Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Armbar Drive, Scout, and Trade

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Armbar Drive, Scout, and Trade
on: August 15, 2023, 12:05:21 AM
Alright folks, I think this review sounds good but some extra eyes don't hurt. I think I have dates and product release dates correct, let me know.

--------------------------------------------

Back in 2020 Gerber launched a new series of tool that was meant to be an in-between in their product lineup, somewhere between a pocket knife and a full fledged multitool. Gerber want to create something like your Swiss Army knife, and it would help prevent users from abusing their pocket knives.

Gerber launched with the Armbar Drive and the Cork, they seemed like a pretty good launch for the company, and were followed up by the  Armbar Slim Drive and Armbar Slim Cut in 2021. For 2023 Gerber adds two new models to the successful Armbar lineup, the Scout and Trade.

Having not used anything in this lineup, I thought it would be great to check out the original Armbar and the two newer tools. It's a great way to see how the design has evolved or perhaps improved, and if Gerber's new iterations are a great addition for your everyday carry.

The original Armbar Drive features an in-line screwdriver, scissors, awl, cap lifter or light duty pry bar, and a blade. When I think of the Armbar series I immediately think of this model, I think it's probably the most widely used model out of the lineup. Being only 3.625" long and 0.71" wide, it's compact and great for carrying loose in your pocket, ready for what the day may bring.  The original has some quirks shall we say, but they aren't enough to dismiss the package as a whole.

The blade on the Drive has a cutout to facilitate opening, my initial impression is that this would be a one hand opening blade. Due to the overall size of the tool, there's not much to hold onto and with a tight pivot, one hand opening is tricky. The pivot has loosened some with use, but one handed access is still somewhat awkward. The main blade is held open with a liner lock, and there no vertical or horizontal play. With a 2.5" blade your probably not going to be using it hard with to disengage the lock. The Armbar like my other Gerber tools, has liner locks that have a great deal of travel. I appreciate a well tuned lock, one that allows the lock to move it's way across the lock face as the knife ages. I think it's just poor QC when a lock maxes out and is only stopped by hitting the other side of the handle.

The Armbar series utilizes a slip joint type of system to keep the onboard tools in the closed or opened position. I have no issue with this design, it does a good job for the most part. Both the awl and the scissors are pretty stable in the open position, I do think the spring for the screwdriver could have been strengthened. The driver doesn't snap open with any kind of authority, and unless your careful, will buckle under use. A positive though is that the driver can be also be used at a 90° angle, this is great for achieving some extra torque.

The scissors and the awl do a pretty good job, Gerber is owned by Fiskars, so scissors should be a breeze for them. The scissors come out of the tool folded flat so they take up less room in the tool. This design is used on a great deal of Gerber multitools, if it's not broke don't fix it. Folded into position, the scissors do a decent job, they handle paper, light fabric, and even some things like paracord. They do struggle with some thicker materials or things that might cause the scissors to bind. It's not fault of the tool, after all this is a light duty tool and implements should be treated as such. The awl does a great job on various materials, I used it on wood and made a new hole in my belt, excelling at both. An awl is great, because there are some places you don't want to go with your knife blade, and you just need something to poke with.

The combo tool on the end of the Drive is quite interesting, it features a bottle opener, and a light duty pry/ hammer. Popping open a cold one works decent, I  didn't have to try more than once to get it to work. The light duty part of the pry and hammer function, is most certainly just that. The hammer function has been used to push some ice cubes into a bottle to keep it cold, and tap some small nails into a wall. When it comes to the pry function, hadn't used it much other than lifting the tab on a soda can. These little features work but I don't know how much stress I would put them through, course in a dire situation I'm sure they would get the job done.

So as a whole, the Armbar Drive is not bad, it's really compact for the amount of tools on board. It features the basics, which are likely to come in handy or get you out of a potential jam. It's not without it's flaws, but what tool isn't, I do feel it makes up for it's shortcomings. Now it's been 3 years since the release of the Armbar Drive, has Gerber been taking notes and made necessary adjustments to the Scout and Trade? Let's take a look, and see the pros and cons of these multipurpose gadgets.

First up is the Scout, I feel like this is more of an attempt at a Swiss Army type of load out. The scout features a 2.5" blade, scissors, saw, and can opener. The Scout also features the same multipurpose pry on the end of the tool. A great addition to the new tools is a pocket clip, folks no longer have to have their Armbar bouncing around in their pockets. I didn't mind the loose Armbar scenario, made it feel more like a Swiss Army knife. The pocket clip is wide enough at the top for various pockets and what not, and has plenty of tension to keep the tool in place.

