Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

AI Vs MTO

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
AI Vs MTO
on: September 04, 2023, 01:19:02 PM
As we all know, AI is here to stay and some of the stuff that it comes up with is simply astounding.  Many websites are publishing a lot of AI generated content to increase their hit count, which increases ad revenue.  This also increases their web presence and makes them look like they are experts in the field, when clearly they are not.

Naturally, as a tool, AI is pretty neat in it's own right, and it has it's uses.  I decided to give it a shot, and I challenged it to write 500 words about the Gerber MP600.

The Gerber MP600: A Versatile Multi-Tool for Every Adventure

In a world where versatility and preparedness are highly valued, the Gerber MP600 stands as a shining example of a well-crafted multi-tool. This iconic piece of gear has earned its place in the hearts of outdoors enthusiasts, DIY aficionados, and professionals alike, thanks to its rugged design, ingenious features, and enduring reliability.

At first glance, the Gerber MP600 presents itself as a sturdy and imposing tool. It features a robust stainless steel construction that exudes durability and reliability. This quality construction ensures that the MP600 can withstand the rigors of the great outdoors, making it an ideal companion for camping trips, hiking adventures, and survival scenarios.

One of the standout features of the MP600 is its one-handed opening mechanism, which sets it apart from many other multi-tools on the market. With a flick of the wrist, the pliers can be deployed single-handedly, allowing for swift and efficient access to its various functions. This design innovation makes it a practical tool for situations where every second counts, whether you need to cut a fishing line, tighten a loose screw, or grasp a stubborn object.

Speaking of pliers, the Gerber MP600's needle-nose pliers are precision-crafted and equipped with tungsten carbide wire cutters. These cutters can effortlessly slice through wires, cables, and even small nails, providing a level of utility that is unmatched in the multi-tool market. This feature is invaluable for those who frequently find themselves working with wires or in construction settings.

The Gerber MP600 boasts a comprehensive set of tools, neatly packed into its compact frame. Among these tools are a saw, a serrated blade, a fine-edge blade, multiple screwdrivers, and a file. Whether you need to saw through a branch, cut rope, tighten a loose screw on your equipment, or smooth out a rough surface, the MP600 has you covered. The inclusion of both fine and serrated blades ensures versatility for various cutting tasks.

Another noteworthy feature of the Gerber MP600 is its integrated tool kit. Hidden within the handles of the multi-tool are various screwdriver bits that can be swapped out as needed. This feature makes it an excellent choice for professionals who require a range of screwdriver options in a single compact tool.

The Gerber MP600 is also designed with user convenience in mind. It features a lanyard ring, allowing it to be easily attached to a backpack, belt loop, or keychain. This accessibility ensures that the tool is always within reach when you need it most.

Furthermore, Gerber offers different variations of the MP600 to cater to various needs. For example, the MP600 Bladeless eliminates the traditional knife blades, making it a viable option for those who work in environments with strict blade restrictions.

In conclusion, the Gerber MP600 is a testament to the brand's commitment to crafting high-quality, versatile, and reliable multi-tools. Its rugged construction, one-handed deployment, extensive toolset, and integrated bit kit make it an essential companion for outdoor enthusiasts, professionals, and anyone seeking a dependable multi-tool for everyday use. Whether you're exploring the wilderness, tackling DIY projects, or navigating urban challenges, the Gerber MP600 is a tool that will never let you down. With its durability and functionality, it's a trusted companion for every adventure.

it's fascinating that it came up with such a realistic seeming article, but I doubt there are many members here that couldn't spot all of the boo boos in it.  I also have to wonder how much of the info was taken from MTO- I'm guessing the correct info is from us, and the stupid smurf is taken from elsewhere!  I can't imagine an MTO member talking about how great the one handed opening blade is on the MP600.   :facepalm:

While we may use some cool AI stuff in the future, I can guarantee you that all of the content you see here at MTO was, is, and probably always will be written by David Bowen, myself or another member who has actual, hands on, real world experience with the knife, tool, flashlight etc that we are talking about.

Multitool.org- where we don't need Artificial Incompetence.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: AI Vs MTO
Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 01:40:15 PM
I then asked it to write an IG post for the CRKT ZillaTool and this was the result:

Introducing the CRKT Zillatool - My Go-To EDC Multi-Tool! 🧰

Whether I'm exploring the great outdoors 🌲 or tackling everyday tasks, the CRKT Zillatool is always by my side. This sleek and versatile multi-tool is a game-changer, and here's why:

🔧 Built Tough: The Zillatool is crafted from high-quality stainless steel, ready to handle whatever life throws at it.

🔑 Compact & Lightweight: It's pocket-sized and won't weigh you down, making it the perfect everyday carry.

🔨 Multi-Functionality: From opening bottles to tightening screws and more, this tool does it all. Say goodbye to carrying around a bulky toolbox!

🔒 Secure Locking: The tools lock securely in place, ensuring safety during use.

🔦 Integrated LED: Need a light in a pinch? The built-in LED is a lifesaver!

💡 So, if you're like me and appreciate a reliable, compact, and versatile tool that's always ready for action, the CRKT Zillatool is a must-have addition to your EDC lineup. Get ready to tackle any challenge life throws your way!

#CRKT #Zillatool #EverydayCarry #MultiTool #HandyTools #AdventureReady #ToolTime #OutdoorGear #VersatileTools #EDC #StayPrepared

Obviously I have been using all of mine wrong as I have never even noticed the LED ight on it!   :D

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline zrxoa1

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 02:13:05 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 03:16:48 PM
I used it to see if it could help write some reviews and was blown away by how good they sounded. The only problem is they can't add real world usage to their input and go strictly from product info, still impressive. If they can make AI access the Internet, scour the net for product info and current reviews and create a new one from the info then it may write like it has the experience.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 03:21:33 PM
Here's one from a few weeks back I asked it to write of the Finch Shiv. You can tell AI what info it needs, what you don't want and tweak it, I think this came about after several prompts.

Introducing the Finch Shiv from the renowned Finch Co – a masterpiece of modern design with a nod to the history of prison shivs. Let's explore this exceptional everyday carry knife that brings together functionality, durability, and a touch of nostalgia.

The Finch Shiv derives its name from the historical significance of prison shivs, but let me be clear – we do not glorify their usage. Instead, we embrace the spirit of resourcefulness and adaptability exhibited by those who created them, and channel it into crafting a practical, reliable, and discreet everyday carry knife that you can be proud to own.

With an overall length of 6.5 inches and a sleek blade length of 2.8 inches, the Shiv strikes a perfect balance between compactness and functionality. It's incredibly easy to handle, fitting effortlessly into your pocket or bag for quick access whenever needed.

The handle, measuring 3.7 inches, boasts a thickness of 0.5 inches, providing a comfortable and secure grip. The Jade G10 handle material not only adds a touch of elegance but also ensures that the Shiv can withstand the challenges of daily use, just like its namesake.

The blade, with a height of 0.75 inches, is expertly crafted from 14c28n stainless steel, renowned for its excellent edge retention and corrosion resistance. Choose between the sleek satin or the bold black blade finish, both designed to impress.

Now, let's talk about how the Finch Shiv handles – it's nothing short of exceptional. The thoughtfully designed liner lock ensures a secure and reliable blade lock-up, instilling confidence with every use. The titanium tip-up pocket clip adds convenience, allowing you to carry the Shiv with ease and accessibility throughout the day.

The handle, measuring 3.7 inches, boasts a thickness of 0.5 inches, providing a comfortable and secure grip. The Jade G10 handle material not only adds a touch of elegance but also ensures that the Shiv can withstand the challenges of daily use, just like its namesake.

The attention to detail put into the Shiv's design and choice of materials reflects our commitment to providing you with a top-tier EDC tool. This knife isn't just a product – it's a symbol of pride and admiration for those who appreciate fine craftsmanship and value the spirit of resilience.

In conclusion, the Finch Shiv knives are an embodiment of history and ingenuity, crafted to meet the demands of modern EDC enthusiasts like you. With its premium materials, comfortable handling, and versatile design, this everyday carry knife is sure to make you proud. Embrace the spirit of the Finch Shiv – a testament to the past, built for your present, and ready to accompany you into the future.

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 03:35:42 PM
AI can write impressive, even professional, sounding stuff.  The problem is that it lies like a politician, too often conjuring inaccurate information out of thin air.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 04:07:19 PM
Crazy how close we are to SkyNet now  :ahhh

AI is very interesting and I just finally downloaded ChatGPT to see what it could really do and it is actually amazing  :ahhh it has taken me aback a few times and is also a bit worrisome though :facepalm: :D

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 08:12:41 PM
Okay, so the stuff written by me and other members is real, but it appears Dave is well on his way to being assimilated!

:borg:  :assimilate:

Well buddy, it was great while it lasted!   :ahhh

Def

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #8 on: September 04, 2023, 09:31:58 PM
Scary huh, almost sounds like I write it. Maybe I am being assimilated, I've got different AI apps on my phone that I mess with.

us Offline Fireman

• No Life Club
  • Truck Monkey
Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 09:48:57 PM
In a world where versatility and preparedness are highly valued, the Gerber MP600 stands as a shining example of a well-crafted multi-tool. This iconic piece of gear has earned its place in the hearts of outdoors enthusiasts, DIY aficionados, and professionals alike, thanks to its rugged design, ingenious features, and enduring reliability.

It reads like overzealous ad copy.  It's a versatile, ingenious, rugged, reliable, well-crafted, shining, iconic example.  Holy adjectives, Batman!  :facepalm:  My English professor would have beaten me with a stick.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 04, 2023, 10:51:56 PM
Yours too huh?

Frankly I think they sound like great ads for a product but it really isn't much of a review, let alone a critical review of saying what works and what doesn't.

Even getting past the incorrect info, it doesn't actually tell you anything, which defeats the purpose of a tool.  I have owned, handled and reviewed a smurfload of tools in my time, and none of them were perfect.  There's no such thing, and blowing smoke up people's asses like this AI is doing is irresponsible.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #11 on: September 04, 2023, 11:50:37 PM
Okay, this one is pretty good, even if it sounds an awful lot like the Gerber article above!

I asked it this time to create a FB post to promote MTO and this is what it came up with:

🛠️ Exciting News! 🛠️

Discover the ultimate resource for all things multitool-related at Multitool.org! Whether you're a DIY enthusiast, outdoor adventurer, or just love handy gadgets, Multitool.org is your go-to destination. 🔧🏞️

Join our community of multitool enthusiasts today and:

🔍 Explore in-depth reviews and comparisons of the latest multitools.
📚 Learn valuable tips and tricks for using your multitool effectively.
💬 Connect with like-minded multitool fans from around the world.
🎁 Stay updated on exclusive deals and giveaways.

Don't miss out on the chance to level up your multitool game! Visit Multitool.org now and become part of our multitool-loving family. 💪💼

#Multitool #DIY #OutdoorAdventure #HandyGadgets #MultitoolEnthusiast

Not too shabby really!

Def

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #12 on: September 05, 2023, 12:00:56 AM
It's coming, like it or not.  Domo Arigato.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #13 on: September 05, 2023, 09:36:56 PM
Okay, this one is pretty good, even if it sounds an awful lot like the Gerber article above!

I asked it this time to create a FB post to promote MTO and this is what it came up with:

Not too shabby really!

Def
Sounds great maybe we can use some of that

ie Offline Don Pablo

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Yoo-hoo, big summer blowout!
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2023, 09:51:03 PM
Language models are good for, well, language. They're excellent at arranging words in a realistic sounding order.
They fall apart as soon as information is required. :D
Hooked, like everyone else. ;)

All hail the hook!

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2023, 08:09:56 PM
Until Boston Dynamics develops a robot capable of handling a folding set of pliers or flip out a can opener from a Champion, I'm not that worried.

When you want REAL info from people who actually USE things, MTo may be the last bastion of hope!

Def

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #16 on: September 08, 2023, 01:32:49 PM

Not too shabby really!

Def

It forgot to mention the challenges   :pok:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 09, 2023, 03:51:24 PM
AI doesn't face any challenges since it killed John Connor!

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #18 on: September 12, 2023, 09:37:35 PM
It reads like overzealous ad copy.  It's a versatile, ingenious, rugged, reliable, well-crafted, shining, iconic example.  Holy adjectives, Batman!  :facepalm:  My English professor would have beaten me with a stick.

My Direct-reports keep trying to impress me with adjectives in their writing. They're young, they don't remember a world where only real estate agents used that many words to obscure the truth - and they get upset when I tell them to rewrite it with less garbage, because they genuinely believe they are being clever/doing the right thing by filling pages with bullsmurf.

On the upside, since most of the "AI" scours the sorts of websites that use that language (and then as the smurf-factory spits it out, scours its own content to make more....) it becomes reasonably easy to ignore anything (or anyone) that tries to communicate like that.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: January 06, 2024, 01:49:15 AM
Robots say the nicest things....

Megan asked ChatGPT to write an article about me:

"Unveiling the Versatility: Navigating the Multitool Realm with Grant Lamontagne's Spirit"

In the realm of multitools, where functionality meets innovation, one name shines bright – Grant Lamontagne. An aficionado of utility and a connoisseur of craftsmanship, Lamontagne has etched his mark on the multitool landscape through his platform, multitool.org, with a distinctive style that resonates with enthusiasts worldwide.

Grant Lamontagne's journey into the world of multitools is a testament to the allure of versatile instruments. His exploration of different models, brands, and functionalities mirrors the curiosity that drives multitool enthusiasts to seek the perfect companion for any task life throws their way.

What sets Lamontagne apart is not just his collection of tools but his insightful approach to reviewing and discussing them. His writings on multitool.org embody a passion for practicality, a love for the outdoors, and an appreciation for the fine details that elevate a tool from ordinary to exceptional.

Lamontagne's reviews are not mere evaluations; they're narratives that weave the story of each tool's journey from conception to execution. Whether exploring the intricacies of blade design, the ergonomics of handles, or the durability of materials, his analysis dives deep into the heart of what makes a multitool not just a gadget but an indispensable companion.

One of the key aspects of Lamontagne's style is his ability to translate technical details into relatable experiences. Reading his reviews is like embarking on a journey alongside him, feeling the weight of the tool in hand, experiencing the smoothness of its deployment, and envisioning the scenarios where it truly shines.

Lamontagne's appreciation for craftsmanship extends beyond the mainstream brands. He uncovers hidden gems, applauds innovative features, and encourages a diverse range of tools that cater to various needs. In doing so, he fosters a community that values both the iconic and the undiscovered, shaping the discourse around multitools into a celebration of versatility.

The multitool landscape evolves constantly, with new models emerging, and innovations pushing the boundaries of what's possible. Grant Lamontagne's presence in this dynamic arena serves as a guiding light, steering enthusiasts toward tools that not only meet their requirements but also enhance their everyday experiences.

As we navigate the vast universe of multitools, Grant Lamontagne's spirit remains embedded in the essence of exploration, discovery, and an unyielding passion for the tools that accompany us through life's myriad adventures. His legacy is not just in the tools he reviews, but in the inspiration he imparts to a community that shares his zest for the multifaceted world of multitools.

Awwww shucks.

Def

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2024, 11:36:55 AM
as you know, my recent ventures have been into canoeing - and any new purchase requires reading a lot of reviews (well, it doesn't, but I do it anyway)
and it is tiring how much "content" is either written by AI, or is crap copy by people who may as well be personality-free machines for all they bring to the table.

Scouring through the amazon-reviews, sales generated bullsmurf, and "AI" nonsense to find something written by a human who has actually used the product is a tiring chore.

Fortunately, you can generally tell in the first sentence or two - no actual human uses the excessive adjectives found in AI smurf or Real Estate ad style drivel, and you get pretty good at ignoring either fake content, or content written by people you wouldn't be interested in anyway.

I'm still a lurker at MT.O after all these years, because despite some things I don't really agree with, at least I know what I'm reading was written by a real person, somewhere, doing it because they want to, not because they are programmed to, or are being paid to.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2024, 03:04:32 PM
as you know, my recent ventures have been into canoeing - and any new purchase requires reading a lot of reviews (well, it doesn't, but I do it anyway)
and it is tiring how much "content" is either written by AI, or is crap copy by people who may as well be personality-free machines for all they bring to the table.

Scouring through the amazon-reviews, sales generated bullsmurf, and "AI" nonsense to find something written by a human who has actually used the product is a tiring chore.

Fortunately, you can generally tell in the first sentence or two - no actual human uses the excessive adjectives found in AI smurf or Real Estate ad style drivel, and you get pretty good at ignoring either fake content, or content written by people you wouldn't be interested in anyway.

I'm still a lurker at MT.O after all these years, because despite some things I don't really agree with, at least I know what I'm reading was written by a real person, somewhere, doing it because they want to, not because they are programmed to, or are being paid to.

FILE ERROR.
DOES NOT COMPUTE.

Def

us Offline BPRoberts

• No Life Club
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2024, 03:56:50 PM
My Direct-reports keep trying to impress me with adjectives in their writing. They're young, they don't remember a world where only real estate agents used that many words to obscure the truth - and they get upset when I tell them to rewrite it with less garbage, because they genuinely believe they are being clever/doing the right thing by filling pages with bullsmurf.

On the upside, since most of the "AI" scours the sorts of websites that use that language (and then as the smurf-factory spits it out, scours its own content to make more....) it becomes reasonably easy to ignore anything (or anyone) that tries to communicate like that.

I recently finished up a writing program in grad school, and apparently that's what they're teaching now. When I was in undergrad, high school, etc. the rule was to cut what you could, understated was best, etc. Now professors are looking for you to write these long sentences full of pointless details.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2024, 04:35:41 PM

I wholeheartedly agree, I myself have played around with AI to see if it could help write reviews. It's too vague, lacks any warmth and feels robotic. I initially thought, hey these reviews sound good, but the more I read they generalize and overly sensationalize the product. I know sometimes I can get wordy and overzealous in my writing but you can tell there's a person writing them.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

no Offline Vidar

• No Life Club
Reply #24 on: January 08, 2024, 01:06:27 AM
With steel there is a peculiar line drawn at the first nuclear bomb test. Apparently after that it has always been some radioactive waste in the atmosphere, and it has been impossible to make steel without any radioactive inclusions ever since. Thus those who really need that are very fond of steel made before that time.

I wonder if there will be a similar line drawn with AI - only data before a certain time can be said to safe from AI input.

Starting out AI has also been trained on historical texts and actual human input in various forms online. But as more and more online information is written by AI they will end up in this weird loop of trying to train themselves using their own previous output as relevant reference input for training. I imagine this could lead to some rather degenerative feedback loops.
"Simple is hard"
"Hard is hard too"
(Partial disclosure: I design tools for a living).

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: February 19, 2024, 01:05:23 PM
Having some fun with ChatGPT this morning,  Once again, it's a great tool, and in time I think it will be fantastic.  For now though, I think the true life experiences of the folks here at MTO are pretty safe!

At first I asked what the functions of the Victorinox Dual Pro were and this was the response:

The Victorinox Dual Pro is a multi-functional tool designed for various tasks. Its functions typically include:

Knife blade: Typically, the Dual Pro includes a sharp knife blade suitable for cutting tasks.

Screwdriver: It may feature a flat-head screwdriver or a Phillips screwdriver for tightening or loosening screws.

Can opener: This tool usually includes a can opener for opening canned goods.

Bottle opener: It often has a bottle opener for opening bottles with crown caps.

Wire stripper: Some models include a wire stripper for removing the insulation from wires.

Tweezers: A pair of tweezers are often included for picking up small objects or for first aid purposes.

Keyring: The tool may feature a keyring attachment for easy carrying.

These functions make the Victorinox Dual Pro a versatile and handy tool for various everyday tasks and outdoor activities.

Largely correct, but ignores the defining tool of the Dual Pro, namely the second, serrated blade.

Not too bad though- with a small amount of editing, this could be convincing.

So I tried again, asking it a question that has raged here since the inception of MTO- what is better, the SwissTool Spirit or Leatherman Wave?  This is the response:

Determining whether the SwissTool Spirit or the Leatherman Wave is "better" depends on your specific needs and preferences. Both tools are highly regarded multi-tools, each with its own strengths.

