Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

Not my best day

au Offline gregozedobe

• Absolutely No Life Club
  • Apparently it is possible to have too many tools;)
Re: Not my best day
Reply #30 on: October 01, 2023, 02:05:19 PM
Hmmm, I'm usually paranoid about the opposite problem - over-tightened wheel log nuts/bolts.  After one of my (road only) cars has been in for a service or other work and I get it back home I always loosen and re-tighten all the wheel lug nuts/bolts.  I often find a some that are too tight (a few too many ugga-duggas on the air wrench), and very occasionally I find one that is too loose.  Either can be bad news, and I often read of someone trying to change a flat tyre that cannot loosen an over-tightened lug nut/bolt.  Missing keys for locking lug nuts/bolts is another common problem.

Be safe (and prepared ) out there folks.   :tu:
babola: "Enjoy your tools and don't be afraid to air your opinion and feelings here, but do it in courteous and respectable way toward others, of course."

us Offline powernoodle

Reply #31 on: October 01, 2023, 06:30:38 PM
I broke a stud off the wheel once while changing a tire/tyre on the side of the road, and had to get the vehicle towed.  I have Super Monkey Strength, you know.  Maybe the only solution to the loose/tight lug nut problem is a torque wrench and regular check-ups.

us Offline NutSAK

• Admin Team
Reply #32 on: October 01, 2023, 08:10:37 PM
Hmmm, I'm usually paranoid about the opposite problem - over-tightened wheel log nuts/bolts.  After one of my (road only) cars has been in for a service or other work and I get it back home I always loosen and re-tighten all the wheel lug nuts/bolts.  I often find a some that are too tight (a few too many ugga-duggas on the air wrench), and very occasionally I find one that is too loose.  Either can be bad news, and I often read of someone trying to change a flat tyre that cannot loosen an over-tightened lug nut/bolt.  Missing keys for locking lug nuts/bolts is another common problem.

Be safe (and prepared ) out there folks.   :tu:

I've had this problem as well.  I've found that nearly all shops don't use a torque wrench.  Once I got my car back from having tires mounted to find that they had been tightened to approximately 300lb-ft, vs the proper 80 lb-ft.  I have only one local shop I trust to do it right.
- Terry

ca Offline Grant Lamontagne

• Head Turd Polisher
  • Administrator
  • Just Bananas
  • Optimum instrumentum est inter aures
Reply #33 on: October 02, 2023, 01:02:54 AM
I agree Terry- the shop I deal with is very well known in the Jeep and Off Road community.  He is an unlicensed mechanic, which just means he can't do legal related things like our annual safety inspections.

He is the only one most of the off road community trusts, and he is always super busy fixing and modifying all manner of rigs that he never overcharges or fixes anything that doesn't need to be done. 

Amusingly enough, I have been going to him for over a decade, but I have another connection to him- Megan's father used to own one of the Jeep dealerships here in town and he gave this mechanic his first job, introducing him to the world of Jeeps.

He also tends to charge me too little, and I almost always toss some extra to him, or bring them coffee, or both.

For example, the above work, including pulling the dent in the fender cost $100, but I paid him $150, as I kind of messed up his plans for the day!

Def
Leave the dents as they are- let your belongings show their scars as proudly as you do yours.

us Offline Farmer X

• Master of the unexciting
Reply #34 on: October 03, 2023, 07:00:29 AM
Maybe the only solution to the loose/tight lug nut problem is a torque wrench and regular check-ups.
+1. And don't forget to release spring tension before you put your torque wrench away!

I should check my lug nuts, too...
USN 2000-2006

Afflicted with Alox-Pox and seeking the cure: more Alox!

pt Offline pfrsantos

• Absolute Zombie Club
  • Oxygen and magnesium toghether?! OMg!
Reply #35 on: October 03, 2023, 12:45:39 PM
+1. And don't forget to release spring tension before you put your torque wrench away!

I should check my lug nuts, too...

:D :D :D :D

I don't have OCD, I have OCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Eff the ineffable, scrut the inscrutable.

IYCRTYSWTMTFOT

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD