Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Rihe Designs RH288

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Rihe Designs RH288
on: August 12, 2023, 04:12:28 AM
Rihe Designs have been a design house for knives since 2018. Like many others in the industry they decided to branch out on their own and offering knives under their own branding. They started with a handful of models, offering designs that would challenge the norm,  and offer them at a competitive price. We're taking a look at one of those models that they launched with, the RH288 model.

The RH288 comes in with an overall length of 7.87", a handle length of 4.91", and a blade length of 3.45". The design is really quite striking, it's very minimalistic and kind of reminds me of a stiletto. The handle is pretty straight, with just a touch of curve near the end. The handles are G10 with a very light texture to them, it offers just the right amount of grip without being too smooth. The liners on this model are not milled out for weight reduction, and it offers some nice heft to the knife. Even with the semi-straight handle, those curves offer enough to make it feel comfortable.

When it comes the blade, deploying it is done with a flipper. Being solely a flipper in design allowed them to keep the blade very low profile when in the closed position. The blade does feature a stylistic fuller, I don't feel it adds or detracts from the overall design, but it's a nice touch. If the blade wasn't so nestled between the scales you could almost use the fuller as an alternative opening method.

The blade on this knife is a clip point style and comes in D2 steel. I like overall profile of the blade, offering a long flat with a slight belly gives it enough blade for chopping things like vegetables, yet enough belly up front for delicate cuts. The high flat grind makes it a great cutter, highs and full flats to me are by far the best performers. The steel may not be fancy but it's a tried and true steel, running this one through tests I didn't encounter any issues with heat treat like chipping or rolling.

The thing that fascinated me the most with this design, is the combination flipper with cross-bar lock or what Rihe calls the Shaft Lock. Most flippers do not have this style of lock, I guess this makes this sort of a white whale. With most cross-bar style locks I can pull back the lock and the blade will swing to a closed position. However with this model it will only come to the half-way position, this is caused by the way the flipper tab is incorporated. As the blade comes into the closed position the flipper tab pulls on the lock and doesn't allow that full drop to happen. Even though a blade drop isn't possible, I am able to snap the blade back into the handle with a flick like other knives with this lock style.

I love pocket clips, ever since Spyderco invented the Clip-its I've been a fan. I truly appreciate a well done clip, and you'd be surprised how many companies can make a pretty decent knife but ruin a good design with a poorly designed clip. This knife comes with a week thought out clip, a deep carry style that's reminiscent of the ones being use by Ocaso knives. This over the top clip is very deep in the pocket and quite high, and fits over a variety of pocket thickness. In spite of that height I don't feel it too badly when using the knife, it didn't melt into the handle like butter, but it's not digging in and causing any discomfort.

The RH288 is a great performer and a little unique in overall design. I see Rihe really taking off and wowing us with some of their designs. After all, they've been doing this for a long time, similar to Kansept. They're using those years of design experience to build up a brand that is sure to be a hit with consumers.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD