I'm about to find out.

Open package? Check

Slice and core apple? Hmm, sort of a check.

I'm not sure if you can tell from the photo, but the blade is so small, it didn't cut all the way through the apple. I ran it all the way around and still had to tear the halves apart with my bare hands. (Yeah, you pictured it right...it was like the Incredible Hulk tearing a train in half!)

Now, the coring of the fruit went swimmingly. If I was from England, I would say, "Ratha," or "Bully."

So, the takeaway from all this? I'm not sure there is one. You decide.

* day14.jpg (Filesize: 26.41 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #50 on: August 09, 2023, 06:08:02 AM
So, the takeaway from all this? I'm not sure there is one. You decide.
The blade on the smaller tool is for small jobs. That Apple would have sent me scrambling for a bigger blade. That's my takeaway, at any rate.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #51 on: August 09, 2023, 03:35:03 PM
The blade on the smaller tool is for small jobs. That Apple would have sent me scrambling for a bigger blade. That's my takeaway, at any rate.

Your thoughts are duly noted and appreciated. I was tempted to grab our dedicated paring knife, but I'm trying to make it seven days without using anything else.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #52 on: August 09, 2023, 03:54:55 PM
Day 15

Perfectly Pathetic

Those are two words that, when combined, wonderfully describe the screwdriver on this small MT.

Why go on? What have I to gain? Futile!

Ok, Ok, you twisted my arm.

The words I would like to use to describe the utter uselessness of this driver would not be fit for the ear of a drunken sailor.

The fine polish in conjunction with the tiny size and the quick-folding action when any light pressure is applied causes this "tool" to fail beyond compare.

I just retrieved this MT from the trash, where I had tossed it determined not to continue with this challenge. But my sheer dedication to you, the reader, compelled me to stay the course. Yes, it is for you (I'm pointing right at you, my friend) I do this for. For there is no pleasure for me in this.

Today is day 15. I'll be requesting the 15 day challenge award. I believe I'm going to receive a gold watch with my initials and a cordial message hand-engraved on the case back. I'll post pictures of my new timepiece when it arrives. Ah, the anticipation.

* day15.jpg (Filesize: 20.97 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #53 on: August 10, 2023, 05:02:25 PM
Day 16

A Catastrophe Averted, a Lesson Learned

I headed out the door to feed our horse its supper. Typically, he is waiting for me, but this time he was no where to be found.

I gave my typical whistle and called out only to be called back to from a distance in the woods. The familiar whinny gave me an idea as to where he was, but it perplexed me he didn't come to get his evening meal.

Well, I headed down the path to find him tangled in some thick thorn-bearing vines. I could see he had been struggling for a short time as evident of the little signs of being poked by the barbs.

I really chastised myself as I remembered I only had the small MT in my pocket due to this challenge. Bad idea! But it was either return to the shed or garage for a pair of wire cutters or hedge trimmers, or use what I had. It really didn't seem like a good idea to leave him as he might try to fight the vines to follow me.

You will see in the picture it took some effort with the tiny jaws and cutter of this MT. But success was inevitable and the two of us proceeded to the stable so he could commence consuming his meal. I included some extra treats in his feed bucket and gave him some soothing pats on the back to let him know everything was OK.

When I got back to the house, I immediately stuffed my Gerber Suspension NXT in my pocket. I will continue the challenge for the next few days and do my best to only use the small MT. But should an emergency arise, my NXT will be the first thing out for the occasion.

* day16.jpg (Filesize: 40.42 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #54 on: August 11, 2023, 02:03:28 PM
Day 17

Short, but Stout

The pliers on this small MT are tiny. They measure about the size of those on my Gerber Dime, yet just seem more durable.

I would not be afraid to bear down on a nut to tighten it, or a heavy wire to bend it, but with my Dime, I sort of treat it like a princess. Don't get me wrong, I've carried the Gerber in my front right pocket every day since 2014, but I typically use the fine end of the pliers for tweezer-type work.

But the ends of the cheap Chinese pliers are robust. If it weren't for the short frame that digs into my palm, I think they would not give way to more pressure than I could exert.

Final grade for the pliers: A+

* day17.jpg (Filesize: 25.17 KB)

nz Online zoidberg

• Global Moderator
  • Point Of No Return
Reply #55 on: August 12, 2023, 01:39:43 AM
We need a horse pic.   :pok:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #56 on: August 12, 2023, 03:01:42 AM
He's a little camera shy, but I'll see what I can do.

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #57 on: August 12, 2023, 06:53:51 AM
Even though I'm allergic, I'd like to see photos of the horse, too. And good to hear that the pliers are a bright spot!
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #58 on: August 12, 2023, 01:53:55 PM
Day 18

Domestic Duty

We call upon our little multi-tool wonders for many interesting tasks. Often, the jobs are very mechanical and their usefulness is unmatched.

Other times, they assist with simple domestic tasks like tightening the little screws that hold the covers on outlets and switches in my home. It always amazes me how often I find these little screws partially backed out. Do I live in a vortex?

Here you will see this little MT performing admirably. This strap needed a little tidying up and it provided enough of a challenge to my fingers where the assistance of the pliers really helped out.

* day18.jpg (Filesize: 39.15 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #59 on: August 13, 2023, 02:04:43 PM
Day 19

You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

I've been looking at this little extension ever since I purchased this monstrosity.

Every time I unfold it, I just gaze at it in amazement (and amusement) that anyone could think this design would be good for anything. I mean, look at it. All the edges and points are rounded, most likely from the perdy finish they put on nearly every surface of this...thing.

The mere fact that I am taking up my time and yours is like doing bad to anything good in this world.

So, let's take a vote (because I have absolutely NO idea).

Is it a...
1. serrated blade
2. saw
3. fish scaler
4. ___________ (your idea here)

I apologize because the time it took you to read this post and answer the poll is time you will NEVER get back.

* day19.jpg (Filesize: 43.66 KB)

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%