Multitool.org Forum
+-

Hello Lurker! Remove this ad and much more by logging in.

I've found the best drill bits for SAK pins and they're CHEAP

gb Offline TomThumb

I've been struggling to drill out SAK pins cleanly. At first I was using some cheap 'titanium coated' eBay 2.2 / 2.5mm bits but they were grinding away the pins instead of drilling, producing a lot of dust and the tips were moving all over the place.

I found these on Ali Express:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001887869534.html

You can get both 2.2mm and 2.5mm bits delivered for $5. Go for the "65" option, blue coloured.

They'll take a while to arrive but if you spend over $10 they'll come in a week or two. Maybe grab two sets, or add a 3mm to handle 93mm pins.

I used them today for the first time to drill out a set of pins and the difference is night and day! Lovely curls of metal coming off, like a knife through butter. First time I've managed a completely undamaged set of bushings. If you're just starting out like me, they're highly recommended.

In theory they have a hardness of HRC 65 so should be able to drill through the blades as well (HRC 52-53) but I haven't tried that yet.

us Offline ThisAlarm7

Re: I've found the best drill bits for SAK pins and they're CHEAP
Reply #1 on: October 08, 2023, 03:32:35 PM
Good to know thanks!

us Offline tattoosteve99

• Absolutely No Life Club
Reply #2 on: October 09, 2023, 06:41:58 AM
Here’s a good tip. Use a center drill to start the hole. It may seem redundant but it’s worth for people trying to save the rivets
If I remember correctly, wait, what was I saying?

gb Offline TomThumb

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2023, 11:08:01 PM
Here’s a good tip. Use a center drill to start the hole. It may seem redundant but it’s worth for people trying to save the rivets

Thanks! I use a center punch to get started but the bit still walks sometimes. I've tried to find a self-centering bit large enough to accommodate the bushings, but no luck so far. All the self-centering bits have a maximum opening of 3-4mm and I need >5.2mm

Donations

Operational Funds

Help us keep the Unworkable working!
Donate with PayPal!
April Goal: $300.00
Due Date: Apr 30
Total Receipts: $158.99
PayPal Fees: $9.20
Net Balance: $149.79
Below Goal: $150.21
Site Currency: USD
50%