Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Anyone ever use or own a Shopsmith multi-workshop?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Anyone ever use or own a Shopsmith multi-workshop?
on: August 19, 2023, 05:20:20 AM
Well as the subject says, anyone ever use or own a Shopsmith? I’ve always been interested in one since it’s an all in one shop tool, instead of having multiple machines around the workshop it’s all in one, table saw, drill press, sander, lathe, can even add on others like band saw, jointer, scroll saw, and so on, I’d just love to get one but have no clue about them? So any info would be great..
JR

* IMG_2140.jpg (Filesize: 105.26 KB)
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Re: Anyone ever use or own a Shopsmith multi-workshop?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 12:41:44 PM
I don't know anything about these units specifically, but I have learned a few things in my time.

The biggest concern?

All in One tools are a great compromise for space, and sometimes even budget, bit if any one of those tools breaks, then you are well and truly screwed because your whole shop is dead.

Neat units though, and for your own work (vs professional use) it could be very handy.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 03:53:40 PM
Yeah I’m kinda limited on room even though it’s a two car garage, most is used for storage, but there’s still some room to make a little something, and like you said yeah getting each piece of machinery would be expensive and take up room, but then again, it would be like a multitool, if one of the tools breaks then your out that tool, yet if the main tool breaks then your out the whole system..
JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #3 on: August 19, 2023, 03:58:56 PM
I'm sure you've thought about this, but I'd take a look at what kind of things I'd like to do or build or fix. You might not need "all" the tools.

It's a cool multi tool, but are there things you'll never use.
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 19, 2023, 04:40:06 PM
I'm sure you've thought about this, but I'd take a look at what kind of things I'd like to do or build or fix. You might not need "all" the tools.

It's a cool multi tool, but are there things you'll never use.
I want a,
Table saw,
Drill press,
And Lathe,
The bonus tools would be a,
Band saw,
Belt sander,
And maybe a jointer..
And that tool basically does all of the above, but only starts off with just the drill press, table saw, disk sander, and lathe, but it has so many more add on which I could build the shop up,,
JR

us Offline DIAMOND

• Sometimes I sits and thinks, sometimes I just sits
Reply #5 on: August 19, 2023, 04:45:25 PM
Ah, I see your point lol
MTs: Gerber Dime, Gerber Suspension NXT, PLeatherman Wave, Misc China Cheapos

SAKs: Vic Climber, Vic Classic SD, Vic Classic (non-SD), Engraved 3-blade SAK (given to me as a gift)

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: August 19, 2023, 06:35:10 PM
A little off topic  :like: but I have a Shop Smith Zippo :D I need to get it out and take a pic  :cheers:

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 19, 2023, 08:02:50 PM
Some technicians/ carpenters at a former workplace used a carpentry multimachine. It was bigger and only did horizontal stuff though so not the Shopsmith. (Table saw, router, thickness planer, long holes and sanding). That worked fine although they said that except for the table saw seperate machines would work better. But space and budget had been driving, and it was a working solution.

Multimachines are compromises. The mix of functionality mix clash reducing the functionality of one or more machine modes. To be fair the mix can also increase certain mixes - a drill press or router located straight about the axis of the lathe mix be useful for instance. I think the degreee of such compromises would depend on the size of your workpieces so that might be worth a think? A table saw and a router table for instance want a fair bit of horizontal plane area around them to handle big pieces. Other functions in the vertical direction, like drill press and bandsaw, might interrupt that horizontal space.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%