Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Why is the Core criticized for...

Offline rockyman500

Why is the Core criticized for...
on: February 07, 2009, 08:12:22 PM
being a "no-nonsense" tool? In the review, it says it has been seriously outdated...But the Powerlock and Swisstool have about the same features and aren't criticized for it at all...
[

us Offline donvito

• No Life Club
Re: Why is the Core criticized for...
Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 08:16:12 PM
Powerlock has the compound leverage, and Swiss Tool has the locking, outside opening implements, plus it being the first mt from Vic. 

Offline rockyman500

Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 08:22:18 PM
ok, scratch swisstool...but the powerlock TOOLS aren't criticized
[

england Offline Dunc

• Admin Team
  • Zombie Apprentice
  • Aggressive in defence
Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 08:25:28 PM
Sometines the Core gets slated unfairly . It doesn't have any 'Special ' features but its big , strong with a good selection of tools .Its a serious tool .

Dunc

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 08:28:28 PM
being a "no-nonsense" tool? In the review, it says it has been seriously outdated...But the Powerlock and Swisstool have about the same features and aren't criticized for it at all...

I like it's lack of whizz bang gadgetry. I'm not so keen on it's width is all.
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 09:58:03 PM

I like it's lack of whizz bang gadgetry. I'm not so keen on it's width is all.

Ditto I love it's tools and size but it's much wider than the original  Supertool ::) still a great tool :tu:

england Offline DaveK

• Zombie Apprentice
  • Sing, Michael, sing. On the route of the 19 Bus!
Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:28 PM
You won't find me criticising the Core much - it's brilliant.
I used to come here a lot.

ca Offline Sean

• No Life Club
Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:39 PM

I think with the amount of members on this forum they could pick apart any tool.  Some of it of conern to a few and some of it not.
I think with either Leatherman, Sog, Gerber, Victorinox etc that when you buy a tool from one of those companies you are getting a good quality tool.
I think that having "no tool" would be a bad thing. :)  I have a multi tool from each of the above companies except from Gerber and that sould be arriving soon.  I enjoy each one and carry a different tool each day.   Although I can't comment on your tool the Core because I dont' own one I am sure it's a great Leatherman tool from the little I have read on it.

Sean
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 10:42:31 PM by Sean »

gb Online Magic Bus

• No Life Club
  • Ruler of the E01 society!!
Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 10:44:10 PM

I think with the amount of members on this forum they could pick apart any tool.  Some of it of conern to a few and some of it not.
I think with either Leatherman, Sog, Gerber, Victorinox etc that when you buy a tool from one of those companies you are getting a good quality tool.
I think that having "no tool" would be a bad thing. :)  I have a multi tool from each of the above companies except from Gerber and that sould be arriving soon.  I enjoy each one and carry a different tool each day.   Although I can't comment on your tool the Core because I dont' own one I am sure it's a great Leatherman tool from the little I have read on it.

Sean

Agreed
Gabba gabba hey!!

us Offline Splat

Reply #9 on: February 08, 2009, 02:45:20 AM
The Core is among the best out there. If there was one thing I could change it would be to have outside-opening implements. The strength and selection of the implements themselves and overall is top-shelf.
Splat

Offline Leatherman123

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 03:21:38 AM
Tbh, I don't know what your talking about! Sure, Def said it was a "no nonsense tool" and he was right; but no one criticizes it. The reason one could say it is outdated is because it has internal implements, no bit drivers, no one handed blades, no premium knife steel, and no assisted opening blades (which are ridiculous to say the least!). So yeah, the Core is my "go to" tool.. It just works. It's not fancy or cunning; it is just a hardworking tool with useful implements.. The screwdrivers are the best, the knife blades are the longest (on any folding tool), and it has some great features like a stranded wire cutter and a few others... The Core, IMO, is better than the SURGE from a general standpoint.. You need to use the Core for awhile to appreciate it's simplicity and ease of use.. Rant over!
B

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 05:06:38 AM
I like the Core because it was the subject of this weird internet vendetta/meme where a series of topics were started on a few boards mentioning it had "soft drivers" with the only evidence being links to the other boards with topics that said the same thing.

That said, the Core; inside opening tools? heavy? no style?

What, is SOG making tools for Leatherman now?

*cue rimshot exit stage left

scotland Offline Sea Monster

• No Life Club
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2009, 05:34:32 AM
I like the Core because it was the subject of this weird internet vendetta/meme where a series of topics were started on a few boards mentioning it had "soft drivers" with the only evidence being links to the other boards with topics that said the same thing.

Eh Wot?

Multitools have broad enough online appeal to be the root of an internet meme?

Sir, I call you a liar. (either that, or it's time I quit multitools and find something even more obscure to think about)

us Offline Spoonrobot

• No Life Club
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2009, 06:02:00 AM
Well...a small one that apparently no one else noticed.   :-[

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2009, 08:50:37 AM
I think we are talking about two different things- when I said "no nonsense" I meant that there were no fancy gimmicks to the Core, and that it was just a straight up, solid tool.  That's not to say that some tools with distinctive features (or gimmicks) aren't solid tools, just that the Core is very plain, with nothing to make it stand out.

When I said outdated, well, it's using an older style (yet still effective) locking system, the implements and the plier head are all fairly standard, and have been for some time.  Comparing the Core to the Surge for example, you can see the updated design and features of the Charge, such as the interchangeable saws, one handed opening blades, bit drivers etc, while the Core is more or less a bigger version of the old PST.

The PowerLock is IMHO also a very dated design and desperately needs an upgrade.  The 2.0 I think is a step in the right direction, but I'd like to see the line redesigned rather than just having a couple of ugly (but functional!) covers put over the gears and cutting the old style lock lengthwise so it looks more advanced.  Looking at the Paladin line of tools shows what could be possible, but as of yet there really doesn't seem like much hope.  The Core, much like the PowerLock is a good, solid, functional tool, but with some of the other offerings from some of the other manufacturers, well by comparison it's a bit plain and dated.

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline EZ822

Reply #15 on: February 08, 2009, 05:46:40 PM
I believe in order to appreciate the Core you have to use it everyday to see how solid and reliable it is. It truly is the working class hero of multitools. Little recognition but does the job day in and day out.
Erick

Offline DoughDTD

• One is never enough!
Reply #16 on: February 08, 2009, 06:43:12 PM
The Core is better than the SURGE
What what what!! I never thought I would see those words from LM123!! If anyone of you know him and his love for the surge, this statement alone should be enough to convince you the Core is a great tool.  Personally, I see no-nonsense as being a good thing, not a negative thing.  It means there no gimmicks, no tricks, just a solid working tool that will always get the job done....which is exactly what it is!  That reminds me...i gotta pick one up one of these days!! >:D

-Dough
W

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21