Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not my best day

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Not my best day
on: September 28, 2023, 03:49:29 PM
Yesterday work got just a little too exciting.

It's all fixed now, we are all okay and it wasn't anywhere near as bad as it looked thankfully!

Make sure to check your lug nuts at least once a month!

Def

* 16959089275380.jpg (Filesize: 181.78 KB)

* 16959089276101.jpg (Filesize: 233.63 KB)

* 16959089276562.jpg (Filesize: 214.27 KB)
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline David Bowen

• Multitool Enthusiast
  • Admin Team
  • No Life Club
  • Site Manager
Re: Not my best day
Reply #1 on: September 28, 2023, 04:00:33 PM
OMG, glad your ok buddy, guess I'll check my today.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

fi Offline Antti Lammi

• No Life Club
  • Only Tools Matters
Reply #2 on: September 28, 2023, 04:19:01 PM
Ouch, im happy that nothing else happened, after reading this need to check lugs myself too on our cars

Only Tools Matters

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #3 on: September 28, 2023, 04:20:12 PM
Auts! Glad that no one got hurt!
What happened? Loose wheel nuts?

Lähetetty minun SM-T515 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

by this axe I rule

us Offline Poncho65

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #4 on: September 28, 2023, 04:26:49 PM
Oh wow! :ahhh Glad everyone is ok :salute: Also, glad it wasn't worse :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #5 on: September 28, 2023, 04:40:02 PM
Auts! Glad that no one got hurt!
What happened? Loose wheel nuts?

I think the lug nuts must have vibrated loose with all of the off road driving I do at work.  I just replaced the two front tires so I thought maybe I just hadn't been diligent in checking them, but according to my mechanic, all my wheels were loose.   :ahhh

It could have been very bad indeed, as this happened on an on ramp to the highway.  If it had happened 20 seconds later I'd have been going MUCH faster. 

It was just me and a very tiny dog in the Jeep, and we are both okay.  The dog was so traumatized that he was chewing on a bone while we waited for the tow truck.   :D

Then we went to a strange place where he met a shop kitty and peed in a stranger's yard and all was fine.  :doggy:

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Alan K.

• Thread Killer 2019
  • Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #6 on: September 28, 2023, 05:25:51 PM
Glad you weren't hurt.  Meeting a shop kitty and peeing in a stranger's yard always makes me feel better too.

fi Offline old Lefty

• No Life Club
  • Brick Bradford of multitool universe
Reply #7 on: September 28, 2023, 05:32:56 PM
Glad you weren't hurt.  Meeting a shop kitty and peeing in a stranger's yard always makes me feel better too.
No bone for you then?

by this axe I rule

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 05:40:24 PM
Could it have been the work of one of your enemies on MTO?   :dunno:

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 05:52:27 PM
Oh wow! :ahhh Glad everyone is ok :salute: Also, glad it wasn't worse :tu:

+1

:cheers: :tu:

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 05:53:55 PM
For me, it's meeting a kitty in a yard and peeing in a stranger's shop.

:dunno: :salute:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 05:54:43 PM
Could it have been the work of one of your enemies on MTO?   :dunno:
Nah, I don't think so. You're the only one and you're too far away...

:whistle:

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 05:59:54 PM
I'm Grant's #1 advocate and protector! 

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 06:02:37 PM
Funny you should mention that.  I told someone else yesterday that it was either vibrations from driving on site or some incompetent assassin.

I really wish my enemies wouldn't get their henchmen from Wish.

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #14 on: September 28, 2023, 06:03:28 PM
Sorry, Hench people.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #15 on: September 28, 2023, 06:31:41 PM
D'OH!  Glad you and the tiny dog are OK!

I think the lug nuts must have vibrated loose with all of the off road driving I do at work.

:think: I would more suspect that they weren't properly torqued the last time that wheel was mounted.  You're right, they should be checked a few times a year at least, but usually rotations occur frequently enough to take care of that.
- Terry

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #16 on: September 28, 2023, 06:46:45 PM
A few years ago I changed a tire (tyre?), and even though I thought I had cranked them down properly, shortly thereafter the nuts were so loose that the wheel almost fell off.  They magically loosen up after that initial installation.  In a separate instance, Costco installed new tires, and told me to come back in a few days to get them checked because they can loosen up.

"IncompetentAssassin" and "HenchPeople" would be great names for new MTO members.  :tu:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #17 on: September 28, 2023, 07:33:32 PM
D'OH!  Glad you and the tiny dog are OK!

:think: I would more suspect that they weren't properly torqued the last time that wheel was mounted.  You're right, they should be checked a few times a year at least, but usually rotations occur frequently enough to take care of that.

If they had been done at the same time I'd be more suspect of this.

The back tires haven't been off or changed in months and the front tires are new within the last month.

The rear tires were put on by the garage whenever the last time was and I put the front ones on myself recently. 

It seems odd that they would all be more or less equally problematic if that was the case.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #18 on: September 28, 2023, 09:09:28 PM
I'm just going by what I've experienced.  In all the years I've been off-roading, I've never had lug nuts work themselves loose if they were torqued evenly to spec.

I have, however, realized not long after doing a rotation that I had snugged them, then torqued them but missed using the torque wrench on one wheel.  In my case I realized it before it came off though, due to noise and vibration.

:dunno:  pure speculation.  No way of really knowing...

EDIT:  Ah, I missed the part in your second post where you said they were all loose, and you basically had the same thought I did.  Yep, that's a problem.  One difference is I use steel wheels on the Jeep and Bronco, and they typically have a higher torque spec than aluminum.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2023, 09:15:50 PM by NutSAK »
- Terry

us Offline SteveC

• Global Moderator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #19 on: September 28, 2023, 11:32:23 PM
Close call, glad you are okay ! 

