Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not Pretty

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Not Pretty
on: September 27, 2023, 03:05:28 PM
    Might need to see some ugly tools for a change.  The Crescent (Jamestown, NY) is a 6 inch.  It belonged to my old Uncle Rob.  I got a nice 12 inch from him as well.  The 6 is rough, but works well. 
    The screwdriver is an old Stanley.  I use it every day for something.  I scraped mud off wheels yesterday and will open a paint can with it today probably.  Handle will be used to beat the can closed again.  It stays along with the Crescent right at the back door on a window sill.  Need a tool outside, reach in the back door and there they are.  The screwdriver has been used and misused in every sort of way including killing ticks.  It is also used to hold a hasp shut instead of using a padlock or something.  Beat to death.  Still working.  Best wishes. G

not pretty.jpg
* not pretty.jpg (Filesize: 235.36 KB)

us Offline powernoodle

• Absolutely No Life Club
Re: Not Pretty
Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 03:14:51 PM
 :like:

They have character, and tools like that take on a life of their own when you use them frequently.   :cheers:

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 04:23:37 PM
     I had some fellows doing some house repair and painting a few years ago.  They didn't bring anything to eat.  Didn't bring a paint brush on one occasion.  One told me all about the high-priced knives he had.  I had to loan him a knife, since he didn't carry one and had to cut some rosin paper.  Not even a Stanley utility like every other workman in the world.  They wound up using my tools to a certain extent.  Didn't have a tool to open the paint.  I brought out Stanley.  Stanley looked lots newer at that point.  The young man looked at it and horse laughed.  Said it looked like it had been through a war.  He did use it to open the paint which was the whole idea.
     I scraped paint a while this morning.  Used the ugly screwdriver to open the paint as promised.  Taking a water break.  I'm in no hurry.  Best wishes.  Gary (IMR)

us Offline smiller43147

• No Life Club
Reply #3 on: September 29, 2023, 04:21:21 AM
I'll bet like me, most of the folks on this forum have our good tools, and our beaters.  They aren't pretty, or necessarily the top of the line, but handy to have as a loaner or when a dirty job comes along.
- Steve

us Offline IMR4198

• No Life Club
Reply #4 on: September 29, 2023, 02:01:53 PM
    My neighbor started selling knives at a local flea market after he retired.  The old fellow who had a booth across the way died, and two older women bought the stock from it.  Lots of golf clubs.  They found his old antique tools (that he also sold) and figured the rusty relics were junk.  They loaded up the lot and took them to the dumpsters.  One box of screwdrivers might be useful to someone, they figured.  So they gave it to my neighbor. 
    He let some of his friends sort through the box and take a screwdriver for free.  He told me to take whatever I wanted.  I took a half dozen maybe.  He kept a few for himself, then got tired of lugging it around and gave me what was left of the box.  More than a hundred screwdrivers.  Good ones, old ones, junk.  I kept maybe a dozen more, then swapped the rest for something or other.  Stanley was in that lot.  Best wishes.  G

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%