Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Kansept Model 6

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Kansept Model 6
on: August 18, 2023, 01:43:49 PM
Kansept Knives was started by Kim Ning, a former production manager and designer at Kizer Cutlery. Kim has more than 20 years of experience in the industry, and his small team has similar expertise. Kansept's goal is to offer high-quality knives at affordable prices. Their lineup is certainly impressive, and I've had the opportunity to check out thier new Model 6.

The Model 6 was designed by a retired law enforcement officer, Nick Swan. He needed a knife that he could trust his life on, not only as a last line of defense but as an everyday tool. The Model 6 was designed to be a working knife that could be used for various task daily, but could instanyly be deployed as a self defense tool. To me the Model 6 doesn't scream self defense, but maybe that's the point.

The Model 6 comes in with an overall Length of 7.47'', a blade length of 3.15", and a handle length of 4.35". The Model 6 fits right into that mid-sized EDC category, and it's big enough for a variety of tasks that one might encounter everyday. The Model 6 is a titanium frame lock with wharncliffe style blade of S35VN steel.

I find the length of the handle to be just about right for average sized hands, my pinky has just enough room to park itself on the tail of the handle. I love the finish on the handles, the orange peel texture is a nice and gives me plenty of grip when using the knife. The body features a oversized titanium clip that's fairly low profile, and doesn't cause any issues during use. I'm not a huge lanyard guy, but the oversized lanyard hole is a nice approach design wise. I feel sometimes people will simply have a passthrough hole or something similar that didn't require too much through. The Model 6 incorporates it as part of its design and it's doesn't detract from the aesthetics.

The knife is comfortable to handle in both a standard as well as a reverse grip. The pronounced index area combined with the trailing swell in the middle makes it a joy to use even during long cutting sessions. There's some minimal jumping on the spine to give your thumb a place to rest, it's offers just the right about of traction without feeling like it's too much.

Blade wise, the Model 6 features a modified sheepsfoot blade. With a standard sheepsfoot, I feel the shape is more utilitarian due to the very low point, it's less likely to puncture things inadvertently. This modified version picks the tip slightly, resulting in little curve to the belly. This gives the blade a point that's a little better for a forward thrust, rather than a draw cut. The diagonal high flat grind is interesting, to me it seems to offer the benefits of a strengthened spine while allowing for a precise tip. The grind allows the Model 6 to cut material really easy, while testing it out I did have any need to push the knife hard to go through thicker material. The  S35VN holds up good, it was a long time before my first sharpening. Sharpening was not bad, long as you maintain your edge, it shouldn't be difficult to bring it back. 

Deploying the blade is done with a flipper tab, the knife does feature a thumb hole, even if it is more cosmetic. The flipper doesn't feature a very pronounced tab and I find launching the blade to be ok, but not authoritative. Sometimes I'll get the blade only halfway out and have to swing my wrist the rest of the way. I think flipper tabs should be a little longer and angled upwards for less possibility of misfires. The Model 6's hole isn't large enough to open with your thumb, or middle finger workout some effort. The opening is well rounded and doesn't provide a lot of bite when trying to grab it. With some practice though I am able to use both deployment methods, even if I fail a good percentage of the time.

The Model 6 is an excellent knife, it's a good size for everyday carry, and it sports a great utilitarian design that can be pushed into a self defense role if need be. Being one of my first Kansept knives, it really impressed me in terms of quality.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD