Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Fiddling with SAKs

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Fiddling with SAKs
on: August 30, 2023, 12:16:44 AM
I generally have several SAKs sitting out on my desk and from time to time I pick one up, examine it, open and close all the blades, test locking blades, try out a scissor, think about related SAKs.... maybe put it down after a while and try another one.  Look at the wiki. Sometimes the notion to look at some specific other SAK will come into my head and I will go look in a cigar box or three and find it and then fiddle with it. 

I have no idea why but sometimes this is just the ticket to slowing down and relaxing.  Thinking about my collection is to imagine a stable world of things that don't change.  Much.  I admit this is a rather dumbed-down version of existence but maybe that is exactly what is needed sometimes?  That and a bourbon with water.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Fiddling with SAKs
Reply #1 on: August 30, 2023, 12:22:04 AM
I'm the same, but not just with SAKs--multitools, traditional knives, modern knives, etc., whatever is on my mind, in my pocket or in front of me on my desk at the time.  :climber:

It drives one of my dogs crazy.  :rofl:

No water in my Bourbon, please.  ;)
- Terry

us Offline Barry Rowland

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Bon Journee!!
Reply #2 on: August 30, 2023, 03:54:23 AM
Me too!  I'll second that on the water with my bourbon, too.  Mrs. R never minded me fiddling with the SAKs, but I think Spyder flicking and Gerber flicking is beginning to drive her nuts  :rofl:
Barry

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: August 30, 2023, 05:04:20 AM
Most of my favorite fiddling knives are not SAKs.  I prefer ones that have interesting handle textures, typically machined aluminum or titanium, or stag.  I’ll try for some pics tomorrow.

No water in my bourbon, but I’ll take it with ice.

fi Offline Pilotsupergrip

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2023, 05:11:39 AM
I can relate also. I fiddle with SAKs ja Leathermen and when I work at home I tend to have a row of them on my screen stand to play with. If I fiddle with a Huntsman I feel like going to the woods, Spartan has a feel of MycQywering and DIYing to it, with Crunch I want to fix motorcycles, Surge in my hand and Im ready for any SHTF scenario and with Curl Im ready for the common day and more. Most of my tools and knives bring me back different memories for example from a camping trip, building stuff or different hobbies like fishing trips and MTBing. They also bring into mind new possibilities that I may want to check out.

I've noticed that I also seem to organize my EDC, go-bag, adventure kit etc every now and then as a way to organize my mind in a some way. Today I needed a few moments after a long day and I changed my urban possibles kit contents from one admin pouch to another and had a change to trim it down quite a bit. Removed excess stuff and kept what I felt is the core items of the kit. Maybe did the same to my mind after the long day. For the last weeks I've worked on my adventure kit more as I've thought much about my scant free time (baby in the house). I wanted the kit ready for a 1,5-2 hour spare time window to use in the woods nearby or to take with me to any new location I get to explore.

Lähetetty minun SM-A426B laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Curl, Surge, OHT, Crunch, Micra, Squirt PS4, Style CS, Huntsman, Spartan, Classic SD, Armbar Slim Cut

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #5 on: August 30, 2023, 05:26:10 AM
Yep, I’m always fiddling with a SAK.

Sometimes it’s my Camper (I’ve become increasingly fond of the wood saw, even for non-sawing uses) or Rambler. Or some random one from my modest collection that lives in my desk drawer.

And I agree, I find the ritual of opening and closing all the tools to be calming. It’s almost a form of brief meditation!

za Offline Humayd A R Mahomedy

Reply #6 on: August 30, 2023, 08:55:57 AM
I do the same,but with multitools and knives (fixed and folders) as well. When I get a new toy,I'll knifesturbate with it for a while,sometimes weeks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: August 30, 2023, 10:22:54 AM
I generally have several SAKs sitting out on my desk and from time to time I pick one up, examine it, open and close all the blades, test locking blades, try out a scissor, think about related SAKs.... maybe put it down after a while and try another one. 

:iagree: I am much the same, especially when working from home. Fumbling with a SAK has a soothing effect on me and helps me think, so I do that mainly during calls or when drafting documents.
I also like oiling wooden scales in these situations; the feeling of wood in my hands and the smell of the Ballistol gives me a weird feeling of comfort.

Come to think of it, I play mostly with Celidor or wooden SAKs in these situations, almost never with Alox. For some reason, they feel more serious and a bit cold to me, so it seems less obvious to toy around with them. Also, their stronger snap is slightly annoying in those situations. This is not to say I never fiddle around with them, just to explain why I like wooden or Celidor scaled SAKs better in the aforementioned scenarios.

I guess all this may appear a bit weird to outsiders, but as you say, while toying with SAKs the world seems like a friendlier, less complicated place. It reminds me of times when things used to be still alright. Probably a childhood memory thing. :think:

Interesting topic :tu:

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2023, 10:46:34 AM
I do the same,but with multitools and knives (fixed and folders) as well. When I get a new toy,I'll knifesturbate with it for a while,sometimes weeks

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
:rofl:

“All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.”
― Blaise Pascal, Pensées
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 10:57:18 AM by Bunk Tuppins »

us Offline Jeffjeeptj

Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 09:27:38 PM
  Even though I am 70YO, and have owned 3 or 4 SAK since my late 20s, I have recently become an addict.  My wife says I cannot give any to the grandkids, yet, since they are 7, 10, and 12.  In particular, the 7 yo gets jealous of anything the 12 yo gets.  Their Mom agrees, not yet.  Their Dad does seem to like the Handyman I gave him the other day, all fiddled up.

Recently, my addiction means I am always looking for used SAK s to purchase for the right price, so when the time is appropriate for the grandkids, I will have plenty for them.  I enjoy sitting and fiddling at my desk, dreaming of the future uses with grandkids.  Sometimes, fiddling includes a swig of Jack Honey from a bottle in the freezer of my office fridge.

So far, a few campers, a few Huntsman, a few Handyman, various OHO 111mm,  and a few SD classic keep my fiddling activities which include tieing some lanyards, cleaning, changing some scales, and of course verifying the SAKs function smoothly and are still sharp.
Most coincidences are carefully planned.

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #10 on: August 31, 2023, 10:26:27 PM
  Even though I am 70YO, and have owned 3 or 4 SAK since my late 20s, I have recently become an addict.  My wife says I cannot give any to the grandkids, yet, since they are 7, 10, and 12.  In particular, the 7 yo gets jealous of anything the 12 yo gets.  Their Mom agrees, not yet.  Their Dad does seem to like the Handyman I gave him the other day, all fiddled up.

Recently, my addiction means I am always looking for used SAK s to purchase for the right price, so when the time is appropriate for the grandkids, I will have plenty for them.  I enjoy sitting and fiddling at my desk, dreaming of the future uses with grandkids.  Sometimes, fiddling includes a swig of Jack Honey from a bottle in the freezer of my office fridge.

So far, a few campers, a few Huntsman, a few Handyman, various OHO 111mm,  and a few SD classic keep my fiddling activities which include tieing some lanyards, cleaning, changing some scales, and of course verifying the SAKs function smoothly and are still sharp.

Hi Jeff,

Great to hear one nevers grows out of SAKs (although I have to admit the thought is also a bit frightening...).

Regarding the grandkids, have you thought about giving the 7 yo a Classic? Shortly after I gave my 10 year old daughter her first SAK (a Deluxe Tinker with special scales she fancied), I gave my son a LE Classic for his 6th birthday. I explained to him how it works and he is allowed to use every implement except the blade, which he may only use under an adult's supervision.

This has worked out quite nicely so far, although  I notice my kids are far less attracted to SAKs than I am. But I suppose that's a good thing.  :rofl:

Cheers,

Simon
« Last Edit: August 31, 2023, 11:14:20 PM by Simon_Templar »

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #11 on: August 31, 2023, 10:49:37 PM
My wife says I cannot give any to the grandkids, yet, since they are 7, 10, and 12. 
What about the Junior models?
My girls have each had their own plastic toy SAK since the age of 2, and both have become proper little MiniGyvers.

