Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

large backpack for commuting?

sanman · 26 · 1907

Offline sanman

on: August 19, 2023, 09:47:46 PM
considering a Condor 3day pack
or a Mystery Ranch rover 45L or 2day

there's a few cheaper items on Amazon and such, but some say they get tears in the seams and whatnot

current backpack is maybe 28L or something
could go for a couple cheap or smaller ones also, but bigger this time and maybe either cheap or durable
not sure what sort of pockets or other features, but generally good basic build quality, maybe not too much fluff and thin nylon. sturdy.
maybe Camelbak BFM, or Condor or that kind, and then one of the Mystery Ranch (or the discontinued tri-zip Camelbak)
there's a cheap canvas duffle also just one big bag

Mystery ranch 3day costs almost twice as much as the 2 day for just a few more liters size
not sure what other changes
i might not need Molle
could check some classifieds sales

any other suggestions and recommendation?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 10:19:57 PM by sanman »

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Re: large backpack for commuting?
Reply #1 on: August 19, 2023, 11:37:09 PM
Osprey have a few nice models - transporter, wheeled transporter, fairview, sojourn. Some has wheels, some more backpack than others, and some more baglike.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

Offline sanman

Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 01:19:50 AM
Osprey have a few nice models - transporter, wheeled transporter, fairview, sojourn. Some has wheels, some more backpack than others, and some more baglike.
polyester

but maybe

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 03:07:26 AM
I got an imitation condor, but one thing I did was use an old school metal Alice military frame yet got newer molle strapping, must say was very comfortable, idk if I can find pics,
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 03:40:30 AM
Hah, knew I had it..
JR

* IMG_2143.jpg (Filesize: 72.45 KB)

* IMG_2142.jpg (Filesize: 79.31 KB)
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 11:22:26 AM
polyester
but maybe

They have models in 1680D Ballistic Nylon, 600D nylon and TPM laminated nylon. And clearly polyester too in some models as you found that. Either way they back their products with a guarantee.

What kind of commute do you do? City commute and say commute walking in the woods would be fairly different needs.

"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #6 on: August 20, 2023, 04:15:57 PM

What kind of commute do you do? City commute and say commute walking in the woods would be fairly different needs.
True that!
JR

no Online Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 20, 2023, 05:47:22 PM
I'm looking for a commute bag myself as the previous one is literally falling apart. Hence I had some things I have looked at in mind. For me though the main thing is wheels and baglike, and less about backpack, as it is mostly about houling to and from cars. Although with the added complexity that there might be a meter or more of snow involved in that process at worst, so anything smooth to drag along like a sled is a bonus.  (I'm even considering wheel based tool crate systems or equipment bags for motorcycle racing. Very versatile insides).
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #8 on: August 20, 2023, 10:07:57 PM
I use a GoRuck that is now discontinued but a better version is called 4.0. I like it as it has all of the features of a tactical tough built design but is not obviously so. For urban carry so I didn’t want to draw attention.

Anyway close to a decade now and is going strong. Used it for global travel, mashed in tight spaces, sharp corners, tugged zippers and handles pretty hard. No issues.

I got mine on sale and they used a different material back then. They are pricey but maybe they still do sales.

Offline sanman

Reply #9 on: August 20, 2023, 11:05:05 PM
They have models in 1680D Ballistic Nylon, 600D nylon and TPM laminated nylon. And clearly polyester too in some models as you found that. Either way they back their products with a guarantee.

biking to get groceries

Offline sanman

Reply #10 on: August 20, 2023, 11:06:31 PM
I use a GoRuck that is now discontinued but a better version is called 4.0. I like it as it has all of the features of a tactical tough built design but is not obviously so. For urban carry so I didn’t want to draw attention.

Anyway close to a decade now and is going strong. Used it for global travel, mashed in tight spaces, sharp corners, tugged zippers and handles pretty hard. No issues.

I got mine on sale and they used a different material back then. They are pricey but maybe they still do sales.

