Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set

DIAMOND · 101 · 5947

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Re: How bad can they be? A Home Depot Multitool matching set
Reply #60 on: August 13, 2023, 08:52:39 PM
Looks like a poorly serrated blade to me. A little time with a file could probably make it usable.

us Offline Farmer X

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Master of the unexciting
Reply #61 on: August 14, 2023, 06:07:20 AM
4. ___________ (your idea here)
Butter knife. :D

I admire your dedication to this challenge! :salute:
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #62 on: August 14, 2023, 11:00:02 AM
Butter knife. :D

I admire your dedication to this challenge! :salute:

Nice idea with the butter knife lol

Dedication? They told me I win a 2 week cruise in the Caribbean if I finish all 30 days. This is accurate, right?
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #63 on: August 14, 2023, 12:49:00 PM
Day 20

Spa Day

I don't spend a lot of time on my nails. That said, I don't like rough edges after trimming nor dirt under them. A quick cleaning and I'm on to the rest of my day.

Take a look at this nail tool. It's more like a mini prybar: sooooo thick and the end so round, it won't fit under my nails to do the job.

One side of the file displays texture, but visual is all you get. There is no coarseness to it. But I will give props to the other side (the one in the pic). It actually does a good job removing rough edges. I think it might work on other materials besides my fingernails, but only soft stuff. It's not hardened steel.

You will never see me treating myself to a day at the nail spa getting a mani pedi. Nope, I checked my man-card and it specifically states I am under no obligation to enter a day spa to soak my hands in rose-scented liquid (that's what it actually says).

But, I will take a quick minute and make my hands presentable. For this task with this MT, the knife is my selected tool. It works great for cleaning and removing irritating snags.

* day20.jpg (Filesize: 45.96 KB)

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #64 on: August 15, 2023, 05:59:31 AM
They told me I win a 2 week cruise in the Caribbean if I finish all 30 days. This is accurate, right?
If so, leave your carbon steel at home...the salty air will play hell with it. (I'm prior Navy, so I've seen that firsthand.) A holiday at a secluded cabin by a lake is more my pace, though.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #65 on: August 15, 2023, 12:40:58 PM
If so, leave your carbon steel at home...the salty air will play hell with it. (I'm prior Navy, so I've seen that firsthand.) A holiday at a secluded cabin by a lake is more my pace, though.

Wisdom  :tu:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #66 on: August 15, 2023, 01:05:43 PM
Day 21

Pointless, Useless

Amongst the plethora of tiny tools contained within the walls of this pocket toolbox, these two stand out in a crowd of unusability.

Truly, they step whole-heartedly to the head of their class of pointless implements (and I mean this literally in the sense the tips are rounded over and will not bite into a screw head).

The smaller could possibly act in place of an awl if one were to more acutely form the end. But then you would have the pleasure of it collapsing against your fingers due to the lack of detent, as I've mentioned at nauseam throughout this challenge.

All I can do is --->  ::)

* day21.jpg (Filesize: 72.75 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #67 on: August 16, 2023, 03:21:52 AM
I guess, if nothing else, they would be good to use while learning how to re-profile a blade or tool.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #68 on: August 16, 2023, 03:34:25 AM
I guess, if nothing else, they would be good to use while learning how to re-profile a blade or tool.

I like your optimism.  :like:

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #69 on: August 16, 2023, 07:02:11 PM
Day 22

Inside Out

The elephant in the room when it comes to CC MTs is the tools all being accessed on the inside of the frame. Yes, I know, even some of the popular nicer multi tools have this configuration... IE the Gerber Multi Plier and some others.

But it is truly indicative of the cheaper models made in China to have this design.

I really appreciate it when a company makes an MT where the many, if not all the tools have outside access. And Leatherman really has it going on by having the main blades one-hand-open.

This pair are no different where 100% of the tools can only be accessed by opening the handles, and then you really have to dig to free them from the frame, AND THEN they cling to one another in a most annoying way.

* day22.jpg (Filesize: 45.64 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #70 on: August 17, 2023, 02:36:41 AM
Day 22

Inside Out

I really appreciate it when a company makes an MT where the many, if not all the tools have outside access. And Leatherman really has it going on by having the main blades one-hand-open.

My very first MT was a Leatherman Super Tool while the blades locked, they were all inside opening.  My second was a Gerber that only had a small spring that helped hold the blades, almost like a slip joint.
They also were inside opening.

My latest is a SOG PowerPint that has locking blades, all outside opening blades and can, with practice, be opened single handed.