I'm guilty of a fair bit of SAKurbation, although I'd argue it's only such if you fiddle while looking at the Wiki pics or watching videos of Felix Immler, NikGyver, Mark Coffman and Swiss Army Dan...

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 01, 2023, 12:43:11 PM
I think i will not add any comment on the topic, as account of being guilty on all charges...  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

gb Offline Tasky

• Galaxy-hopping garbage-man
Reply #13 on: September 01, 2023, 08:07:48 PM
I think i will not add any comment on the topic, as account of being guilty on all charges...  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Not at all, my son - Relieve your guilt and confess your sins. All will be forgiven... especially if you include photos!!

us Offline Enginears

Reply #14 on: September 01, 2023, 09:01:00 PM

Regarding the grandkids, have you thought about giving the 7 yo a Classic? Shortly after I gave my 10 year old daughter her first SAK (a Deluxe Tinker with special scales she fancied), I gave my son a LE Classic for his 6th birthday. I explained to him how it works and he is allowed to use every implement except the blade, which he may only use under an adult's supervision.

This has worked out quite nicely so far, although  I notice my kids are far less attracted to SAKs than I am. But I suppose that's a good thing.  :rofl:
I have done the same with my 6 and 8 year olds. They love using the other tools and “knife time” when they are supervised.

I'd argue it's only such if you fiddle while looking at the Wiki pics or watching videos of Felix Immler, NikGyver, Mark Coffman and Swiss Army Dan...

:rofl:

Guilty as charged

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #15 on: September 02, 2023, 02:30:56 AM
I consider holding/fiddling with a SAK to basically be required in order to watch an episode of Macgyver.

So, uh… I do.  :climber:

fi Offline Pilotsupergrip

Reply #16 on: September 02, 2023, 03:30:46 AM
I consider holding/fiddling with a SAK to basically be required in order to watch an episode of Macgyver.

Im on season 3 right now :D It's fun to fiddle with a different model than Mac has or even a MT and think would it add to any of the scenarios! He always seem to have just a few layers. Imagine what would happen if MacQywer got a Swisschamp... :O

Curl, Surge, OHT, Crunch, Micra, Squirt PS4, Style CS, Huntsman, Spartan, Classic SD, Armbar Slim Cut

us Offline marlowe221

Reply #17 on: September 02, 2023, 04:59:57 AM
Im on season 3 right now :D It's fun to fiddle with a different model than Mac has or even a MT and think would it add to any of the scenarios! He always seem to have just a few layers. Imagine what would happen if MacQywer got a Swisschamp... :O

I haven’t watched any in years until I started slowly watching the entire series from the beginning several months ago. I’m on Season 6 now, so nearing the end.

It’s been fun to watch for the SAK usage as the series has gone on. And you’re right! Mac likes to keep it simple! He’s only carrying a 2 layer most of the time!

us Offline hsherzfeld

Reply #18 on: September 04, 2023, 12:52:56 AM
I like to open and close the scissors and listen to the satisfying clicking sounds they make. 
Current SAKs: Explorer, SwissChamp, Handyman (modded), Climber, Super Tinker, Tinker, Woodsman (modded), Electrician, Pioneer, SwissTool, Executive, Ambassador, Champion Plus
Current Leatherman tools: PST, Original Wave, Wave, Wave+, Blast, Bond, Curl, Style PS, Micra

Boomer Sooner!

de Offline ulzhan

• No Life Club
  • The Spirit of Central Asia
Reply #19 on: September 04, 2023, 11:16:01 PM
It's time to pull the Swisschamp XXL out of storage. Plenty of layers to fiddle with.  :climber: :climber: :climber:

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: September 22, 2023, 12:15:53 AM
Most of my favorite fiddling knives are not SAKs.  I prefer ones that have interesting handle textures, typically machined aluminum or titanium, or stag.  I’ll try for some pics tomorrow.