The SwissTool Spirit, made by Victorinox, is known for its high-quality construction, precise engineering, and sleek design. It offers a variety of tools and functions, including pliers, screwdrivers, blades, and more, all of which are accessible without unfolding the tool. The Spirit is often favored for its durability and precision.

On the other hand, the Leatherman Wave is a popular choice known for its versatility and extensive toolset. It features a wide range of tools accessible from the outside, including pliers, knives, saws, scissors, and more. The Wave is often praised for its ergonomic design, ease of use, and rugged build quality.

To determine which tool is "better" for you, consider factors such as the specific tools and functions you need, your budget, ergonomics, build quality, and any personal preferences you may have. It's also helpful to read reviews and compare specifications to see which tool aligns best with your requirements. Ultimately, both the SwissTool Spirit and the Leatherman Wave are excellent multi-tools, and the "better" choice depends on your individual needs and preferences.

I agree with this pretty well entirely, although I do feel some of the details are off.  Bear in mind, that while I prefer the Spirit (and therefore may be a bit biased in my interpretation) I have a massive amount of respect for the Wave as well.

That said however....

The bit about he Wave having a versatile and extensive tool set with a wide range of tools accessible from the outside seems like a bit of a slap in the Spirit's face since it actually has a greater number of functions, many with multiple functions, providing a wider array of versatility, and all of them being accessible from the outside. 

And the ergonomics of the Wave being better than the Spirit? 

I'm not knocking the Wave, it just seems odd to me that the things that ChatGPT thinks are points the Wave has over the Spirit are actually pints for the Spirit.

If I wanted to compare the two and pint out the favorable points of the Wave, I'd point out the OH opening plain and serrated blades, the jimping on the serrated blade spine for easier identification and the replaceable wire cutters found on the Wave +. 

Also, if one really wanted to get into the nitty gritty (something MTO members are excellent at, I may add!) the Wave is better for holding on to in a wet environment as the additional texture offered by all the cutouts makes for a firmer grip than the Spirit, which is well known to be extremely sleek and polished.

But I absolutely agree with ChatGPT's comments regarding the best one being the one that has the toolset that best suits your needs- it must have gotten that tidbit from the wonderful folks here at MTO- while we have never really settled the Wave Vs Spirit debate, that was the conclusion that we came up with years ago!

Def

us Offline MadPlumbarian

• Point Of No Return
  • Plumbers Know Their Crap!!
Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 02:10:14 PM
Ok, maybe it’s because I just woke up and can’t see straight, but what the heck’s going on, we’re battling “artificial intelligence” :think:
JR
"The-Mad-Plumbarian" The Punisher Of Pipes!!! JR
As I sit on my Crapper Throne in the Reading Room and explode on the Commode, thinking, how my flush beat John’s and Jerry’s pair? Jack’s had to run for the Water Closet yet ended up tripping on a Can bowing and hitting his Head on the Porcelain God! 🚽

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: February 19, 2024, 04:59:07 PM
I'm not sure "battling" is the right word.

Most websites nowadays, especially those updated frequently (think multiple times per day) feature articles written by AI services like ChatGPT.

We don't do that at MTO nor do I intend to start any time soon, although I do use ChatGPT for other things in my life

This thread is just here for some fun examples of what happens when you use AI to write articles for your site- it can give you the bulk of it, but really misses details, like the ones I have pointed out above.

But, it's a tool, and like any other, it will get better and better until we wonder what we ever did without it.  In the meantime, you have my word that MTO reviews, articles, editorials etc will all be done by a living, breathing person who has actually handled and used the product in question

Def

us Offline King_Gorilla

Reply #28 on: February 19, 2024, 11:28:41 PM
Reading this post got me curious. 
I asked an AI image generator to make a new "Leatherman style plier based multi tool with a blade and a hook"  just to see what it would come up with. 

:multi:

Promising???   :think:      :dunno:

* AI tool.jpg (Filesize: 109.68 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: February 20, 2024, 12:11:41 AM
That is kind of cool looking, although I am a bit confused as to how to use it!   :ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%