This one?
is 20L and a 25L
https://www.goruck.com/products/rucker

I might consider whether I can carry anything bigger

Offline sanman

Reply #11 on: August 20, 2023, 11:18:09 PM

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/soelden-32-SOELDEN32F23_550.html
$180
for snow, 32L

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/sopris-30-SOPRIS30F23_787.html

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/kamber-30-KAMBER30F21_625.html
$210
for backcountry skiing, snowboarding 30L

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/manta-34-MANTA34S23_484.html
$220
hiking, 34L

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/skimmer-28-SKIMMER28S23_438.html
biking, 28L
$150
maybe this one

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/stratos-34-STRATOS34S22_382.html
$200 34L day-hiking
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/talon-33-TALON33F20_204.html
33L $190 mens day-hiking

women's hiking, hydration
on sale $104.50
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/skimmer-28-SKIMMER28_129.html

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/volt-45-VOLT45_297.html
$190 45L

27L $85
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/flare-27-FLARE28S22_426.html
campus
30L $100
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/proxima-30-PROXIMA30S22_588.html

26L everyday commute
$170
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/parsec-26-PARSEC26F22_453.html

bike commute
out of stock
24L $180
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/metron-24-pack-METRON24F22_451.html

everyday commute $140 32L
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/nebula-32-NEBULA32F22_004.html
4star rating

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: August 21, 2023, 04:50:20 AM
Mystery ranch 3day costs almost twice as much as the 2 day for just a few more liters size
not sure what other changes
i might not need Molle
could check some classifieds sales

The price difference is mainly due to the 3 Day being Made in USA vs the 2 Day being Made in Vietnam.  Also, the 3 Day BVS is more than the CL version due to being made Berry Compliant.

I love the Mystery Ranch futura harness system, it is extremely comfortable.  The 2 Day is a really nice pack as well as the 3 Day.

us Offline Old Boy

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: August 21, 2023, 05:25:38 AM
This one?
is 20L and a 25L
https://www.goruck.com/products/rucker

I might consider whether I can carry anything bigger

That’s the one. They have bigger or smaller ones as well.

Offline sanman

Reply #14 on: August 21, 2023, 06:57:13 AM
The price difference is mainly due to the 3 Day being Made in USA vs the 2 Day being Made in Vietnam.  Also, the 3 Day BVS is more than the CL version due to being made Berry Compliant.

I love the Mystery Ranch futura harness system, it is extremely comfortable.  The 2 Day is a really nice pack as well as the 3 Day.

how about the Condor 3day or Camelbak BFM or some such?

and then maybe Mystery Ranch Rover or something less combat Molle and camo, but maybe not polyester hiker either.
I would mostly like the 2day unless i can find some Rover 45L or 3day for decent price.

So I might get some military sort and figure out how to use Molle and check if the pouches are how I'd use them.
that's 4 bags then
condor, BFM, rover, and 2day

does anyone have a bit of comparison between or kind of what the pictures show i guess
either the condor or BFM, not both (how do these compare, or maybe some 3rd option? Amazon has decent price now on a condor, but i could check classifieds ads and ebay)
and then maybe one of the two Mystery Ranch, which really i'd have to get that Y shape zipper and supports, so maybe not the Rover? unless the Rover is really solid or anything for one big pouch.

us Offline Sos24

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #15 on: August 21, 2023, 11:28:33 AM
how about the Condor 3day or Camelbak BFM or some such?

and then maybe Mystery Ranch Rover or something less combat Molle and camo, but maybe not polyester hiker either.
I would mostly like the 2day unless i can find some Rover 45L or 3day for decent price.

So I might get some military sort and figure out how to use Molle and check if the pouches are how I'd use them.
that's 4 bags then
condor, BFM, rover, and 2day

does anyone have a bit of comparison between or kind of what the pictures show i guess
either the condor or BFM, not both (how do these compare, or maybe some 3rd option? Amazon has decent price now on a condor, but i could check classifieds ads and ebay)
and then maybe one of the two Mystery Ranch, which really i'd have to get that Y shape zipper and supports, so maybe not the Rover? unless the Rover is really solid or anything for one big pouch.
I have not tried the BFM and the Condor I only tried someone else’s, but the Futura Harness on the 2DAP is much more comfortable in my opinion than the Condor. 

The Rover is not as comfortable as the 2DAP either, but that is due to the Rover being more designed as a travel bag/pack, instead of an all day carry pack.  The Rover has nice organization and styling, but if you are planning on carrying it a lot with weight, a pack with the MR futura harness just can’t be beat in my opinion.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #16 on: August 21, 2023, 04:42:38 PM
As you see I have an imitation condor, the padding was pretty good so I would think the real  thing would be better, the thing I like most was the molle and the strapping, that thing didn’t need to be packed in order for it to feel tightly full, because the external strapping on both the sides and top would pull tight and make it solid! The one thing you could do is find a cheap imitation like mine maybe off Amazon or eBay and see if you like it, get a feel and then if so then buy the real thing,,
JR

Offline sanman

Reply #17 on: August 24, 2023, 02:04:24 AM
As you see I have an imitation condor, the padding was pretty good so I would think the real  thing would be better, the thing I like most was the molle and the strapping, that thing didn’t need to be packed in order for it to feel tightly full, because the external strapping on both the sides and top would pull tight and make it solid! The one thing you could do is find a cheap imitation like mine maybe off Amazon or eBay and see if you like it, get a feel and then if so then buy the real thing,,
JR

i'm gonna try a Condor and maybe Mystery Ranch.

Anyone have any info on the older versions of Camelbak BFM?
If I get an old one, it might have some different pockets? But brand new could have warranty.
Old might be a bit beaten up depending where I get it. A few years ago Camelbak official website had a few really low sales on BFM.

New is really expensive, but there might be a decent coupon.
I could post in the classifieds. Mostly I wanna know if the new design is significantly better straps and whatnot, or exactly what is the differences?
Or is there an even older version?

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #18 on: August 24, 2023, 04:01:51 AM
That’s why I like the condor, plenty of pockets and with the molle you can just add pouches or whatever wherever! I found a bag that I thought was great but I guess they don’t sell them, but all it was, was a simple size bag but with molle on both sides and two loops on each corner, this way you could put a grimlock on whichever in order to turn it into a backpack or shoulder bag, but with sooo much molle you could add whatever to customize it, I suggested to someone that if you took one of those molle seat covers that you put on the back of a Jeep seat and just played Tetris with whatever pouches you could make the most custom backpack you could ever think of, and they were like that’s a pretty good idea.. now since you mentioned “camelbak” that conversion backpack I made, I bought an old military camelbak and as you can see here (old pic) with grimlocks it worked perfect, here’s a pic of that other one I’d so love to have them make..
JR

* IMG_2153.jpg (Filesize: 116.56 KB)

* IMG_2155.jpg (Filesize: 80.06 KB)

Offline sanman

Reply #19 on: August 24, 2023, 04:24:57 AM
That’s why I like the condor, plenty of pockets and with the molle you can just add pouches or whatever wherever! I found a bag that I thought was great but I guess they don’t sell them, but all it was, was a simple size bag but with molle on both sides and two loops on each corner, this way you could put a grimlock on whichever in order to turn it into a backpack or shoulder bag, but with sooo much molle you could add whatever to customize it, I suggested to someone that if you took one of those molle seat covers that you put on the back of a Jeep seat and just played Tetris with whatever pouches you could make the most custom backpack you could ever think of, and they were like that’s a pretty good idea.. now since you mentioned “camelbak” that conversion backpack I made, I bought an old military camelbak and as you can see here (old pic) with grimlocks it worked perfect, here’s a pic of that other one I’d so love to have them make..
JR

I don't know much about Molle. And I'm not quite sure what you're explaining or the picture besides attaching stuff generally. Sounds great.
You can attach a whole extra pouch? Or just small things?

It might be nice to have pouches and smaller backpack you can put inside the large bag, or on the side securely.
Sometimes just using disposable boxes and bags can be useful than to have too nice of a bag.
Sometimes need durable longer term and really customized to what you need.
And sometimes just need whatever you can get and make it work while it lasts.
If you need reliable and custom, usually cost money.
Else to work with what's available.

I think of it relating EDC principles or something. We might have some different concepts and I'm not sure whether it entirely fits EDC itself.
But usually places have a very narrow idea of their agenda in one way, while also borrowing from elsewhere. So there's definitely overall what is within it, and what's extraneous just taking some. A balance or flow.

Usually not much room for taking a step back and discuss the philosophy, beyond what people can go and decide to seek some introspection and reflect on.
of course it's just a bag, huh, right

And they go and cater these and cater to and cater to each other making what is in demand
I know what might work for my case
I'd like a bag made of good material, the right pockets,
But if it's not available, there's bigger picture

I don't even know what to do with Molle
The whole ecosystem or what's usually used for that
Else heck, just common sense and tie something to it
doesn't have to be some special Molle-attach patented system

I'd consider whether to get the newest Camelbak BFM or how many older versions
Or just cheap stuff
Or more research, more advice
CamelBak BFM is popular or widely known
Not some random brand or Chinese or new pop up or trending

Offline sanman

Reply #20 on: August 24, 2023, 04:39:21 AM

I wonder if Mystery Ranch - Rover would be comparable.
the Condor 3day is huge (50L?)