The blade is opened via a thumb hole or cutout like the Drive, it's still tricky to open one handed due to how tight Gerber has them from the factory. The liner lock still travels all the way to the other side of the handle when the blade is open. At this point it's safe to say, this is the way their going to come and the company feels it's acceptable for the price point.

As for the saw and the can opener, the saw was able to cut through 2" branches with ease. You could certainly tackle larger, but your hindered by the side of saw blade, but it does admirably for it's size. The can opener is very nice, it's reminiscent of those on scout knives I have from the 70s. The elongated tip allows for deep cuts into the tin and makes getting them open easy. These two tools combined with the same scissors from the Drive, create a great "scout" style pocket tool box.

Now the Trade is a little different, it's a blend between the two models. The Trade has the same driver and awl from the original Drive, but adds the saw from the Scout. I see the Trade being useful for someone in construction or maybe maintenance, someone who needs to turn a wayward screw or trim something small rather than going back to the truck.

The driver on the Trade is the same as the one on the Drive except one noticable difference. The spring for the driver might be a little tighter, but I think it may be the now squarish pivot being used. With the old style pivot for the driver, it was similar to an old pocket knife. That system is still being used, but the addition of the squared section puts extra tension on the spring. This design change isn't dramatic and doesn't completely change the spring tension but it helps.

The Armbar series have not necessarily seen improvements in the overall design, but instead have become more job specific. They work good for their size and make a decent replacement, or companion for a Swiss Army knife or full fledged multitool. The issues I have are perhaps nit-picky, and addressing those issues might result in consumer pricing.  It's no wonder why they're so popular with consumers, it's quality and a brand people trust, at price that fits just about every budget.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Re: Armbar Drive, Scout, and Trade
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2023, 02:55:57 AM
Good solid report.  First class photos.  Sorry, I can't double check your dates, etc.  What I know about them is about what you wrote.  Thumbs up on the article.  Best wishes. Gary
 :tu:

au Offline Echotech

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: August 16, 2023, 08:42:49 AM
 :iagree: very good write up  :hatsoff:
Although I've had my drive for a few years hadn't given it nearly enough use until last months Orange challenge, I like it a lot and makes a good change from my usual SAK or LM MT
 :cheers:

ie Offline McStitchy

• Global Moderator
  • Zombie Apprentice
Reply #3 on: August 23, 2023, 07:33:43 AM
Thanks a lot for this awesome review David   :like:

Glad to see that they improved the tool "locking" a bit. They all seem to look like that now  :tu:

Offline Dr. Ive

• New User
Reply #4 on: August 28, 2023, 01:48:07 AM
If it only had a way to hang it from the keyring...

Also, are there double bits of this dimension in tool stores? Or are we stuck with Gerber's replacements?
I ask because I only saw longer double bits.
And what about normal (single) bits, do they sink so much that they can't be used?

Something which disturbs me with Gerber is that they don't declare the steel they use for the blade.
And just even the look of this tool, all parts seem to be of a rather cheap material. What's your assessment?

It's a pity because otherwise it's just what I was looking for.
Well, I do not really need the saw or the scissors, so I would go for the slim, but that has no hammer. I like the hammer thing.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2023, 01:53:39 AM by Dr. Ive »

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 11:37:48 PM

>>If it only had a way to hang it from the keyring...

I've seen pocket clips on etsy but not a a a split ring option

Also, are there double bits of this dimension in tool stores? Or are we stuck with Gerber's replacements?

>>I ask because I only saw longer double bits.
And what about normal (single) bits, do they sink so much that they can't be used?

Gerber provides a double ended bit but regular 1/4 bits fit just fine

>>Something which disturbs me with Gerber is that they don't declare the steel they use for the blade.
And just even the look of this tool, all parts seem to be of a rather cheap material. What's your assessment?

Gerbers tools use a form of 420 steel unless otherwise mentioned. I'm sure why they don't mention what kind, unless they feel that most of their consumers don't care. It's not bad quality, some of their important tools like the Dual Force are really good. When it comes to the tool market the materials and quality usually comes with a difference in price tag. For what you pay for with the Armbar I feel your getting a decent tool.

>>It's a pity because otherwise it's just what I was looking for.
Well, I do not really need the saw or the scissors, so I would go for the slim, but that has no hammer. I like the hammer thing.

I actually like the original Armbar, other than a driver that doesn't have enough tension and a blade that's tricky to open one handed it ticks the same boxes for me.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 01, 2023, 01:36:34 PM
Great review David !   :tu:

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00