I'm glad that the major manufacturers are trying to improve their designs.
Addicted to sharp pointy things.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #71 on: August 17, 2023, 02:50:28 AM
My very first MT was a Leatherman Super Tool while the blades locked, they were all inside opening.  My second was a Gerber that only had a small spring that helped hold the blades, almost like a slip joint.
They also were inside opening.

My latest is a SOG PowerPint that has locking blades, all outside opening blades and can, with practice, be opened single handed.

I'm glad that the major manufacturers are trying to improve their designs.

I agree. Forward thinking and improving design and usefulness benefits everyone.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #72 on: August 17, 2023, 01:59:00 PM
Day 23

Of Springs and Things

Most of us on this forum enjoy gadgets of various kinds. Multi tools definitely fit into that category.

As a kid growing up, I was always fascinated by springs. Compression springs. Extension springs. Torsion springs. They were gadgets in and of themselves, and I loved them.

Whether they were at work giving motion to a toy or just sitting between my finger and thumb being squished over and over, I enjoyed them.

I'm still that way. Springs make life easier and often make heavy objects seem lighter, or acting as the stored energy, which is then released as with hand wound clocks.

In many of the posts in this thread, I've praised the accolades of the pliers-aspect of these MTs. This is the one part the manufacturer got right. I really appreciate the inclusion of springs, causing the jaws of the pliers to open automatically so I don't have to finagle them with my fingers.

My understanding is that some feel the channel that is created in the pliers to allow for the spring to be held in place creates a weak point, and I totally agree. But I don't work my multi tools that hard to where I would be concerned I would break them. At that point, I'm headed to my shop to grab the right tool for the job like a crescent wrench or socket set.

Some like the spring, some don't. Your thoughts?

* day23.jpg (Filesize: 51.21 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #73 on: August 17, 2023, 05:53:21 PM
Personally, if they're off that design, I take them out.   I don't necessarily hate them but my grandpa was a lineman for the phone company, so I was taught at an early age how to manipulate a pair of pliers.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #74 on: August 17, 2023, 06:04:57 PM
Personally, if they're off that design, I take them out.   I don't necessarily hate them but my grandpa was a lineman for the phone company, so I was taught at an early age how to manipulate a pair of pliers.

I love the things we learn from older generations. Then, it's our responsibility to pass them on to the next.  :salute:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #75 on: August 18, 2023, 06:24:29 AM
Some like the spring, some don't. Your thoughts?
I strongly prefer pliers that are sans spring. I find they close more smoothly than the spring-loaded types.

As for inside or outside accessibility, either is fine by me.
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #76 on: August 18, 2023, 01:58:20 PM
Day 24

$2.50 Well Spent

I've spent nearly a month prodding, pocking, mocking and just downright having fun beating down these two multi tools. But let's be fair, they are easy targets. It doesn't make me much of a person to constantly be making fun of the weakest kid on the block. In fact, that would make me a bully.

So I will now tell you that even though these MTs have their faults, the frame construction is robust. I think I could drop these off a ten-story building and they would just giggle at me. In fact, at times I've been tempted to drop these off a ten-story building...see, it's hard to not poke fun at them. Sorry, my little cheap Chinese tools.

They are built tough and look really nice. My best option would be to remove the inside tools, leaving the pliers in tact, that way I'm not tempted to use the others.

And seriously, I only spent $5.00 (on clearance, mind you) for the pair. If a person, young or old, were needing an economy tool to toss in their pocket or glovebox, these would be just fine. Can you spend a little more and get a lot more? Absolutely! But if your budget is only a few dollars and you want a multi tool to have around the house, these would serve you just fine.

But if you can up your game just a little, like $10-15, there are some better options, to be sure. There is one listed on Amaze-on for under $15 that has a 4.4 rating with over 4000 votes. And some of the reviews say the inside tools lock up well for safe use. If you can stretch your budget (maybe skip lunch out or driver easier and save some gas, you crazy drivers!), something like that might be a better choice.

* day24.jpg (Filesize: 43.02 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #77 on: August 19, 2023, 12:27:15 PM
Day 25

Pocket, Pocket Clip, Belt Pouch

In my little universe of belts, pockets and tools, I really like things to be ready at hand.

Will a split second of having to reach into my pocket to retrieve my MT make all the difference when opening the mail? Nope.

If I have to rip open a velcro closure or unsnap a belt pouch snap, will I lose a measurable enough time to really make a difference if I see a screw that needs to be tightened? Nope.

Do I still like prefer pocket clips and pocket suspenders for carrying my knives and MTs? Yep.

Sometimes it's the little things in life that matter.

What is your preference for carrying multi tools and knives?

* day25.jpg (Filesize: 40.76 KB)

us Offline PitCarver

• No Life Club
  • Average Old Guy.
Reply #78 on: August 20, 2023, 01:34:17 AM
For me, it all depends.  Most of my knives ride in my pocket.   If they come with a pocket clip, I remove it.  I prefer my multi tools to be in a pouch though.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #79 on: August 20, 2023, 02:52:28 AM
Ah, a traditionalist. Both methods have been used for centuries.  :tu:

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #80 on: August 20, 2023, 06:25:13 AM
What is your preference for carrying multi tools and knives?
Generally speaking, a dedicated pocket for folding knives and a belt pouch for PB multis. But there are exceptions to those rules. SAKs smaller than 84mm ride on a neck lanyard, and my Case 3137 rides in a belt pouch. Sometimes I use an inexpensive pouch as a slip. I'll pocket carry a PB multi if I don't have a pouch that it fits in and I like. Fixed blades are carried on my right hip (riding low) or a neck lanyard.

Keep up the good work with this challenge! :tu:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #81 on: August 20, 2023, 02:26:07 PM
Day 26

Pachyderm a Plenty

Did anyone else notice the elephant in the room?

The larger of the two tools can be taken apart. Really?

With all the corners they cut on these and one of the two can be adjusted or modded?

* day26.jpg (Filesize: 33.46 KB)

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #82 on: August 20, 2023, 03:29:36 PM
I'll generally use a clip if it's there, but it's not something that a big deal. I've been experimenting with using a dangle clip for SAKs with mixed results.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #83 on: August 20, 2023, 04:45:18 PM
I'll generally use a clip if it's there, but it's not something that a big deal. I've been experimenting with using a dangle clip for SAKs with mixed results.

I really like pocket suspension clips. I've been using them for many years. I even have one on my Climber. Keeps me from having to fumble through my pockets to pull it out.

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #84 on: August 21, 2023, 01:48:38 PM
Day 27

Just a picture today.

* day27.jpg (Filesize: 35.75 KB)

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #85 on: August 22, 2023, 02:57:26 PM
Day 28

Let the countdown begin...Only 2 days left in this challenge

It's hard to believe something that looks this good could be so bad.

Sure, I could reprofile some of the screwdrivers...ok, ALL of the screwdrivers! I mean, isn't that what us MT guys do...mod things?

But there is some expectation when you buy a tool that it will perform as intended, even if it takes a little bit of extra effort.

If I bought a lower quality hammer, would I expect to have to true up the face because it's ground at an angle? Would I just figure I will have to cut a groove in the claw so I can remove nails?

There are some basic fundamental functions we assume will be included in an implement such as this. Nope, sorry folks. With some grinding and resurfacing, this MT could work for you, but you will never be able to make it truly safe enough due to the weak detent.

Again, the pliers are about the only properly operating feature.

* day28.jpg (Filesize: 45.22 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #86 on: August 23, 2023, 06:49:04 AM
There is some expectation when you buy a tool that it will perform as intended, even if it takes a little bit of extra effort.
:iagree:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #87 on: August 23, 2023, 04:04:16 PM
Day 29

Don't Do It!

While walking through my local WalMart perusing the Casio watch inventory looking for bargains (and finding them! Two Casio Duro Marlins for $11.00 each!!!!!), I wandered over to the sporting goods department. It was then, I noticed something familiar hanging on one of the countertop displays.

This MT, priced at $7.94, really reminded me a lot of the CC MTs I've been reviewing in this 30-day challenge. In fact, it reminded me all to well of the ones I own. Yikes!

day29_01.jpg
* day29_01.jpg (Filesize: 86.94 KB)

The inside tools are almost a perfect copy of the implements in mine. The only value this little retail package contained was the belt pouch. It actually looks kind of useable and durable. So, I guess for eight bucks, that's a pretty decent price for a nice pouch. Just toss the MT in the trash. No, I didn't buy it.

As I've said in past posts, if you can spend just a few more dollars, it will be money much better spent. Buy nice or buy twice. I don't necessarily live by that saying, but it is really good advice.

day29_02.jpg
* day29_02.jpg (Filesize: 56.51 KB)

us Offline Farmer X

Reply #88 on: August 24, 2023, 06:07:10 AM
Buy nice or buy twice. I don't necessarily live by that saying, but it is really good advice.
Indeed it is. Looking forward to hearing what fate the Home Depot multis will meet! :popcorn:
USN 2000-2006

us Offline DIAMOND

Reply #89 on: August 24, 2023, 02:20:38 PM
Indeed it is. Looking forward to hearing what fate the Home Depot multis will meet! :popcorn:

I appreciate you following along with me on this journey. Below is my final entry in this challenge.

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%