I would consider something more urban

I don't know what to do with Molle anyways but I could get some paracord
Or other fasteners
Magnets, something with a rotating opening or zip

Mostly BFM also, whether to just get an old one without warranty
Better pockets? Could check Ebay, then classifieds

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #21 on: August 24, 2023, 04:46:17 AM
Sorry, maybe I over stepped, molle is the new military setup for attachment, before it used to be Alice, with the old metal clips, molle uses just a simple webbing that weaves its way then locks at the end, it’s kinda simple but can also be an absolute pain at times, but the outcome is so worth it! If you go to an army/navy store or online at Amazon or any military store they will have all sorts of diff size bags/pouches, and on the back side is just a simple webbing strap that goes vertical and you can weave it to whatever has horizontal webbing, here’s a pic of the car seat cover I said, and well just pick your pouch and put it wherever, and like Tetris have fun making it all fit! So if you want a medical bag, a bottle pouch, and so on, you can totally customize to your liking, the other nice little thing is they usually have Velcro on the front side so you can put a patch on it so if you ask someone who doesn’t know your pack to run and get the first aid, I’m sure they can figure it out like in the pic.. please don’t hesitate, if you have any questions, there’s idk how many members that will answer!
JR

* IMG_2157.jpg (Filesize: 142.81 KB)

Offline sanman

Reply #22 on: August 24, 2023, 05:11:27 AM
Sorry, maybe I over stepped, molle is the new military setup for attachment, before it used to be Alice, with the old metal clips, molle uses just a simple webbing that weaves its way then locks at the end, it’s kinda simple but can also be an absolute pain at times, but the outcome is so worth it! If you go to an army/navy store or online at Amazon or any military store they will have all sorts of diff size bags/pouches, and on the back side is just a simple webbing strap that goes vertical and you can weave it to whatever has horizontal webbing, here’s a pic of the car seat cover I said, and well just pick your pouch and put it wherever, and like Tetris have fun making it all fit! So if you want a medical bag, a bottle pouch, and so on, you can totally customize to your liking, the other nice little thing is they usually have Velcro on the front side so you can put a patch on it so if you ask someone who doesn’t know your pack to run and get the first aid, I’m sure they can figure it out like in the pic.. please don’t hesitate, if you have any questions, there’s idk how many members that will answer!
JR

Ohh good info
thanks
MOLLE is modular with zippers and webbing
ALICE is one large pouch and fastened together

I lost my message I was writing a reply
I got the Condor is a bit stiff shoulder straps but overall is comfy
I wonder if a bigger city might have some of the other backpacks to try
And maybe if I do find an older style, can just make sure to get some more info. Sometimes they change the location of certain pouches.
To make sure I learn how older BFM changed, or just buy latest, or ask whoever is selling

It's nice to be able to make your own stuff too
Not just whatever is branded
That's what I meant
So that's what you were saying too, in terms of MOLLE being versatile
I had wondered if it was proprietary, was my point
And seems mostly universal. Tech stuff and fashion is obnoxiously proprietary.

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
Reply #23 on: August 24, 2023, 05:26:35 AM
MOLLE standes for Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment, as did ALICE, for All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment, just two diff setups for carry, if it says molle whether it’s made by one company or another, it will fit, all webbing is 1in and spaced in intervals of 1in in order for the other webbing to fit, and it is stitched every 1-1/2”, pretty simple. As for any new bags there probably going to be stiff at first, just going to take some time to break it in,
JR

Offline sanman

Reply #24 on: September 23, 2023, 08:06:20 PM
JR

bumping this thread since a month ago
and yeah i was just ranting, sorry
how everything is marketed and then have to use it a certain way kind of

so my new updated question is....what bag can fit a 12.5" x 12.5" x 9.5" box??
I tried in the 50L Condor but the outer dimension isn't what matters, rather the inner is limited to 8" on one side
so I tried asking Mystery Ranch if their 60L mission rover will fit the box inside the backpack, not the other way around i had to clarify

also wondering maaaaybe what bags fold small enough to stow inside another bag when empty

