Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Tactiman multitool

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Tactiman multitool
on: September 08, 2023, 11:07:44 AM
Every now and then I see a cheapo multitool advertised and I think about giving it a shot to see what it’s actually like- rarely am I ever disappointed, in that these cheapos are usually every bit as bad as I expected them to be.

On rare occasions, you find something like the Tactiman, a tool that exceeded my expectations.

Def

* Tactiman-1.jpg (Filesize: 102.89 KB)

* Tactiman-10.jpg (Filesize: 102.97 KB)

* Tactiman-11.jpg (Filesize: 108.91 KB)

* Tactiman-12.jpg (Filesize: 109.14 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Re: Tactiman multitool
Reply #1 on: September 08, 2023, 11:15:47 AM
According to the ads, the Tactiman comes with plain and serrated blades, fish hook remover, bottle opener, wire stripper and scissors, and from the photos, it looks similar to the Gerber Armbar series, which I rather like.

As usual, the photos show someone doing all kinds of neat things with the tools and it even has a breakdown on the site of each tool and how it functions.

Gerber isn’t the only company that influenced this design- the scissors are very reminiscent, at least in in locking mechanism, to the Leatherman Surge, in that they don’t lock until fully extended and the free leg of the scissors is extended.

Def

* Tactiman-15.jpg (Filesize: 117.25 KB)

* Tactiman-17.jpg (Filesize: 147.81 KB)

* Tactiman-3.jpg (Filesize: 57.1 KB)

* Tactiman-4.jpg (Filesize: 118.4 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #2 on: September 08, 2023, 11:18:06 AM
But that is pretty well where the similarities end.

The Tactiman that arrived may look similar to the one in the ad, but is actually quite different.
It is a perfect example of why you should stick to the name brands- at least you are likely to actually get what you ordered. :facepalm:

For one, the Tactiman I got is missing the saw and serrated blade, and the can opener is quite different- in fact it is a bottle opener with integrated screwdriver and not a can opener at all. 

And, instead of the serrated blade and saw, it features  Phillips screwdriver, which, if I’m honest, is probably going to be more useful for me than the saw and serrated blade would be.  It’s still not what was advertised.

Def

* Tactiman-5.jpg (Filesize: 116.32 KB)

* Tactiman-8.jpg (Filesize: 105.87 KB)

* Tactiman-9.jpg (Filesize: 106.51 KB)

* Tactiman-7.jpg (Filesize: 82.68 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #3 on: September 08, 2023, 11:19:56 AM
First off, the Tactiman is quite a bit larger than the Armbar series, so if you are looking for a cheaper version of one, find a used Armbar or buy one on sale rather than grabbing one of these. 
Getting away from comparing the Tactiman to other tools and looking at it on it’s own right, I would still recommend looking elsewhere.

The blade is surprisingly sharp… in some spots.  If you average out the whole edge, it’s almost passably sharp out of the box, but I wouldn’t get this to cut more than butter, soft cheeses and opening envelopes that have been softened by a torrential downpour.

The one handed opening function is smooth for almost twenty five degrees, at which point it grinds to a halt- emphasis on the grind.

The scissors weren’t bad.  Not great, but good enough to actually function, which is nice.

Def

* Tactiman-13.jpg (Filesize: 77.79 KB)

* Tactiman-14.jpg (Filesize: 76.27 KB)

* Tactiman-16.jpg (Filesize: 73.69 KB)

* Tactiman-18.jpg (Filesize: 80.88 KB)

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 08, 2023, 11:23:25 AM
And the pocket clip did a good job of clipping to my pocket, and the glass breaker did a good job of putting a small divot in a plastic table, which is great news if you have been looking for a device that was excellent at…. Putting small divots into plastic tables.

The thing is, the Armbar series, which this is doing a poor job of copying, is not far off the price of the Tactiman, so just buy an Armbar.  Or better yet, for a fraction of the cost of the Tactiman, buy a Spartan like in Dr. Pepper in the above photos.  Trust me, in the case of the Tactiman, you'd rather be a pepper too.

Def

* Tactiman-2.jpg (Filesize: 68.25 KB)

* Tactiman-6.jpg (Filesize: 78.15 KB)

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #5 on: September 08, 2023, 02:02:58 PM
Every now and then I see a cheapo multitool advertised and I think about giving it a shot to see what it’s actually like- rarely am I ever disappointed, in that these cheapos are usually every bit as bad as I expected them to be.

On rare occasions, you find something like the Tactiman, a tool that exceeded my expectations.

Def

Soooo... it's mucho más bad than expected, yes?

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 02:16:45 PM
More more badder than even my grammar!   :D

I've never seen the one handed partially opening feature used this ineffectively before.   :facepalm:

Also, the opening hole was cut out and never tumbled, and as a result, has a nice burr that is likely to cut your thumb long before you get to cut anything else with it.

Given how bad the quality varies from one tool to the next with this kind of thing, I actually bought two, and they seem to be consistently bad at least. 

Def

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #7 on: September 08, 2023, 03:50:22 PM
More more badder than even my grammar!   :D

I've never seen the one handed partially opening feature used this ineffectively before.   :facepalm:

Also, the opening hole was cut out and never tumbled, and as a result, has a nice burr that is likely to cut your thumb long before you get to cut anything else with it.

Given how bad the quality varies from one tool to the next with this kind of thing, I actually bought two, and they seem to be consistently bad at least. 

Def
You know what we say, about "two is one and one is none"? In this case, seems "two is none and one is too much".

:facepalm:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 06:15:39 PM
I may have to get that engraved on it.

I have to say, I don't know if this thing is actually that bad, all kidding aside.  I don't think it's great and I wouldn't put someone down for having/using it.

I just don't see the point of it.  For similar money there are much better options, and I'm also maybe a bit annoyed that they showed one thing and sent another.  I really hate bait and switch.

Def

us Offline cody6268

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #9 on: September 08, 2023, 06:41:51 PM
That looks like half of my A-Tech, one of the few cheap tools I like. However, I only paid $10 for it, and while good for the price, it is lacking behind even a cheap Kobalt I have (which I know lasts--had a buddy who carried one for HVAC work for 15 years)--and way behind any Leatherman, Victorinox, Gerber, or even import Gerber. 34 CAD is high, and the 62 CAD MSRP is insane.

I wish the "big boys" would start putting EMS-shear-style scissors in their tools like they did. It's better for cutting around skin or anything you don't want to scratch or poke a hole in.

Speaking of the Armbar, have you tried the Armbar Trade? Been thinking about getting one to pair with pliers as my new farm work carry.

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #10 on: September 20, 2023, 12:53:10 AM
Just checking this out :whistle: :oops:

Adam sent me something similar and I took the glass breaker out of it and ground it to fit one of my Charge Knives :woohoo: tried to move the scissors as well but they were too wide to go and I only found that out after gaining it down :facepalm: :D

I was also surprised that it wasn't as bad as I thought either :tu: :like:

Offline mikekoz

Reply #11 on: October 02, 2023, 04:42:32 AM
I own several tools like this, one that I just picked up has a 1/4 inch driver on it like the Armbar except it does not fold up on you when you put just a little pressure on it. It does not lock, but snaps into place firmly. I only paid about $15.00 for it also. The rest of the tools lock and the knife and scissors out cut my Armbar. The other tools are also a bit better and it cost me less than half of what I paid for the Armbar. The only thing I use on the Gerber now is the blade. The spring on the scissors now will fold up over them while in use. Bending it a little bit helps but it still has problems. This is the only Gerber tool I have ever had problems with.   :(

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%