Well, a bit late, but here’s a pic of two of my favorite fiddling knives.  Viper Key and Benchmade Bugout…

* IMG_1671.jpg (Filesize: 93.17 KB)

us Offline Bunk Tuppins

Reply #21 on: September 22, 2023, 02:22:18 AM
 :like:
Well, a bit late, but here’s a pic of two of my favorite fiddling knives.  Viper Key and Benchmade Bugout…

us Offline Swisster

• Ambassador of SAK's
Reply #22 on: September 22, 2023, 02:30:18 AM
  Here is what I keep on my desk to fidget with. 2017 White Christmas-Sexplorer.

pt Offline MacGyver

• No Life Club
Reply #23 on: September 22, 2023, 10:16:52 AM

Yup...
Absolutely Mandatory....   :D
"Another Day...; a whole n'other set of fresh possibilities..." - MacGyver (S1E19 - "Slow Death")

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #24 on: September 22, 2023, 04:38:32 PM
Yes, I do this too.  Since I've been basically settled on a pioneer for my EDC for over 10 years now, lounging around the house is when I fidget with others.

Its funny, I've been debating on whether to get a cybertool, just because all the bits and bobs are interesting and cool and would have a high fidget factor, but I have zero desire to actually carry one.  I don't love plastic or easy to lose bits in my EDC.  I guess I'm just a weirdo  :dunno:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

au Offline Huntsman

• Global Moderator
  • No Life Club
Reply #25 on: September 25, 2023, 05:01:14 PM
What an interesting topic   :tu:

I can vouch for all this from another angle:
I am currently separated from my collection of SAKs and MTs (just a couple of EDCs) around - And I definitely miss them  - BIG-time
Sounds a bit sad - But a bit of a whole in my life!!

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 25, 2023, 05:43:18 PM
We all know SAKs are useful, but they are also the ultimate tchotchke as well.  Best wishes.  Gary
 :cheers:

us Offline MTSAK

Reply #27 on: September 25, 2023, 09:01:17 PM
I constantly fidget with my SAKs also. Mainly with the bottle opener and inline Philips is applicable. Their snap open and closed is very satisfying. The pliers on my Champ and Deluxe Tinker are fun to play with as well. My Deluxe Tinker lives on the table next to my recliner so it gets a lot of fidget time. My little boy also loves to have me open all of the tools to see which tools are in the knife I'm carrying at the time. He loves to go through my wooden box where I keep my collection. He is constantly rearranging my order and going through them deciding which one he likes the best. His own little Classic SDs are in there as well and he gets to carry them occasionally. The only rule is he cannot open the blade unless he is given permission. Other than that, he has free range and would probably mow the whole yard with his little scissors if given the time.  :D

00 Offline Simon_Templar

• No Life Club
Reply #28 on: September 25, 2023, 09:12:10 PM

Its funny, I've been debating on whether to get a cybertool, just because all the bits and bobs are interesting and cool and would have a high fidget factor, but I have zero desire to actually carry one.  I don't love plastic or easy to lose bits in my EDC.  I guess I'm just a weirdo  :dunno:

In the Cybertools' defense, although the bitholder is indeed made of plastic, fiddling with the bitholder is a delight - it has a very solid feel and a great snap, better than any other 91 mm implement imho. Also, after Vic's revision of the bitholder, it holds the bits tight and safe. I EDC'ed the CT34 for more than a year and never lost a bit.

Cheers,

Simon

us Offline gustophersmob

• No Life Club
  • <><
Reply #29 on: September 25, 2023, 09:58:35 PM
In the Cybertools' defense, although the bitholder is indeed made of plastic, fiddling with the bitholder is a delight - it has a very solid feel and a great snap, better than any other 91 mm implement imho. Also, after Vic's revision of the bitholder, it holds the bits tight and safe. I EDC'ed the CT34 for more than a year and never lost a bit.

Cheers,

Simon

That's good feedback, thanks!  :tu:
If the trees blew down the wind and no one was around, would the alphabet song really go backwards?

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%