the 2day mystery ranch is still on a nice sale. i paid a bit more, before i had found the sale.
i missed a 60L mission rover last month since i hadn't decided yet, but there's a 45l being sold
umm i wonder what other forum or classifieds to ask and also buy used. i could try a couple.
i'm eluding that the 2 day is so hefty also that it can't fold at all, but the waxed canvas polyester whatever on the rover....maybe could actually fold a bit smaller

mainly do you have any other suggestions to fit this square box (is also heavy)? the mission rover is more of a luggage bag, so it might not carry on the back quite as nicely, but can use the single shoulder strap like messenger bag.
the thing about the 2day pack is the yoke makes it so i can't turn my neck much (biking)
the mission rover 60L expands to 75L. they don't show up on ebay often and as i said, i just missed one going for half price. could pass up the 45 since i'm not even sure these can open like a backpack top, i see they can fold completely split like luggage. so the 60 would be great, if it can fit this box.
if the 45 isn't great for biking or easy access...maybe not the 45 unless i am setting it in one location to load/unload and walk to another destination

any other brands

i'm actually trying a couple more bags now but i returned a larger mystery ranch Y zipper similar but larger than the 2 day (Scree 32)
i don't quite like 5.11 Tactical that much and not for the cost either
there was some other bag at REI unzipped the side, reminds me a bit of Y zipper, and the thing about it was it had velcro shelves to access from side opening, or remove the shelves but they're heavy duty seeming

Oh and you guys might really like the Adidas sling bags. The older version is a bit nicer in my opinion.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2023, 08:14:45 PM by sanman »

Offline sanman

Reply #25 on: September 24, 2023, 06:26:51 PM
bumping this thread since a month ago
and yeah i was just ranting, sorry
how everything is marketed and then have to use it a certain way kind of

so my new updated question is....what bag can fit a 12.5" x 12.5" x 9.5" box??
I tried in the 50L Condor but the outer dimension isn't what matters, rather the inner is limited to 8" on one side
so I tried asking Mystery Ranch if their 60L mission rover will fit the box inside the backpack, not the other way around i had to clarify

also wondering maaaaybe what bags fold small enough to stow inside another bag when empty

the 2day mystery ranch is still on a nice sale. i paid a bit more, before i had found the sale.
i missed a 60L mission rover last month since i hadn't decided yet, but there's a 45l being sold
umm i wonder what other forum or classifieds to ask and also buy used. i could try a couple.
i'm eluding that the 2 day is so hefty also that it can't fold at all, but the waxed canvas polyester whatever on the rover....maybe could actually fold a bit smaller

mainly do you have any other suggestions to fit this square box (is also heavy)? the mission rover is more of a luggage bag, so it might not carry on the back quite as nicely, but can use the single shoulder strap like messenger bag.
the thing about the 2day pack is the yoke makes it so i can't turn my neck much (biking)
the mission rover 60L expands to 75L. they don't show up on ebay often and as i said, i just missed one going for half price. could pass up the 45 since i'm not even sure these can open like a backpack top, i see they can fold completely split like luggage. so the 60 would be great, if it can fit this box.
if the 45 isn't great for biking or easy access...maybe not the 45 unless i am setting it in one location to load/unload and walk to another destination

any other brands

i'm actually trying a couple more bags now but i returned a larger mystery ranch Y zipper similar but larger than the 2 day (Scree 32)
i don't quite like 5.11 Tactical that much and not for the cost either
there was some other bag at REI unzipped the side, reminds me a bit of Y zipper, and the thing about it was it had velcro shelves to access from side opening, or remove the shelves but they're heavy duty seeming

Oh and you guys might really like the Adidas sling bags. The older version is a bit nicer in my opinion.

yeah so maybe the 60L
or if there's any stores in NYC or something

what's a good nylon or canvas....just a bag or with basic straps
a huge sack or something that could stow inside the bag?

this might not be a durable straps, but the canvas should be ok
https://www.rothco.com/product/rothco-nomad-canvas-duffle-backpack
still saying maybe something that can fit a 12.5" x 12.5" x 9.5" box

like just get some canvas or nylon sheet, and have it stitched??

what about this one
https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/sojourn-porter-65l-PORTER65F23_818.html

still waiting to hear back from Mystery Ranch to confirm if their 60L fits this box inside it

i could get a nylon or canvas sheet and maybe get grommets attached to it
sew up the sides, and cinch the top
just for carrying around a little, besides the backpack
fold it up and stow it
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 06:43:06 PM by sanman »

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99