Offline MrToolJunkie

Reply #20 on: September 29, 2023, 06:16:40 AM
Scary...I had that happen once on the freeway and it is no fun. Glad you are ok.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #21 on: September 29, 2023, 09:15:52 AM
I'm just going by what I've experienced.  In all the years I've been off-roading, I've never had lug nuts work themselves loose if they were torqued evenly to spec.

I have, however, realized not long after doing a rotation that I had snugged them, then torqued them but missed using the torque wrench on one wheel.  In my case I realized it before it came off though, due to noise and vibration.

:dunno:  pure speculation.  No way of really knowing...

EDIT:  Ah, I missed the part in your second post where you said they were all loose, and you basically had the same thought I did.  Yep, that's a problem.  One difference is I use steel wheels on the Jeep and Bronco, and they typically have a higher torque spec than aluminum.

Another piece of the puzzle is that most folks drive off road on weekends.  I don't 12 hours a day, five days a week at work.  Things that are rare problems for most of road vehicles are commonplace for me.

Def

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #22 on: September 29, 2023, 02:14:54 PM
Yeah, I suppose that's a factor as well! Since you do it every day, I suppose you also don't air down. That's another factor, as road pressures will cause a lot more vibration.
- Terry

no Offline aicolainen

Reply #23 on: September 29, 2023, 02:20:31 PM
Glad you're OK.

Never had this happen myself, but we had a near miss this summer.

I had to catch a plane back from summer vacation this year due to some urgent matters at work, so my girlfriend and kids drove the 4WD home without me.
As we don't drive the 4WD a lot in day to day life, I hadn't yet controlled the bolt torque after changing back to summer tires this spring. It was in the back of my head for all of our road trip, but everytime we stopped it slipped my attention.

Gf called me on the phone when they had covered about half the distance and said there were some weird vibrations in the car. I told her where she could find the necessary tools and asked her to tighten all the bolts on all of the wheels.
She called me back when she had checked the bolts on the right side tires, because she could sense the vibrations originating from the area around the rear tire on the right hand side. Nothing was loose, so she suspected there was something else wrong. I insisted that she check all the bolts on all the wheels before we investigated other possible issues. A little while later she called me back, totally freaked out. All the bolts on the front left tire had been completely loose.

So glad she didn't hesitate to call, and that I always keep enough tools in the car to open up a small shop.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #24 on: September 29, 2023, 05:34:09 PM
Yeah, I suppose that's a factor as well! Since you do it every day, I suppose you also don't air down. That's another factor, as road pressures will cause a lot more vibration.

My mechanic, a Jeep speSmurfpillst, always asks me how I manage to break so much and get so dirty.  Bear in mind, he is THE GUY for all Jeep and off road related stuff for a hundred miles.

I tell him that the trails everyone else takes on the weekend are a typical Tuesday for me.

And yeah, I'm not airing 35 inch tires up and down several times a day.   :ahhh

Def

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #25 on: September 29, 2023, 05:36:57 PM
Glad you're OK.

Never had this happen myself, but we had a near miss this summer.

I had to catch a plane back from summer vacation this year due to some urgent matters at work, so my girlfriend and kids drove the 4WD home without me.
As we don't drive the 4WD a lot in day to day life, I hadn't yet controlled the bolt torque after changing back to summer tires this spring. It was in the back of my head for all of our road trip, but everytime we stopped it slipped my attention.

Gf called me on the phone when they had covered about half the distance and said there were some weird vibrations in the car. I told her where she could find the necessary tools and asked her to tighten all the bolts on all of the wheels.
She called me back when she had checked the bolts on the right side tires, because she could sense the vibrations originating from the area around the rear tire on the right hand side. Nothing was loose, so she suspected there was something else wrong. I insisted that she check all the bolts on all the wheels before we investigated other possible issues. A little while later she called me back, totally freaked out. All the bolts on the front left tire had been completely loose.

So glad she didn't hesitate to call, and that I always keep enough tools in the car to open up a small shop.

I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay!

Its horrible to think that something simple slipping your mind could have disastrous consequences like that.  I'm happy to hear it worked out well though, as it means you aren't likely to forget that again- every time you go near a tire she will be watching you like a hawk!

:D

Def

us Offline nate j

• No Life Club
Reply #26 on: September 29, 2023, 05:57:03 PM
Glad everyone is OK!

We use loose lug nut indicators on the big trucks at work.  Probably overkill for most passenger vehicles, but maybe worth a look if you regularly go off-roading and have a setup where you can see the lug nuts.

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #27 on: September 29, 2023, 07:00:31 PM
Everyone at work is now very paranoid about lug nuts.  One of the other people in my position almost experienced the same thing a whole ago, and everyone figures if it can happen to my big tough Jeep then it's only a matter of time before it happens to their vehicles, which consist of a Jeep Liberty, Ford Explorer, Honda CRV, Hyundai Santa Fe, GMC Sierra and a Hyundai Kona.

Def

us Offline WhichDawg

Reply #28 on: October 01, 2023, 05:06:47 AM
….wonders if Grant has recently signed a life insurance policy…  :ahhh

Glad your okay boss  :salute:

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
Reply #29 on: October 01, 2023, 01:16:12 PM
Not recently, but it is large anyway.  I'm worth WAY more dead than alive!

:ahhh

Def

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $168.99
PayPal Fees: $9.87
Net Balance: $159.12
Below Goal: $140.88
Site Currency: USD
53%